right rear clunking noise
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: right rear clunking noise

right rear clunking noise

Hi, my 05 Ody has developed a clunking noise coming from the right rear tire area. My husband took the tire off and tried to find the problem but without success. I was in a rear end collision in 09 and the van had a similar problem. The body shop said it was the right rear shock and they replaced it. No noise until now. The van has 77,000 miles and of course we are now out of extended warranty. Could the rear shock already be going bad?? The noise is only noticeable when i am going slow. It is very annoying but does not appear to affect the way the van drives. Thanks for any input
    05 Ody EX-L RES & NAV
    silver pearl/grey
    03 F-150 supercrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Could you describe when the clunking noise happens? Going over a bump?
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

Hi Dave,
    the noise is present whether the road is bumpy or not, but it does seem worse when i hit a pothole. I can't seem to hear it when i am going over about 30 mph, not sure if its not happening at higher speeds or its just not audible. thanks
    05 Ody EX-L RES & NAV
    silver pearl/grey
    03 F-150 supercrew

Hi Jill,

A bad shock wouldn't make any sound, unless it was loose on its mounting. But I wonder if the exhaust was bent in the collision and is hitting off the shock? The two are in the same general area, but I 'm not sure if they could come close enough to make contact.

If your husband is up to it, ask him to check for signs of abrasion on the shock or the exhaust. I have to warn you though not to work under the car when supported only by a jack. Either use safety stands or visit a garage that you trust. Sometimes the chain muffler shops will have a look at no charge, but watch for the upsell.

- Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

hlw
    no posts here recently but i found the monroe's have too big of hole for the bottom mounting bolt and shortly have some play there that is taken up by the spring inside the shock and makes it hard to find.

cnn
    My factory REAR shock leaked oil at 35K miles.
    Unless Honda redesigns the REAR shock, I'd not be surprised if the REAR shock absorbers in the Ody fail every 35K-40K.
    The good news are:

- They are inexpensive:
    ---> PN 52610-SHJ-A03 is $100/each.
    ---> KYB GR-2 PN 349091 (superseded to PN 349105) is $40/each
    Most people go with KYB because it is cheaper and better than Honda.
    - Very very easy to replace.

More reading here:
    2007 Ody - opinions on rear shock replacement (KYB vs Monroe)
    Last edited by cnn; 02-05-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements