DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL

cnn

- OEM Battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty (no pro-rated plan!).

- There is a high incidence of premature battery failure in the 3rd generation Odyssey. Mine failed at 37 months and 34K miles.

- I use Autozone Duralast 24F-DL. "DL" = Duralast.

- Stay away from “Everlast” series ($10 cheaper but not worth it).

- Autozone has a large network of stores in the US so this helps when you are traveling and have battery problems. Autozone battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty and pro-rated plan.

- As of August 2007, I paid $79.95 for the 24F battery.

- Changing the battery is very easy but there are some tricks that may help people.

- All you need is a 10-mm wrench.

- Cut the plastic zip tie holding the electrical cable sheath (Yellow arrow; be careful not to cut the insulating sheath), then undo the “Plastic Nut”. The 10-mm metal nut holding the Battery hold down is underneath the Plastic Nut.

- Note the retaining hooks (2 of them) face away from the battery itself.

- Use some tiny amount of grease on the 10-mm nuts to prevent seizing later.

- Remove the Plastic Box (that holds the battery) and give it a good clean with some water.

- When all done, I apply a thin smear of grease on around the battery terminal areas to minimize corrosion.

- Check water level to be sure all the battery plates are submerged. Water level should be about 1 inch below the very top surface of the battery.

That is all folks, not difficult at all!

Hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL-odybattery.jpg  
    Last edited by cnn; 08-11-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

easier than my Olds van with side post terminals, a body reinforcement bar you had to remove and the fuse box and all its heavy wires was on top of it as well.

FYI, contrary to popular myth, a coat of grease on the posts before assembly helps to maintain clean contacts as well as grease on outside. Old WWII subs had grease all over their battery terminals and connections and their performance was mission critical.

good job posting.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

Great DIY!

Really appreciate this and the pic. Got little over 4 years out of my factory installed battery starting to have problems. I'm not very handy so a little nervous about trying this so just trying to get all my ducks in a row before attempting. Just a few follow-up questions for you:

1. Will a 10mm socket wrench with extension work ok or do you need a 10mm hand wrench?

2. What exactly do you mean when you say the retaining hooks face away from the battery? Can you point on the picture you have?

3. Once battery is in what else do you have to do. Is it just enter the radio code?

Thanks again for this. Really appreciate it!

2007 Odyssey EX

pvp

re: hook

look at the following picture (not from an odyssey, but same principle):

http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/images/si323t.gif

The curved portion at the bottom of the retaining "J" hooks should face away from the battery casing.
    2007 EX-L / Dealer installed aftermarket RES & Remote Starter

Re: DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL

Originally posted by cnn

- OEM Battery has a 3-yr/36-month warranty (no pro-rated plan!).

dang mine just died, its not 36 mos yet (6/6/08 so 31 or so months old, w/ 50k) . went and replaced it w/ an interstate from sams......
    '10 Aprilia Tuono Factory
    '08 Suzuki Hayabusa-SOLD
    '08 Ody Touring
    + stealthcord.com and V1
    + xenondepot.com phillips 4300k kit
    + Huper Optik tint on ALL windows
    + Pilot Pads
    + Superbright LEDs
    + VentureShield Clear Bra
    + Weathertech floorliners and
    cargo liner

My second Honda battery lasted 23 months. It kept dying in cold weather and not starting. The first one lasted about the same. These factory Honda batteries are too small and junk. So I went with the Autozone Duralast Gold.
    Gunnar

Current Rides:
    2006 Touring NAV & RES
    2001 Black Volvo S60 2.4 Turbo

Collection of past kid haulers :
    2006 Armada LE 4x4 47k (sold 11/09)
    2001 T&C Limited 110k (sold 08/09);2004 Sienna XLE 70k (sold 04/07);2000 T&C LX (sold 09/06);1999 Ford Expedition 100k (sold 04;1999 Plymouth Voyager 50k (sold 02)

Volvos of the past
    1995 Red 850 n/a gave away @ 120k; 1996 Grey 850 n/a traded 99k;1990 White 740 sold 150k

Mine died at about 40 months but the worst part was it went without giving any warning. The car had been starting fine with no negative indications and then we parked the car on a warm sunny day went to restart and it was totally dead, not even a weak crank. Usually there are signs.

I have the 24F "Gold" which is just like the one on your picture but with a yellow top. My first one lasted 11 months and was promptly replaced under warranty. Also, I noticed the posts on the battery seem a bit too small for the Ody's cables. You can tighten them up but they don't seem to clamp the posts very well. Has anyone else had this problem ??

Quote Originally Posted by itr0754 View Post
    I have the 24F "Gold" which is just like the one on your picture but with a yellow top. My first one lasted 11 months and was promptly replaced under warranty. Also, I noticed the posts on the battery seem a bit too small for the Ody's cables. You can tighten them up but they don't seem to clamp the posts very well. Has anyone else had this problem ??
    I'm having the same problem. Just changed mine last night using the 24F Gold and can't get the cables tight. Any solutions yet?

cnn
    These are my tricks over the years:

1. Get a pair of pliers and gently bend the cable terminal ends (where the bolt is) OUTWARD just a bit, so when you tighten the bolt, it bites better.
    Do not over-tighten this 10-mm bolt, just snug it.

2. Or get a file and file the cable terminal ends (where they touch each other).

#1: Bend OUTWARD (Red)
    #2: File flat parts (Blue)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY: 2007 Honda Odyssey Autozone Duralast 24F-DL-odybattery.jpg  
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

im planning on replacing the battery on my 06 this weekend. Had a question though. Will i need to unlock my radio afterwards? Where can i get the unlock code?

Nevermind i found a few useful suggestions on how to locate the code via the "search" feature

Quote Originally Posted by saleenssc View Post
    im planning on replacing the battery on my 06 this weekend. Had a question though. Will i need to unlock my radio afterwards? Where can i get the unlock code?
    I changed the battery in my 07 a few months ago and didn't need to enter the codes.
    Mike.

07 White EX.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements