Replacement Keys
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement Keys

Replacement Keys

Bought a used 07 Ody, and came with one key and Fob.

Looking to get a second key and fob and online searching led me to www.ikeyless.com/honda

It seems that they have the parts necessary, just requiring the cutting and programming of the blank key.

Anyone have any experience with them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

First of all, is it an LX, EX/EXL or Touring. Each has a different remote and Tourings also have two possible remotes. There was a discussion as to whether that actually matters, but I don't recall there ever being a final answer to that. The fobs can be ordered off line but you need to program that all at once. I personally don't have any experience with the website mentioned, but I'm sure someone has. From what I have heard, there is no real way around getting the key cut aside from a dealer because of the chip or something, again someone else should know.
    -- Regards

2006 Sage Brush Pearl Odyssey EX-L (would have been Touring, thanks PAX )

...........Spring.........................Summer.. .......................Fall....................... ...Winter............

Is the EX trim. Only mods are the Honda hitch with PS and ATF cooler and the Touring lazy susan.

I believe that the EX, EXL, and Tourings all have the same type of key, but they do have different remotes. So any blank key would work as long as its coded and cut properly. I would call around and see what each dealer would charge.
    -- Regards

2006 Sage Brush Pearl Odyssey EX-L (would have been Touring, thanks PAX )

...........Spring.........................Summer.. .......................Fall....................... ...Winter............

I'm in a similar situation - bough a used '07 touring that came with 1 key and 1 fob

I've heard some locksmiths can do this also - and some list "transponder keys" in their list of services. (I imagine a locksmith would have to be cheaper than the dealer - otherwise why bother going to the locksmith?)

https://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/logon.asp?Region=US says that locksmiths must be in ALOA in order to register with honda to get the service info - so I assume that if I want to narrow down the number of the locksmiths I need to call I should limit the calling to just ones that are registered with ALOA?

There's only one honda dealer close by, so I'm not very confident their price will be competitive - but I'll try calling them as well.

I called around - there was only one ALOA locksmith in my area and of the 3 I called he is the only one who said he couldn't do the 07 transponder key for me. The first one told me it'd be $90 to do it and the third one I called said they would cut and program a key for $35...

So in case anyone is wondering - it seems that locksmiths can get access to the key stuff without being ALOA members.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Brye View Post
    I called around - there was only one ALOA locksmith in my area and of the 3 I called he is the only one who said he couldn't do the 07 transponder key for me. The first one told me it'd be $90 to do it and the third one I called said they would cut and program a key for $35...

So in case anyone is wondering - it seems that locksmiths can get access to the key stuff without being ALOA members.
    I would be suspect of the $35 one. Whoever they are, they may be able to cut the key, but you better make sure they have the equipment to access the Immobilizer in the Ody. Typically this is the Honda HDS software that dealers have and some 3rd parties can get if they pay a hefty cost.

I say this because a lot of locksmiths think they can just clone the immobilizer code in the key to a different blank key. You used to be able to do this with the older Honda immobilizer keys, but the 2005s and up use immobilzer keys that aren't cloneable. You need to program the van to accept the new key. That's why you normally have to bring the van along with all the keys you have when you get a new key programmed. They have to rewrite the key codes in the Immobilzer. Unless they have 3rd party keys that work otherwise, this is how it is. I know this is how it is with factory keys. They don't have T5 clone keys for this generation of Ody.

Hope this helps...

I did call the $35 place and confirm that they had the immobilizer programmer thing, and they did. I brought in my key blank (it was stamped "R" - I think because it was a replacement for the "V" type)

I went there and the guy cut the key and programmed the immobilizer with a small laptop-type thing that he connected to the car. Worked like a charm!

In case anyone wants to get a honda key done in Utah area - the place is "Orem Locksmith Service" in Orem Ut, 279 N. State Street.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Brye View Post
    I did call the $35 place and confirm that they had the immobilizer programmer thing, and they did. I brought in my key blank (it was stamped "R" - I think because it was a replacement for the "V" type)

I went there and the guy cut the key and programmed the immobilizer with a small laptop-type thing that he connected to the car. Worked like a charm!

In case anyone wants to get a honda key done in Utah area - the place is "Orem Locksmith Service" in Orem Ut, 279 N. State Street.
    That is a VERY good price then if they were able to do it. Was your key blank a genuine Honda key or a 3rd party one? The genuine Honda Odyssey keys (even the blanks) have a V on them. Never heard of a key with an R on them.

Quote Originally Posted by megatron View Post
    That is a VERY good price then if they were able to do it. Was your key blank a genuine Honda key or a 3rd party one? The genuine Honda Odyssey keys (even the blanks) have a V on them. Never heard of a key with an R on them.
    The key blank I bought was from eBay - in the description it said "make sure your key has a 'V' stamped on it".

2009 Honda Odyssey 1 ID48 Accord Ignition Key - eBay (item 150554298686 end time Feb-04-11 23:12:34 PST)

I have no idea why it had an "R" stamped on it - it certainly looks and feels exactly like the other key that has a "V" stamped on it (same honda logo, etc ).

I did ask the guy who I bought it from on ebay if he knows why it has an "R" instead of a "V" so if he replies I'll post it here.

The seller replied:

"Hi,
    we put V chip on it. the R letter has nothing to do with programming process as long as it has correct chip. Thanks."

Ouch, I have to get this done as well. My wife already lost one set of keys with the fob. I'm going to check into that website, thanks.

Extra Key and Remote

I bought from this guy for my key and this guy for my fob.

Both stores on ebay, both products worked perfectly first time.

Pretty happy, saved mucho $$$. My dealer wanted $50 for the key blank and $100 to cut and prog. I got the key for $22 with S/H and had it cut/prog for $35. Key fob easily prog at home.
    ---------------------------------
    2006 EX-L w/ RES & NAV
    Ocean Mist Metallic / Grey Leather

this reminds me, I need to get another set of keys done. Theres a place in coney island brooklyn inside the dmv that cuts and programs keys. I got a set done for my lexus there for less than $100.
    2006 Ocean Mist Honda Odyssey Touring
    2001 Lexus GS300

Got the keys cut and programmed at the local dealer. $80 to do 2 keys and one additional blank included.
    2007 EX 91.5k miles, silver pearl, with Tow package.

Joined the 400 mile club. I've hit 400 miles all of 1 time!

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements