Check engine light - 2006 EX-L
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check engine light - 2006 EX-L

Check engine light - 2006 EX-L

Although there is no noticeable issue with my 2006 EX-L (hesitation, loos of power, etc.), the check engine light has been on for about a week now. I need to drive it on a 300mi (round trip) in two days. Will it be safe to do so without having the car checked out? I will not be able to get to the service center at the local Honda dealershipe before. Thanks for any insight -

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I think I'd go over to Autozone and let them pull the code for free. Then Google the code at home and assess the severity of the CEL light.

Scott

You can have a place like autozone or Advance auto parts pull the code for you and tell you what it is. Do that and post what it is and we'll tell you how bad it is. Sometimes your gas cap is loose and it throws a code. Really. Or it might be something more serious.
    '06 EX-L Red - Mods - Magnum drilled rotors & ceramic pads, stainless lines, Monroe shocks, auto lights, 18" MDX Sport rims/Kuhmo tires. Honda hitch. mud guards. Weather Tech mats. Rad. Screen mod. & trans cooler.
    Issues - R.shocks, 3 eng mounts, blower thermal cut-out, alternator bearing, DVD sound cable, AC clutch bearing, door rattle, what next?
    '12 Kia Optima SX - Turbo GDI 2.0, 274 hp 6 speed
    '07 Saturn Sky Redline project car 1 year and counting on blocks...

Looks like I snuck that one in just before you did Dirkdaddy!

Great advice - I will try your suggestion tomorrow and post the code. Thanks!

I did a little more research, after seeing the note about the gas cap, and found that this symptom (check engine light) will go away after several days (if it is actually related to a loose GAS CAP). It's my wife's car and she remembered not turning the cap until it 'clicks'. She drove it a few more days, taking the chance that it was just a loose gas cap, and sure enough - the light went out! Thanks for your insight - much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by dmc3106 View Post
    I did a little more research, after seeing the note about the gas cap, and found that this symptom (check engine light) will go away after several days (if it is actually related to a loose GAS CAP). It's my wife's car and she remembered not turning the cap until it 'clicks'. She drove it a few more days, taking the chance that it was just a loose gas cap, and sure enough - the light went out! Thanks for your insight - much appreciated
    Did you get one of these messages (depending on model) as well as the CEL?

Per the owner's manual:
    You will also see a CHECK FUEL CAP message on the odometer/trip meter display (LX, EX and EX-L models) or TIGHTEN FUEL CAP message on the multi information display (Touring models).
    2008 Odyssey Touring non-PAX
    Silver Pearl Metallic w/ Black Interior
    Mobil 1 5W-20 with Honda Oil Filter 15400-PLM-A01 or 15400-PLM-A02
    Shell (or other Top-Tier Gas)
    Honda Care 6yr/120K from Bernardi Honda
    WeatherTech FloorLiner (1st, 2nd, 3rd Row)
    WeatherTech Cargo Liner (Coverage Area: Behind 2nd Seat)

TSBs applied: 07-045 (Brake Pedal Is Low and Feels Soft), 08-080 (Wind Noise or Rattle From Front Doors), 09-053 (Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 2045 MPH / PCM Update for Lock-Up Clutch Function), 10-024 (No XM Sound, But XM Station Information Is Displayed)

Safety Recalls applied: 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Warranty Repairs: Torque converter replaced at 38,349 miles, Water passage replaced at 38,349 miles, HOSE A, WATER, HOSE C, WATER, and RUBBER, THERMOSTAT MOUNTING replaced at 39,673 miles. Second software update (unreleased and released) applied to PCM

In my case I did not get any CEL. The display just says "Check Fuel Cap".
    This started happening yesterday. I did fuel up the Odyssey a couple of days
    before and did not get this message until yesterday.

Any thoughts?

Tighten the cap at least three clicks and see if it goes away. The test has to fail several run cycles before it throws a fault. It also has to not fail several run cycles before it gets turned off.

I am very mindful of that several clicks to ensure the cap is fully tight.
    I keep that in mind all the time when it comes to putting back the fuel caps in
    all of my cars and Ody. I think the issue may be more than the fuel cap.
    Or perhaps replacing the cap itself.

Quote Originally Posted by William Wiles View Post
    Tighten the cap at least three clicks and see if it goes away. The test has to fail several run cycles before it throws a fault. It also has to not fail several run cycles before it gets turned off.

Guys/Gals explain this if you can. I'm the designated Ody driver today.
    My initial issue is "Check Fuel Cap" message on the dashboard.
    The message came on when I started the Ody leaving work.
    On the way home I was pulled over by the CHP. I thought "now what did I do wrong?"
    She (CHP) was kind enough to warn me that my right brake light is not working. It's raining hard where I am now
    so I stopped by an autoparts store to pick up a replacement bulb.
    Got home and replaced it. The "Check Fuel Cap" message is gone.

Why didn't my lightbulb warning light come on in the first place?

I guess I'm the only one who experienced this thus far.

In order to validate my finding. I removed the new bulb and put back the old
    burned out tail light (right side). Put it back together again.
    Restarted the van first time, no check fuel cap message came on.
    Shut off the engine.
    Pulled keys out. waited a minute or so.
    Put keys back in and restarted the van. Voila! "Check Fuel Cap" message came on.
    At this point, we can say that there may be 2 places we can check. (1) Fuel cap itself and (2) check your tail lights.
    Disclaimer: this is only true for my situation so you may have a difference. But it's something to start with.

Reinstalled the new bulbs again, put it all back together.
    Restarted the van. NO MORE "Check Fuel Cap" message.

mine is 2006 touring. i disconnected the battery (negative side only) for 10 mins. After restarting the engine, the check engine light is no longer on. :-) of course I have to reenter the code again.

15. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements