Why I don't like Honda Auto Center of Bellevue
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't like Honda Auto Center of Bellevue

Why I don't like Honda Auto Center of Bellevue

After months of thinking about how best to replace our aging Windstar, we finally bought a brand new Honda Odyssey 2006 EX-L. We bought it at Honda Auto Center in Bellevue, Washington from their Internet salesman, Craig Jorgensen.

Like all salesman, he's a friendly guy. He has 11 years on the job and knew the answers to the obvious questions but did not seem to sleep, breathe, and know cars as well as another salesman we had worked with. In the end I felt he lived up to the car dealer'sreputation for sleeze

I use the Internet because I don't like to haggle when I get to the dealership. Craig was clear that he would match the $500 above invoice that seemed to be the lowest price I'd find from any other dealer in the area. I'm a busy guy and I get no pleasure out of running from one dealer, playing negotiation games like pretending I'm going to walk if I don't get the price I want.

That's where he took advantage of me. I arrived at the dealership prepared to pick up the car he quoted over the phone. After an hour or two of "paperwork", he suddenly realized that the car comes with $520 worth of extras (mud flaps, anti-tire left locks, wheel well moldings, door edge guards, and cargo tray also had to be purchased since they are installed on every model of the EX-L -- we install them because every customer requests them. )

I should have just walked at that point. These extras were not advertised on the invoice (an extra sheet was taped perhaps after the fact???) in the window of the car, so is this false advertising? We intended to buy and EX-L as outlined by Honda yet we were sold an upgraded one, is this bait and switch?

Same style of sleazy negotiating when we discussed my trade-in. I had carefully researched the Kelly Blue Book price, and I knew the bottom line value of my car. He did the classic negotiator's dismissive laugh at me, just shaking his head and rolling his eyes as he quoted me a price half of what I was expecting.

Ultimately I was able to buy the car for

$27,708 (invoice)
    + 403 (extras)
    + 500 (dealer profit)
    + 2635 (tax)
    = 31,814.65

I'm happy with the car, but if I had it to do over again, I would have insisted on a firm, bottom-line quote, faxed to me before driving to the dealership. Given the bait-and-switch tactics and the haggling (for a so-called no-haggle deal), I may have been better off at Kirkland Honda, or even West Hills Honda in Bremerton (the other one that shows up on an Edmunds request for area quotes).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I learned to stay away from Bellevue Honda more than a decade ago, and I have not been sorry since.

If you have easy access to South Tacoma Honda, I reccommend them for service. I bought an Accord there via the Internet (no hassel), and now I have my '04 Odyssey EX serviced there.

The Best,

Tony

I 2nd S. Tacoma Honda. You can read my tale in the Dealer Stories section of the forums.
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES 1/5/06 Pick-up

1995 Honda Accord EX V6 157,000 miles

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Unhappy customers

I think it is unfortunate that people can post here and slander a dealership and salesperson.

I would guess that in Sprague's example, if the other side could be told things would look a lot different.

Any salesperson who has spent eleven years in one store has got to be doing a pretty good job. I'm sure he would have a totally different side of the story to tell.

There are lousy salespeople to be sure, and there are difficult, unpleasant customers as well.

The people who pay the least usually end up the unhappiest in the end.

Congratulations on Googling your dealership's name. Now you know what we, the customers think. Dealer add ons are sleazy to say the least. Some people do not like having their taste dictated. I once made a dealer remove pin-stripping. It was not on the vehicle when I made them an offer a week earlier. By the time they called back realizing I was offering them a good price, they had decided to add "a little something extra" Sales managers at auto dealerships are not long on taste. Almost all dealerships, even good ones, put a bad taste in peoples mouths. spragues post clearly shows an example of misrepresentation. (a nice way of saying lie) No one ever feels good being lied to. Salespersons are not successful based on customer service, but on how much money they make for themselves and the dealer. Power to the people!

I didn't google anything.

My point was simply that there are always two sides to every story. If that customer was that opposed to those accessories they should have taken an incoming unit without accessories.

Also, used Windstars are one of the least desirable cars on the market. People are afraid of them (for good reason) and they never bring anything near what the various internet sources say they are worth. That unhappy person could have simply sold it themselves if they really thought it was worth more.

Hardly the dealers fault they had an undesirable trade.

I've never traded in a car. When I'm done with them there either over or going to a friend or relative.
    The last two new vehicles I bought I used a surrogate auto shopper at my credit union. When picking up the car I never left the fleet manager's office. Spent all of 5 minutes signing paperwork and the rest of the time doing the Honda mandatory vehicle walk through. It's disheartening how many people here report being so tired and disgusted by the time they get to that step.
    If you did not Google your dealership name to get here, you should and see what people have to say.

Oh, and here is a story about two of the times I bought new cars (before the last two) Twice (different transactions) the finance manager has left the room and left the paperwork there showing clearly the actual invoice. right there for me to read. Unbelievable.....

Re: Unhappy customers

Originally posted by isellhondas
    I think it is unfortunate that people can post here and slander a dealership and salesperson.
    "slander: A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community... If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience."

Don't you mean libel? And what exactly was untruthful about that post?
    2003 EX Slate Green

If isellhondas would like to tell the other side of the story, I'm all ears. If a dealer is honest and shows respect to the customer, then he shouldn't mind when people like me provide their open feedback. I told you what I think about Bellevue Honda -- judge for yourself.

Incidentally, I'm still happy with my Odyssey six months later, but I go elsewhere for service, thanks to the feedback I have on this and other forums.

Last month I bought another car, this time from Bob Bridge in Renton and my experience was night-and-day better. The salesman was very up-front throughout the whole process, treated me and my time with respect, and made a very happy customer for life.

Re: Re: Unhappy customers

Originally posted by aturko
    "slander: A type of defamation. Slander is an untruthful oral (spoken) statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community... If the statement is made via broadcast media -- for example, over the radio or on TV -- it is considered libel, rather than slander, because the statement has the potential to reach a very wide audience."

Don't you mean libel? And what exactly was untruthful about that post?

Its amazing that "isellhondas" could know enough about the situation to say it was slander!
    2003 EXL-NAVI
    1999 CHEVY S10 LS

I agree with spraque 100% on the sleaziness of Honda Auto Center of Bellevue. I dealt with them before. The salesmen are just the worst kind. My friends, neighbors, and myself can attest to that.

The sales department of the three dealerships closest to me (Bellevue, Kirkland, and Renton in order of sleaziness) are all "BAD".

As for service, Renton Honda is actually good. I do not understand why there is such a difference between sales and service departments in Renton Honda. I actually drive the extra miles to Renton Honda for all service work from Sammamish.

Additional info can be found in this thread.

Good or Bad Service departments in Seattle Area?

Another example of sleazy-beyond-belief car salesmen (from hell?).

When I read the following story in Seattle Times more than two weeks ago, for some strange reason it reminded me of some of the salesmen I dealt with in some of the Honda dealerships.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=car+salesman

I also in general don't like to typical car sales tactics at dealers. I bought my Ody at Honda of Kirkland and worked with a sales lady who was straight forward and honest. I also was referred to her by a friend who has been in the auto industry for many years.

As far as service goes. I am told Honda of Kirkland has an excellent service department. In the end I got a better deal at the dealer then any private sale Ody I drove when you add in all the extras a certified vehicle brings.
    Brad
    Hidden Content
    Certified '03 EXL-Res, Redrock Pearl with gray leather, leather and wood grain steering wheel, factory towing package

'66 Mustang coupe, white with red interior, Hipo 289, 4 speed, 3.25 gears, scared the Ody will beat it!

'96 Dodge Grand Caravan
    '92 Toyota Pickup

Oh the memories, I bought a Civic from Honda Auto Center of Bellevue in '95 and had the same experience. After the deal was done they wanted to charge me for dealer installed options that I did not order. They said that they put them on all the cars. I said fine, thats your decision but I aint paying for 'em so if ya'll just run the car into the shop and yard that stuff off of there we're good to go. Turns out the dealership policy expressly forbids the removal of the dealer installed options. So, in the end I took the options at a reduced price. And the Bellevue dealership is not unique in this regard. A different dealership pulled the same stunt on us when we bought our Odyssey a couple of years ago. This time I reported the incident to American Honda. The sales manager must have got an earful 'cause he called us at home and was pissed off that we done him brown. I just don't get some of these people; they'll queer the whole deal over a couple o' hundred bucks worth of crap the customer doesn't want. Go figure.
    Mark

'05 Ody EX-L Slate Green/Olive
    '01 CR-V

anyone here with 1998 gen?

Hi,

I am having issues with my 1998 odyssey. I need a wheel, I think I can get that OK. I need to replace the windshield, I think I can get that Ok .
    I need a new HONDA Radio . I see one on line for $125 but like doing business in person, any ideas? (tried the junk yards)
    also the engine light reading code PO 740. any one solve this without replacing the tranny ? who did the work and diagnostics ?
    As I have read and can relate , going to ANY dealership is unpleasant at the least for me. Althought I did run into an honest service person at Kirkland who read my code and got the part list and cost and did not charge me anything, so I trust him. However am by far not able to afford a new tranny so any help would be great. Have seen the stuff about the gas cap and changing fluid, will try that too.
    BIG ? do any of you think hitting something enough to jolt the van hard and bend the wheel (front) rim and flatten the tire would cause dammage to any part inside of the transmission or ? that is not detectable by sight ...but would set off the light and that code?
    Thanks, Catherine.
    1998 Heather Odyssey. 92000 mi

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast