2009 Odyssey EXL with Blown AC Relay - repeating issue with this part?? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2009 Odyssey EXL with Blown AC Relay - repeating issue with this part??

Should have come here first! 07 EX here. I was having parasitic battery drain, but initially thought it was a bad battery. My Optima Yellowtop died at 36 mos, and it was replaced by a honda battery. The poor reputation of honda battery made me just toss it for a new battery (17 months old), but the new battery lost charge within a day! I realized there was something else amiss, and this thread pointed me in the right direction.

I bought 3 of these relays, for $17 at the dealer, replaced all 3 in the engine compartment fusebox this morning. So far about 9 hours with the vehicle off, and battery is still at full charge. I believe there is something wrong with this part, and I'll be ordering a couple of spares. (Dealer wouldn't sell me more than 3)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn
    For those reading this thread, a relay can fail in 2 ways:

- Bad relay: no AC at all

- Relay stuck "on": Car AC runs all the time regardless of setting!
    This may be the reason why the Stator fails prematurely.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

relay?

is this part no. good for the 05? Mine (relay)is black, but the other two are blue.
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    Dirkdaddy,

Stand in front of engine and look at passenger side, there is a plastic fuse box. Open it and you will see whole bunch of relays and diagrams.

There are 3 "black-color" relays.

I referenced the PN in your post on Ac Clutch replacement, post #45:

05 Compressor clutch troubleshooting

PN is PN 39794-SDA-A03.....about $4.50 at Honda dealer..
    I keep a spare AC relay in my glovebox for long trip.

Worst case scenario on long trip w/o spare AC relay, just jump the 2 large terminals to activate the AC clutch but remove the jumper wire once you stop somewhere. But do this only if you are very desperate.
    Last edited by redriver64; 07-01-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redriver64 View Post
    is this part no. good for the 05? Mine (relay)is black, but the other two are blue.
    I believe it is...used to same part in my '06 and (so far) it is working fine. Our a/c became intermittent. It would blow really cold for awhile then hot for awhile, sometimes it would never cool. Narrowed it down to the a/c relay by searching (here mostly) around the net.

You can order the relay for $3.21 from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...VIN+Number+--- I bought 3 and will probably get some more (just in case).

Interesting thing, when troubleshooting (using this loosely, btw) I switched the "bad" relay with what i assumed was a good relay (for the fans) and upon the switch, I would tell that the compressor (clutch) was trying to engage, but it would only run for a couple seconds and kick off. I talked to a mechanic and he said that that particular relay wasnt "strong enough" for the a/c compressor. I am confused b/c the part #'s are identical on the relays.

Anyway, sorry for rambling (esp for my first post). Thanks for ya'lls help in (hopefully) addressing my a/c problem.

later,

griff

For whatever it's worth...

Replacing the relay solved my battery drain problems...

Then I started having intermittent starting problems that were not related to the battery. Tested battery several times, it was fine. Engine would not even try to turn over. I had it towed to the dealership, where it proceeded to have no problem starting. They tested it it over the course of a day and couldn't find any problem. About a month later, the problem recurred. Feeling that these symptoms were suspicious for an intermittently failing relay, i took out my Service Manual, and looked at the starter relay under the driver's side fuse/relay box. Guess what!

The starter relay is the exact same model relay that is used for the AC relay. I had replaced all the relays in the under the hood box, convinced that these relays are defective, only to find that there are four more of them under the driver's side box.

Well I replaced the starter relay with my spare part, and so far no more starting issues. I can't be 100% sure that is the problem, but I am convinced that these relays are defective. Gonna order another batch of these relays to replace the rest of the old ones in the driver's side fuse/relay box.

2009 Touring model with 55 K miles, the symptons similar to ones described:

Battery drained overnight
    High pitch noise from engine right side, comes and goes
    White smoke from area near AC compressor

Replaced the AC Clutch relay for $5.95 at dealer (bought 2 just in case), and problem solved. Thank you guys for sharing your learnings.

I recently ran into similar problems on my Odyssey 09' EX-L.
    Battery drains overnight.
    AC appears not working (I would turn on the fan to max, but no air is circulating inside the car, opening up the hood I see some pipes to the AC is iced up.)

I will buy the relays and replace them to see if it helps.

One other observation that I would add is that there is a switch to control how the interior lights work. (always on, door or always off). Obviously, if I leave the light switch always on, I will drain the battery, but even with the door setting and all doors closed the battery still drains. However, with the switch at always off, the battery doesn't drain anymore. So I'm thinking the switch goes to a master relay which will stop the power to the AC even when the AC-relay is stuck on. Does it make sense?

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements