Brake - noise very low speed - soft press
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brake - noise very low speed - soft press

Brake - noise very low speed - soft press

2006 EX-L w/50K miles has a loud noise from the brakes when moving very slow (idle row) and softly touching brakes on the passenger side only. The noise is quite loud and like a flute mid pitch noise. Normal braking is fine. It only happens when I rolling at very low speeds and softly touch the brakes. I changed the front pads and resufaced the rotors. The rear pads had more meat than my new pads so I decided to only clean the clips and the rear rotors looks normal. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Did the noise come before the brake job or after? Did the repair change the sound? Does it go away when you push down harder? What brand of pads & rotors did you buy?
    2006 Odyssey Touring

The noise was before the changed the front pads (factory). After changing the front pads and resurface rotors in the front only didn't help. The noise is gone if you press harder on the brakes. The replacement pads for the front was Wagner. I have a new set of rear Wagner that I didn't install since they were still very thick.

I have the same noise on my 07 ody. Only heard when rolling slowly and applying the brake softly. It seem to be heard mostly when its humid out side.

It's probably just a chatter. The pad isn't contacting the rotor hard enough so it vibrates a bit making the noise. Vibration noises can be anything from low moans to high pitched screeches depending on the frequency the pad vibrates at. Just brake a little harder.
    2006 Odyssey Touring

I have the same flute-like noise under light braking on my '07 Touring. Still have the original Honda pads front and rear at 36,000 miles. I think its from the rear brakes.
    2007 Odyssey Touring Navi/Res Dark Cherry/Ivory
    - Viper 5701 LE Remote Start w/ Comfort Closure & full control of side doors and lift gate (one FOB!) - Installed
    - Two extra Viper 2-way Remotes (7251V)- Purchased and Programmed
    - RES DVD Video on Navi Screen using NavTV (RGBHON+) - Installed
    - 3M Window Tint on front doors (20%) and Windshield (45%)- Installed
    - Amsoil 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASMQT)
    - Honda Care 8yr/120,000 mile extended warranty - Purchased
    - Spare Tire & Jack - Installed
    - Fender Well trim (08P21-SHJ-100) - Installed
    - Color Matching Door Edge Guards - Installed
    - Mud Flaps (08P00-SHJ-101) - Installed
    - Trunk Liner - Installed
    - Hella 80W low beam bulbs (HLA-H83170031) - Installed
    - 17" Special Edition SE-14 dePAX Replacement Wheels - Installed
    - Polycarbonate Hub Centric Rings from Justforwheels.com (64.1/79.5) - Installed
    - Aftermarket Honda Emblem Center Cap Decals - Installed
    - GoodYear Fortera TripleTred (235/60R17) - Installed

- Dead Battery - Replaced Under Warranty
    - Front Driver's Side Seat Back Squeak - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Driver's Side Sliding Door Creak (TSB #06-003) - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Fog Light Adjustment - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Delay When Shifting from R to D (TSB #07-063) - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Torque Converter Shutter (TSB #09-053) - Resolved Under Warranty

- Scratch on Rear Tailgate74891-SHJ-A91ZL & 74892-SHJ-A61ZL - Replaced Panels

- Passenger Side AC Vent Decal Missing - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Driver's Side Window Auto Roll-up Issue - Resolved Under Warranty
    - RES Headphones Not Working (TSB# 07-084) - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Key FOB #1 Stopped Working - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Brake Pedal Feels Soft (TSB# 07-045) - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Driver's Side Center Row Seat Rattle - Resolved Under Warranty after 4th time
    - Groaning Noise from Brakes When Hot (TSB #06-024) - Cannot reproduce with aftermarket wheels!
    - Peeling paint on rear lift gate on the lip above the license plate 74892-SHJ-A61ZL Resolved Under Warranty
    - Cracking leather on driver's seat bottom on the side facing the door. - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Large glove compartment door does not close flush - Resolved Under Warranty
    - PCM update - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Scratch on B pillar garnish created when dealer replaced the front seat - Resolved Under Warranty
    - Tailgate Gas Struts Failing - Resolved Under Warranty

- Gap on Dashboard around Airbag (TSB #09-017) - Pending after dealer replaced the airbag cover!
    - Inner Door handle on Sliding Door Sticking in Open/Close position - Pending

There was a TSB about this issue, and the fix had something to do with the e-brake cable routing. I brought mine in when it was still under warranty, and they checked EVERYTHING with the brakes, pulled the brake pads, cleaned everything, etc., and still couldn't get it to go away. After that I agreed it was an annoyance and nothing that was going to be a problem, so we called it a day and 25k miles later, it still does it.

pvp
    Same on my 2007 EX-L. I've owned it 1.5 years and this winter is the first time I heard the noise - only when braking around the turns while drive down 4 levels through the office parking garage. On the street, stopping at lights, etc there is no noise and no noise when turning into my lane and parking in my garage (trip is all of 7 minutes).

The Ody's been to the dealer several times for TSB work and warranty work and have had the brakes looked at twice - no issues found.
    2007 EX-L / Dealer installed aftermarket RES & Remote Starter

Thanks everyone for your reply. At least I am not alone with this noise issue. The only thing remaining to fix is the rear pads / rotors. But that's another weekend project maybe 25K miles from now...

Quote Originally Posted by irwiny View Post
    Thanks everyone for your reply. At least I am not alone with this noise issue. The only thing remaining to fix is the rear pads / rotors. But that's another weekend project maybe 25K miles from now...
    I wish our rears had lasted that long.

In 40K miles of owning our 05 it had rear pads I think 2 times, the rotors were turned the first time and ultimately replaced the 2nd time around 35K.
    2011 AWD LTD.

Had a 2005 Cdn Silver Touring. They were super hot when they first came out but I managed exactly 14 days from purchase to shipment to dealership. Picked up Monday Dec 6,2004. Newmarket Honda told me no earlier than late january and they were floored when I showed up with it for service late Dec.

2008 Avalanche LTZ 6.0L with Nav & Res
    2008 Doral Sunquest 210 with 5.7 Gxi DP
    Moved along - 2007 Corvette Coupe with Z51 / Nav
    2004 R1

I thought I'd go ahead and chime in here with my experience. This is a real problem I have been fighting our local dealer on for the better part of two years. They have replaced pads, resurfaced rotors, and replaced rotors. The flute noise is still there and is constant under light braking pressure while turning, even slightly. I have taken the van to a local repair shop that services Hondas and Toyotas and they tell me it is definately coming from the rear of the vehicle. The dealership can reproduce it but cannot fix it for some reason. Today I opened a case with Honda Corporate to get a resolution. My wife and I are embarrased to drive this and based on what I have read it looks like the 2012 Odyssey possibly has the same issue. It should be something that can be easily fixed, as it didn't do this for the first 18k miles. If anyone has any advice please let me know, it's going to get fixed or traded to another team.

After finding a free few hours, I did a very quick change of the rear pads. The sound is gone. Seeing that it is very difficult to remove the back rotor / parking brake assembly, the quick change only took about 1.5 hours. No anti squeak blue stuff or cleaning of the clips was done. I'm guessing its something to do with the old factory pads.

My 07 Odyssey touring has 127k miles, and it has made this flute braking noise for probably 100,000 miles. Drives the wife crazy in car line at school. She is always embarrassed by it. I would LOVE to fix this problem. We tried to fix the brake noise several years ago - failed. Probably spent $1k trying. Wife is getting itchy to get a new vehicle, but I bet I could get past that if I could fix the brake noise. Somebody please help me avoid a new car purchase! I am not a mechanic - not in the least. What should I do?

Guess I could try changing the rear brake pads too. I was hoping a more definitive solution had been discovered in the years since I tried to address this problem the first time.

Got a '07 ody as well, same noise on slow braking 2 yrs ago. replaced all rotors and front pads since it got 100k mi. in it and noise was gone until lately it came back. suspecting the rear pads and replaced them, all went well so far. a mechanic friend told me about checking the wheel bearings is next in line if replacing rotors and pads won't help

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements