05 LX Sliding door doesn't close
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 05 LX Sliding door doesn't close

05 LX Sliding door doesn't close

I have a 2005 LX with 110k km (no power sliding doors) and the driver side sliding door does not stay closed. It first started this morning after dropping my daughter off at school. The door opened normally with no difficulty. When I went to close it, it closed but didn't stay shut. It took several attempts to close until the 10th (or so) attempt. This is the first time something like this has happened in the past 3 years of owning this vehicle. The only difference today is that we received an extreme cold snap (-10 C or 14F).

I did look at the post about the power doors not closing, and I'm wondering if it could be the same issue with the closing mechanism. But I don't think that the power door mechanism is the same as the mechanism on my LX.

I haven't had a chance to look at it as my wife has the van now. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone. Thanks
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey LX (She ain't an LX no more)
    --Rosen T8 - 8.4" Overhead DVD Player (w/ 3rd row AUX in)
    --Upgraded to OE 16" EX-L alloys, EX-L CD Changer Deck, USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Rear Backup Sensors, Conversation Mirror, HomeLink
    --TO DO: Fog Lights
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I got the same problem today.
    a 05 LX. Mine is worse, even if I close it, the lock will unlock it automatically after about 10min.
    It's really scary .

My wife should be home soon and I will be able to see if I can see anything obvious. If it's not obvious, I'll have to take off the inner door panel and check out the mechanism.

Worst case scenario it'll be a trip to the dealership. Although I hope it doesn't get to that.

I'll update once I know more. I'll try to take some pics if something looks different or odd.
    --Upgraded to OE 16" EX-L alloys, EX-L CD Changer Deck, USA Spec PA11-HON2y, Rear Backup Sensors, Conversation Mirror, HomeLink
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

Have you checked the tracks and guides for ice?

Well, the simplest explanation was the cause. It was just extremely cold today and the mechanism most likely was not moving fully. I've lubricated the mechanism as much as I can from the outside. When the weather gets warmer I will take off the inner panel and lubricate the moving parts fully with some of the 3M lubricating spray.
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

cnn
    Couple things:

- Clean all tracks from dirt, a vacuum machine with a small rubber hose attachment will do it. You may have to fashion some adapter (or duct tape) so the small hose fits into a Shop Vac.

- Then lubricate all the moving parts (tracks, roller, door latch).

- Very often a small rock, stone can cause your symptoms, so don't forget to look carefully for those small rocks/stone!
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

I woke up this morning and found the door to be opening and closing normally now. At some point when the weather warms up I will still be opening the doors to clean and lubricate the mechanisms properly. Until then, I hope things continue to work properly (knock on wood).
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

My door unlocked itself and half opened again this morning when I drive.
    I clearly did lock it securely before I drive.

I manually check the outside of latch and found it is able to lock.

I guess something inside the door that controls the locking mechanism of latch must malfunction due to cold weather (-5).

Anyone know where is the best place to service this kind of work? My local dealer sucks and I really hesitate to go there.

Is locksmith better on this job than regular mechanics?

Originally posted by HondaUpNorth
    I woke up this morning and found the door to be opening and closing normally now. At some point when the weather warms up I will still be opening the doors to clean and lubricate the mechanisms properly. Until then, I hope things continue to work properly (knock on wood).

A locksmith won't be able to do anything. I would go to a dealership.
    - 2008 Honda Accord EX-L

Oh wow. Had the same problem with mine this morning. It was 18* in Central NJ. Rear part of the door would not close completely. I ended up holding down the close switch until it finally closed shut.

I did the same thing,
    but my problem is the door will automatically open after a few minutes driving.

Originally posted by mindoro
    Oh wow. Had the same problem with mine this morning. It was 18* in Central NJ. Rear part of the door would not close completely. I ended up holding down the close switch until it finally closed shut.

Originally posted by wolfort
    I did the same thing,
    but my problem is the door will automatically open after a few minutes driving.
    Yikes. Not open all the way though, right? And that's with the doors on locked position?

door is on locked position before I went to driver seat.
    Then after a few minutes driving, it unlocked an sliding door pop out.

Originally posted by mindoro
    Yikes. Not open all the way though, right? And that's with the doors on locked position?

Fixed, at least temporarily.

I called the shop1, which had good reputation. Told me I need replace rear latch. But part will arrive next week and want me put deposit if I want this fixed. I really want to get it fixed before weekend.

So I went to dealer. They want to repair a list of things.
    Quote me 4 hour labor plus possible parts. Roughly $600+part+tax. And the rear latch, the part probably need to be replaced, is back ordered.

Then I called the garage that I usually do my service. They told me they are not specialized on this and ref me to an autobody shop.

Then I went to the bodyshop and luckily meet the owner of that shop. he didn't remove the panel at all.

Simply, he used heat gun to completely thaw frozen water or soften or grease/lube inside the latch from outside. Then spray some foaming lube (white bottle, no brand on the bottle) to every possible parts of the rear latch that he can reach. And it fixed.

He told me it's some pivot inside seized. After years of use, lube/grease no longer coated on all surface of the pivot, and water will catch it. When water freeze, it get seized.

What I can do in future is lube it periodically. He didn't recommend anything, but he said wd40 is mainly for water displacement, it won't last long and ask me to check the retail products myself since he is not very familar with current products in walmart/target. But he did mentions the spray should combine two function: water displacement and lube.

It's a temperary solution, the problem won't come back if lubed frequently.

Other wise, he will have to open the panel, replace the latch or clean/lube the part.

I did a oil change there and he didn't charge me anything for this repair.

I search the forum, and find this thread might be what he described. But it looks like it's a power sliding door in this thread, no the manual door on LX.

2005 Ody LS sliding door latch

Originally posted by wolfort
    door is on locked position before I went to driver seat.
    Then after a few minutes driving, it unlocked an sliding door pop out.

16. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements