Replaced door lock actuator
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replaced door lock actuator

Replaced door lock actuator

My driver side actuator started acting up, sometime locking and not locking and so. Ordered the part and replaced it today.

Not too bad. 1.5 hours. I'm a fairly advance mechanic on older cars (simpler I would say) with timing belt, engine removal/replace, clutch r/r and so on.

I would not pay no more than 1.5 hours of labor on this. Part was $35.00.

Notes:

1. Driver side door actuator is 72155-S5P-A11. The passenger side is a different part number so make sure you don't mix it up.
    2. A door panel tool that look like a bent 45 deg. angle screwdriver with a spatula end is needed to remove the door panel. There are five screws (3 hidden) that you need to remove for the door panel to be lifted up and away from the door.
    3. Remove the 3 screws holding the door lock carefully: use a hammer and bang against the screwdriver to loosen the screws first.
    4. You will need to remove a black 10 mm screw holding the glass rail
    5. you don't have to take the entire assembly out but just enough to remove the actuator itself. You will need to remove a rod that goes into an opening of a part of the outside door handle. Lift a plastic lock out of the way and pull it out. this rod has a little nub to ensure it locks into the opening so it will resist a little.
    6. removal of the actuator is via a small flat microscrewdriver inserted into the locking prongs on both sides of the actuator to release it from the bracket. You can see where the locking prongs go into when you look at the actuator itself.
    7. be sure that the actuator driver (rectangular boss) lines up with the female counterpart.
    Last edited by MadMaxTa; 03-08-2011 at 09:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MadMaxTa View Post
    My driver side actuator started acting up, sometime locking and not locking and so. Ordered the part and replaced it today.

Not too bad. 1.5 hours. I'm a fairly advance mechanic on older cars (simpler I would say) with timing belt, engine removal/replace, clutch r/r and so on.

I would not pay no more than 1.5 hours of labor on this. Part was $35.00.

Notes:

1. Driver side door actuator is 72155-S5P-A11. The passenger side is a different part number so make sure you don't mix it up.
    2. A door panel tool that look like a bent 45 deg. angle screwdriver with a spatula end is needed to remove the door panel. There are five screws (3 hidden) that you need to remove for the door panel to be lifted up and away from the door.
    3. Remove the 3 screws holding the door lock carefully: use a hammer and bang against the screwdriver to loosen the screws first.
    4. You will need to remove a black 10 mm screw holding the glass rail
    5. you don't have to take the entire assembly out but just enough to remove the actuator itself. You will need to remove a rod that goes into an opening of a part of the outside door handle. Lift a plastic lock out of the way and pull it out. this rod has a little nub to ensure it locks into the opening so it will resist a little.
    6. removal of the actuator is via a small flat microscrewdriver inserted into the locking prongs on both sides of the actuator to release it from the bracket. You can see where the locking prongs go into when you look at the actuator itself.
    7. be sure that the actuator driver (rectangular boss) lines up with the female counterpart.
    where did you get the actuator for $35.00?
    2007 Honda Odyssey EXL-NAV RES

I got the actuator at Hondapartsnow.com in So.Cal.

Quote Originally Posted by diznutz View Post
    where did you get the actuator for $35.00?
    Thanks.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EXL-NAV RES

What were the symptoms that led you to knowing this is what needs to be replaced?

Reason I ask, is my passenger sliding door on my 07 will "open" while driving down the road. Not fully open, just move approximately an inch or so. Like you shut your door, just not all the way, if you know what I mean.

I have done fuses, reset the home for the door, everything. I pretty much have to drive down the road with the door switch off as I get that constant beep telling me the door is open, even if it isn't.

Thanks for your help!!
    Sean

Quote Originally Posted by shlunky View Post
    What were the symptoms that led you to knowing this is what needs to be replaced?

Thanks for your help!!
    +1

I'm troubleshooting a door problem and found [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-21tbjF3EAU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]this video[/ame] that also pointed to the door unlock actuator. My door does something similar, except that most times the door motor overpowers whatever is holding it back, resulting in a loud pop or clunk as the door opens.

Did you have similar symptoms?

Thanks,
    Ditch

Quote Originally Posted by shlunky View Post
    ...Reason I ask, is my passenger sliding door on my 07 will "open" while driving down the road. Not fully open, just move approximately an inch or so. Like you shut your door, just not all the way, if you know what I mean...
    Sean, I think you may have the opposite issue if your door just opens like that. In looking at the parts list, there seems to be a door LOCK actuator (as opposed to an UNLOCK actuator. If you want to look into that, here's where I found the parts list: SLIDE DOOR LOCKS - OUTER HANDLE. Fits: Honda | Sons Honda

Hope this helps,
    Ditch

Did you take any pics when you did this. I read your how-to and thought about doing it myself, but I'm still a bit hesitant of whether or not I want too.

Thanks

cnn
    This is Honda Accord DIY, give it a try, should be similar to Ody:

DIY: Drivers side door lock actuator replacement, 7th gen sedan - Drive Accord Honda Forums
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

I had a popping sound on my '06 Odyssey passenger side sliding door. It felt like door motor was trying to overpower the unlock/lock actuator and then it would pop with force.

I replaced the actuator 2 months ago and no more door issues. There are some recent YouTube videos showing the procedure in detail.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
    2006 Odyssey EX

This is a simple job just like my sticky post on the glove box damper, don't get scared of the job as thats puts fear in to your equation and you don't need that.. READ THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS FIRST, locate all your tools, and calmly start the job, you will see that everything goes exactly as described in the above instructions.

BUT... What I would like to add to those instructions above is to...

1. Get yourself one of those plastic panel removing tool set, do not use any metal tools to remove the window control panel in the armrest or you will wreck it, SLOWLY START FROM THE LONG SIDE along the edge, DON'T TRY TO POP IT IN ONE SHOT, then go around the front then the back... Do not start from the back where the panel flows down into the handle pocket, you will break it or deform the whole piece, as you are lifting it from the weakest part and the opening for the window switch is right in front of where your trying to lift up which will crack across this opening.

2. After removing the BLACK 10mm that holds the lower portion of the track REMOVE THE WHOLE WINDOW TRACK COMPLETELY by pulling it down as it just slides up into the top portion of the track and is locked in place on the bottom with that black 10mm bolt you just removed.

Go on eBay and find these actuators for $8.50 from China with free shipping!! I know "made in China" but where do you think the OEM stuff is made in... The dealers cant touch them because they cant, but if they could they would... You can save a lot of $$$, and if it goes bad again, so what you're already an expert thanks to our club to do it again.

Richard.
    Last edited by LIGHTSCRIBER; 06-09-2014 at 06:35 PM.

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements