Honda Odyssey Forum banner

I was charged for a timing belt tensioner during a timing belt change (Hondacare)

27K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  chan_man 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I brought my wife's 2005 Ody in for the master cylinder recall this morning. When I brought it in they reminded me that I was due for a timing belt change (we have just over 99K miles on the van). I told them to do it.

I received a message at 2:00 and they said that the tensioner was leaking and needed to be replaced. I did not listen to the message till about 4:00 and they told me the van was holding up the lift so they just went ahead and replaced the tensioner. I asked if the tensioner (part only) was covered under my extended hondacare warranty.. they said no, its a "wear item". I paid over the phone ($150 extra for the part) and picked up the car after hours.

I was thinking about this at home this evening and decided to poke around, I seemed to remember that the tensioner was covered.

I found a couple places online that does mention that Hondacare covers the tensioner.. does this sound right to you all? I am thinking that I should probably get refunded for the $150 part??

Honda Care Extended Service Contract | Honda Cars of Bellevue | Omaha Honda Dealer | Bellevue Honda Dealer | Bellevue, Omaha, Council Bluffs, Offutt AFB, Lincoln, Nebraska, Iowa

Any insight or opinions welcome.

thanks,

-Bill

See less See more
#2 ·
They should have replaced the WP + Idler Pulley as well.
At 100K miles, who knows what will fail next.

Re: TB tensioner, if the extended policy says it covers then you should get your money back, but you have to submit the proper paperwork through proper address.

#3 ·
#4 ·
$150 is absolutely insane given they had everything opened up already and the tensioner is a $40 part. Man I dread dealer service visits for that reason.

Joel

#14 ·
Hi TSM,

So basically, I should replace all the followings:

Timing belt, Water pump with gasket, Idler pulley, Tensioner pulley, Hydrolic tensioner, Front camshaft and crankshaft seals (2 camshaft and one crankshaft) and Serpentine belt.

What should be the price range?

#21 ·
It's a wear item, inspection will show if they are starting to leak and if starting i'd then change them.
Plugs yes 80 (earliest) to 100 (latest) but i've seen drivers start to wear at 50-60k (depends on driving style haha)

Hi TSM,

Should we replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals? One local shop here says that these rarely leak and just need an inspection?

What do you recommend?
This will be dependant upon if showing signs of leaking or not
The local shop can be right and wrong (Right because they do rarely leak, but wrong because sometimes they are almost always leaking......it's a hit or miss really).
The crankshaft seal, i'd need to see the amount of leakage detected, if the leak is significant enough, I offer a few solutions to the leak (with associated costs). The thing with my clients is that I know most of them personally so upon them bringing their vehicle in, I have an idea if they want to keep it for a while or not......knowing that I recommend the best options and more importantly why.
Cheapest = Replace the crank seal, but what if it is showing oil leakage around the entire oil pan, then what?
Not cheapest = Replace oil pump assembly if signs of leakage show from around pump assembly, but then what about the pan? (It's getting entirely resealed in the job)
Most expensive = Pull motor, replace cam seals, oil pump, pull apart and reseal lower engine block, replace rear main seal, valve cover gaskets and deburr intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injector runners (Most expensive, takes longest but result is well worth it)

I recently changed a timing belt on a 2006 accord with 15x,000 miles. I wouldn't wait that many years or miles, but it honestly looked ok. Tensioner was leaking a bit. Idler had some bearing slop. Water pump weep hole was gunked up. No oil leaking at cam seals or crank seal.
On the 2006 Accord they are pretty stout, the only thing i've seen go out is the actual crank angle sensor here and there. The 99-02 Accords often leaked like a sieve

#20 ·
I recently changed a timing belt on a 2006 accord with 15x,000 miles. I wouldn't wait that many years or miles, but it honestly looked ok. Tensioner was leaking a bit. Idler had some bearing slop. Water pump weep hole was gunked up. No oil leaking at cam seals or crank seal.

#22 ·
I recently had a timing belt replacement package at a very good local shop in Duluth, GA. It includes:
- timing belt
- drive belts
- water pump
- timing belt tensioner
- camshaft seal
- crankshaft seal

All this for $670 + tax.

#23 ·
I just called my local stealer for how much replacing the timing belt would cost.
- timing belt w/ water pump and external belts $749
- spark plugs (platinum) $295
- valve inspection/adjustment $595

It seems the spark plugs and valve adjustment rates are obscenely high.

#24 ·
- spark plugs (platinum) $295
That is crazy !!, NGK Laser Iridium Spark Plug (IZFR5K11) at Autozone goes for 13.00 each, there are always coupons for $20 off $75 which brings it down to 9.70 each. Takes at most 1 hour to do all 6 yourself.

The timing belt charge is close to what most dealers here would charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.