Power Steering Pump Fluid Bubbling
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power Steering Pump Fluid Bubbling

Power Steering Pump Fluid Bubbling

As I was doing the ATF flush today, I noticed a steady stream of air bubbles on one side of the PS pump reservoir. The van had been running a while, as I was checking for leaks after the ATF flush. Is this normal? Nothing really wrong with the steering, although it feels a little stiff to me. That said, I just came from an '08 Toyota Highlander with electric steering which was very easy to turn (too easy, IMO).

At first I thought the fluid was boiling, but I think it's just air. It's an '07 EX-L with 41K. Any ideas? If not normal, is it harmful?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

After I got my van serviced, before I started to drive off, I decided to park it, engine still running.

I popped the hood, and was just looking over the engine. I did see my ATF reversoir, filled to the 'max' line and it was also bubbling. I thought nothing of it as I would imagine the pump was cycling the fluid through.
    2007 EX-L Desert Silver 80,900 KMs (as of March 2011)
    Original Michelin tires wore out at 68000 Kms
    Replaced with Toyo Extensas (awesome!)
    2000 ZX-7R - my Toy

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    I think you mean the power steering fluid reservoir and not the ATF reservoir.

You both should get the power steering TSB checked our under warranty ASAP: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-005.PDF
    Last edited by New Dad New Van; 08-03-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Whoopsie. Thanks for the correction, yes the power steering reservoir is what I mean to type down.

My reservoir has already been replaced (paid out of pocket, 2 months after warranty expired).

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    I think you mean the power steering fulid reservoir and not the ATF reservoir.

You both should get the power steering TSB checked our under warranty ASAP: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A07-005.PDF
    2000 ZX-7R - my Toy

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    There should be no air in the power steering system. Bubbles are not good. Check for leaks.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Ah ok - Thanks for the heads up. I'll bring it in to my dealer to check it out.

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    There should be no air in the power steering system. Bubbles are not good. Check for leaks.
    2000 ZX-7R - my Toy

Took the van in to have it looked at, along with a safety recall and a ECM flash for the transmission shift.

They diagnosed a bad PS pump, of course resulting from the inadequate reservoir. With 42K miles, they wouldn't cover it under warranty, even with the TSB on it and an admittedly faulty design. $542 parts and labor

I have an extended warranty from CNA National. Waiting to hear if they'll cover it. They'd better - nothing in my contract says they won't.

Not sure why they don't do a recall on this, as it's obviously faulty and takes >36K miles to rear its ugly head.

Not impressed so far with the engineering....

I've heard from a Honda Mechanic that this issue is VERY common in the 3rd generation Odyssey. It happened to me also about two months after warranty expired in '09, and has resurfaced again in the last couple weeks. So, be prepared to fix it again after another 36K miles more or less.

Why is there no forced recall on this?

cnn
    Quote Originally Posted by Soudbash View Post
    I've heard from a Honda Mechanic that this issue is VERY common in the 3rd generation Odyssey. It happened to me also about two months after warranty expired in '09, and has resurfaced again in the last couple weeks. So, be prepared to fix it again after another 36K miles more or less.

Why is there no forced recall on this?
    For the PS Reservoir ($13 at local dealer), personally I would replace this every 2y/24K just to prevent PS Pump damage.

I wrote the procedure on DIY PS Reservoir here, see posts #25 and #26:

Power Steering Pump Replacement DIY
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Hello CNN,

Im a bit confused here and I read the wonder post especially your contribution.

You mention earlier that you replaced the reservoir for $13 every 2y/24K to prevent PS pump damage? Why? Why replace the Reservoir so many times? I would think replace the fluid, but why the PS Reservoir?

I have an 1998 Accord with 140K. I only replace the fluid every 30K, but never the Reservoir. Whats wrong with the original reservoir? The TSB mentions replacing the pump.

Thank you for the education.

Ariel

ahh, I got it. The metal shavings from the power steering rack clogs up the mesh in the reserviour.

I particularly like the telescopic magnet trick to remove the shaving, but maybe it is definately cheaper to replace the reserviour.

This 2007 with 78K I picked up doesnt have a power steering issue. The fluid looks dark, but I dont know the history since I am second owner. I will order a res just in case and replace that.

Nice to learn new things. Thank you CNN

cnn
    Quote Originally Posted by arielb1 View Post
    ahh, I got it. The metal shavings from the power steering rack clogs up the mesh in the reservoir.
    Actually the metal shavings from the PS Pump (remember the pump uses the "vanes" in an eccentric chamber to drive it), and not the PS Rack.

The bottom line is the mesh is clogged.

For best insurance, change the PS Reservoir every 2y/24K, it is only $13 at local dealer.

If you read my DIY, then I was amazed at the rates that the PS Pump runs: it sucked the entire 12 oz of PS Fluid in within 1.5 seconds.
    Figure it out using simple math:

12 oz per 1.5 seconds x 60 seconds = 480 oz/minute = this is the amount of fluid flowing through the filter mesh per minute!
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Quote Originally Posted by roadcarver View Post
    After I got my van serviced, before I started to drive off, I decided to park it, engine still running.

I popped the hood, and was just looking over the engine. I did see my ATF reversoir, filled to the 'max' line and it was also bubbling. I thought nothing of it as I would imagine the pump was cycling the fluid through.
    When I just bought my brand new Nissan Titan and I just wanted to look at the engine compartment while the engine was running. I saw the the ps resevoir was bubbling and I thought it was not normal. I asked on the forum and they said it was normal. They said if I'd never seen the bubbling before it's problably because I'd never seen a resevoir made out of clear plastic. I had the truck over 5 yrs without an issue of ps.
    05 EX-L/RES

The bubbles can also be coming from a bad O ring on the intake side of the power steering pump, there is a change to a new O ring honda # 91345rda-ao1 which is RED, the old one is black, there is a video on utube showing this procedure

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements