sliding door panel removal, anyone?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sliding door panel removal, anyone?

sliding door panel removal, anyone?

I am trying to remove sliding door inside panels to add sound deadening material.

Did not find any posts on this in my searches (found several for front door panel removal but not for sliding door)

Any one has this info and can post this.

BTW, there are no repair manual books for 2005+ odyssey like they do for other cars including up to 2004 odyssey...

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

You can get access to the online repair manual for 10$ for 3 or 4 days. I got access and "printed" a bunch of them to PDF, which is proving very useful.

Looking at the one for the sliding door panel, there do not seem to be screws but you have to remove the handle (normal clip like window crank), the switch panel (using a plastic trim panel tool and prying it up) and also loosen the window sash to allow the panel to move up, I guess.

As a note, and since I am interested in doing it myself, what are you using as deadening material? I plan on using CLD tiles from http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/.

And please keep us informed about how it goes and how effective it is!

Nicolas
    Current:
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Weathertech rubber mats and trunk liner, Focus Design hood deflector, Polk speakers (in progress)

Previous:
    2000 Subaru Legacy L wagon - Head unit and speakers, hood deflector

1982 Mercedes 300D Turbodiesel - Head unit and speakers
    1985 Honda Accord LX

OK, I got the sound deadening material in the front doors. I have to say the sound did go down, but not as much as I had hoped... but perhaps I just need to finish off with the rear panels also.
    what also improved as a side effect was the sound from the crappy stock speakers.
    I was contemplating changing the speakers too while I was at it, but postponed that for now; and perhaps i am a little happier with stock speakers (for now at least)

I used sound deadening material from one of the ebay sellers (for about 130 for 100sq ft) I think they were not as thick as expected, so I had to double up on the layers; both inside wall and outside wall ( I had to use the holes in the metal panels to apply material on the inside wall)

Directions for panel removal are here:
    [HowTo] Replace the Front door speakers (with pics)
    and
    Lots of speaker room!

For the rear sliding door panels, I do not have clear directions yet; nicomtl says there are no screws but I found this post that says there is:
    http://www.fixya.com/cars/t1972605-2...ing_door_panel

I will try this next weekend.

In the mean while, if someone has pdf or printed directions and can post it (or send them to me) I will appreciate.
    I can then post detailed instructions on this forum with pictures since this is not (yet) available here.
    2007 X3 (sport & prem pckg, heated, parking sen, xenon)
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL
    old cars:
    2007 Mercedes R-350
    2007 Chrysler T&C
    2001 BMW X5
    1998 BMW 528
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE
    1994 Mitsu Eclipse GSX-Turbo

Bumping this old thread. Was there a hidden screw behind the switch? And how were the results from sound deadening the sliding doors?

I deadened the driver's door with Frost King, and even my wife noticed the results. I now plan to do all the doors and the rear panels, if I can figure out how to remove all the interior pieces.
    I am a Mortgage Professional. If you're looking to purchase or refinance...PM me. Special care given to Odyclub members.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnel View Post
    Bumping this old thread. Was there a hidden screw behind the switch? And how were the results from sound deadening the sliding doors?

I deadened the driver's door with Frost King, and even my wife noticed the results. I now plan to do all the doors and the rear panels, if I can figure out how to remove all the interior pieces.
    As I said, the tech maual for our 2007 does not mention a screw. The model changed a bit in 2008, so there may be one on 2009s. PM if you want to PDF for the panel.

My turn Tom ask a question now :-) : Where did you apply deadener on the front door? Do you have pictures?

Nicolas
    Current:
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L - Weathertech rubber mats and trunk liner, Focus Design hood deflector, Polk speakers (in progress)

Previous:

1985 Honda Accord LX

sliding door panel removal, anyone?-odyssey_door.jpg

Here is a photo of before I started.
    Unfortunately I did not take a picture of when I got done.

In this picture I am showing arrows of the openings in the door panel that I used to reach behind and fill up the sound deadening material on the metal that is outise shell of door.

I followed this by applying the material to completely cover the door inside shell also.
    2007 X3 (sport & prem pckg, heated, parking sen, xenon)
    2006 Honda Odyssey EXL
    old cars:
    2007 Mercedes R-350
    2007 Chrysler T&C
    2001 BMW X5
    1998 BMW 528
    1997 Nissan Maxima GLE
    1994 Mitsu Eclipse GSX-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by saws View Post
    Attachment 8715

Here is a photo of before I started.
    Unfortunately I did not take a picture of when I got done.

In this picture I am showing arrows of the openings in the door panel that I used to reach behind and fill up the sound deadening material on the metal that is outise shell of door.

I followed this by applying the material to completely cover the door inside shell also.
    Thanks for the photo. Were you able to get into the sliding door? Looking at pics, it doesn't appear you can get behind to apply without removing the motor assembly. Really curious if it made an impact on road noise??

Quote Originally Posted by nicomtl View Post
    As I said, the tech maual for our 2007 does not mention a screw. The model changed a bit in 2008, so there may be one on 2009s. PM if you want to PDF for the panel.

My turn Tom ask a question now :-) : Where did you apply deadener on the front door? Do you have pictures?

Nicolas
    Can you email the PDF to acastillo001 at yahoo dot com?
    Here was my door after installing Frost King. I chose it because after stripping my M3 and installing B-Quiet (dynamat type) everywhere, it eliminated much resonating, but not actually much "road noise". Frost king is adhesive backed foam and weighs nothing, and foam is much better at blocking road noise than ashpalt/butyl based dampeners. Google "C5 corvette frost king" for some reviews.

I plan to do the passenger door, sliders, lazy susan well, rear door, and if I can figure out how the 3rd row rear panels come off, those as well. I searched for hours last night and found nothing.
    I am a Mortgage Professional. If you're looking to purchase or refinance...PM me. Special care given to Odyclub members.

PDF is on its way and thanks both for the pictures. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up to install speakers in the front and sound deadener in the doors and rear body panels so this helps to know what I can look forward to.

Where did you get the Frost King? Home Depot (US) only shows their narrow foam strips, not the duct fan product (which I guess is what you used...).

Nicolas
    Current:

Previous:

1985 Honda Accord LX

Quote Originally Posted by nicomtl View Post
    PDF is on its way and thanks both for the pictures. I am just waiting for the weather to warm up to install speakers in the front and sound deadener in the doors and rear body panels so this helps to know what I can look forward to.

Where did you get the Frost King? Home Depot (US) only shows their narrow foam strips, not the duct fan product (which I guess is what you used...).

Nicolas
    So much room in the front doors for a good speaker. I bolted in a Dynaudio MW160 (just shy of 7") with no modifications. Mounting the crossover inside the vapor barrier, or running a wire for the tweeter thru the boot does not look like fun though.

I bought the Frost King from Lowes (a Home Depot type chain). It's been sitting in my garage for 2yrs, along with 9 cans of 3m Undercoat. Nice thing about Frost King is that it's cheap. A roll costs $8 IIRC, and I only used 1/2 to cover what you see in the pic. Much cheaper than car audio sound deadeners, and based on my experience & research, it works better at blocking road noise.

When you get around to the rear body panels, please update the thread. I still can't find any instructions on how to remove those panels.

Thanks for the email. Good karma to you.

Did you see this post: Sliding Door Rail Cover Removal yet? It's about how to replace the sliding door bracket when it goes bad, but also has a segment on how to remove the rear panels (with pics). Hope this helps!

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the door altogether - for the door bracket replacement - any ideas?

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the door altogether - for the door bracket replacement - any ideas?
    Here is an idea of one quick way to remove the door altogether. And you will definitely need to replace the door bracket.

How not to remove sliding door
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L
    2001 Nissan Xterra SE
    1983 Toyota Celica GT-S

Taking the inside panels off on the sliding doors is really easy:

1) remove the small panel that the windows switch is on. Use a plastic tool (I used a bicycle tire removal tool) to get into the gap at the REAR of the panel. Pull the rear up and out (don't pry from the front of the panel - you will break the captive clip).

2) remove the upper trim pieces by prying them off (again using the bike tire removal tool to get under the panels). NOTE: If you have a Touring model, take out the shade clips first by popping the retainer down in the center of the clip. DON'T force them out like I did or you'll be making a trip to the Honda dealer for four new ones )

3) open the door about 12 inches (pull back the door lever and then pull forward to stop it).

4) grasp the opening where the window switch panel was and yank hard - you'll pop the center retainers out and one or two of the retainers around the perimeter. There are no screws. Lift up the panel to clear the sill.

That's all there is to it

Sunil

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements