Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Philippines ?

43K views 187 replies 43 participants last post by  jocat 
#1 ·
I know, I know,this is a longshot, at the most a 1st gen over there. Now I started a thread for the 'noys here ! :p

Me first, lived there the first 21 years of my life.

#3 ·
Moved to Sangley Point (Cavite) halfway through my high school senior year, then left to go to college in the States.

Went back three more times during my Navy career, each time living on or near one of the U.S. bases. The last time I visited was in 1983 -- many changes since then!

I watched the whole "U.S. military get out of the Philippines" and subsequent Mt. Pinatubo debacle with great sadness.

#4 ·
16 years in Pinas and move to US

#6 ·
Was born and raised in Quezon City. Went to Ateneo all my life 'til 1st year high and family relocated to NYC when I was 15. What a big mistake missing out on HS life in Manila. Till this day, I regret not finishing HS in Manila!

Went back in 2000 and I was blown away---talk about culture shock. Interestingly enough, I felt like I really belong there and had reservations about going back to my adopted home.

I now reside in NJ, married for 6 years and have two amazing and lovely kids.

Life is great! (and we know who to thank for that!)

Peace.

--Jules

#8 ·
Born, baptized, raised, schooled, worked, married in Pinas (Davao City/Manila). Spent a year and half here in the States back in '76 as an exchange student. Been living here the last 14 years with wife and kids. Went to Ateneo de Davao University from Kindergarten to law school. Pinoy meet? That would be great!

#9 ·
jlantin said:
Was born and raised in Quezon City. Went to Ateneo all my life 'til 1st year high and family relocated to NYC when I was 15. What a big mistake missing out on HS life in Manila. Till this day, I regret not finishing HS in Manila!

--Jules
Ahhh....my "rival", La Sallista here, GS at Taft, HS at Greenhills.A few years College at Taft. So many stories,so much to tell on this infamous rivalry. :D

#11 ·
Jules,
Now that you mention the girls, it brings back memories. Yeah,I miss it too,haven't been back since day one over here. I'm sure it'll be a big culture shock for me too if I ever do go back. Good thing our HS class has a group going online. I can keep up with goings on back in the PI.

Go Archers !

#19 ·
Four day new owner of a '99,

...born in Manila, moved stateside in '78, married 18 years and raising three fine boys - 17, 13 and 8 in west Chicago burb with Canadian wife. Went back in 2001 and 2003 and astounded by changes in the cities of Manila, Quezon, Makati, etc. Too congested and polluted however retail scene is closer to States w/ Starbucks, Gap, etc. Funny how much things have changed in cities but time stood still for outlying rural areas. And don't get me started on the cell phones and text messaging!

But enjoyed both visits and planning on doing this every other year. You can't beat the hospitality, buying power of the dollar and the sumptious food!

99 Odyssey LX, canyonstone silver, 52k miles
97 SL500 sport pkg 1, triple black, 27k miles
97 Cavalier convertible, teal, 65k miles
90 Corolla, silver, 156k miles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.