Transmission Fluid Change - Page 5
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Transmission Fluid Change

OdyProspect, i appreciate your encouraging response. Looking at your posts, it appears as if you know what you are talking about. Your right, if the trans was in that bad of shape now,(sludge and all) would the fluid still have a hint of red in it after all those miles? It's brownish red but not burnt or black. From this point on, I plan on performing a 3.5 qt trans fluid change with each oil change I perform. Couldn't hurt it. Besides a power steering pump replacement under warranty, my 109,000 mile Odyssey has performed flawlessly. Our goal is the 200,000 mile mark with nominal repair bills. If I get that, then the van has served my family well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 97widerider View Post
    He said the sludge in there now is basically holding the gears together and a flush at this point would make situation bad.
    That is the strangest thing I've ever heard. You might want to gently inform the Honda tech that you were talking about your Odyssey's transmission, not the hydrostatic drive on a garden tractor.....

I don't think you're at all in as bad a shape as you suspect. Change fluid like you planned, be nice to tranny when you drive, enjoy your Odyssey.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

cnn
    Quote Originally Posted by 0dyfamily View Post
    ...I don't think you're at all in as bad a shape as you suspect. Change fluid like you planned, be nice to tranny when you drive, enjoy your Odyssey.

OF
    I agree with 0dyfamily.

I have a suggestion for 97widerider:
    - For the next 3 engine oil changes, while you have the front of the van up on ramps, do a simple drain and refill of ATF if you are concerned about a flush.
    - This way after 3 engine oil changes, you also have 3 ATF changes, the fluid should be essentially new by that time.

By simple calculation of the principle of dilution:
    - After 1st drain & refill: 50% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    - After 2nd drain & refill: 25% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    - After 3rd drain & refill: 12.5% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Quote Originally Posted by cnn View Post
    I agree with 0dyfamily.

I have a suggestion for 97widerider:
    - For the next 3 engine oil changes, while you have the front of the van up on ramps, do a simple drain and refill of ATF if you are concerned about a flush.
    - This way after 3 engine oil changes, you also have 3 ATF changes, the fluid should be essentially new by that time.

By simple calculation of the principle of dilution:
    - After 1st drain & refill: 50% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    - After 2nd drain & refill: 25% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    - After 3rd drain & refill: 12.5% old ATF remains in the Trans.
    Yes and it is so easy to perform. I did my first one of my series of three last night. Had to improvise and use a syphon tube as a filler. It is the only thing I could find that will fit inside dipstick tube. Cut top off part of syphon you squeeze and used that to fill it. Took about 25 minutes to add 3.5qts. Sure could use any suggestions for a faster method. Thanks

I used clear tubing that fit over the dipstick tube and sealed it with a clamp.

cnn
    ...Sure could use any suggestions for a faster method. Thanks
    I already posted this link above but here it goes again (see link below).

For a faster fill, use the "Black Blitz Funnel" ($3 at autoparts store).
    The I.D. Of this Funnel fits on the O.D. of the dipstick housing.
    Basically a Perfect fit on the ATF dipstick housing with NO modification whatsoever.

Read Post #180:

DIY 2007 Odyssey ATF COMPLETE FLUSH with ATF-Z1 Fluid
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Unhappy No Transmission oil changes for me

I don't have to change my transmission oil anymore. Honda does it for me everytime they put in a new torqure converter!

anyone ever use lucas transmission fix and just drain and fill one time. i have a2001 in cancun and have used lucas on chev and ford. with success. but honda not sure. and should i use the synthetic lucas. thanks geo

Changing ATF on 2005 Honda Odyssey

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) needs to be changed according to the owners manual. For a 2005 Odyssey it is every 30,000 miles. You just need to buy 4 quarts of ATF from a Honda Dealer, believe it is Z1 and only need to put in 3.5 quarts. There is no tranmission filter to change.

The drain plug is located towards the driver side tire. It is a blue colored 18mm nut they just insert a 3/8" socket wrench directly into the nut, no socket adapter needs to be put on it. Push it towards the back of the van (counter clockwise) to open, drain. Take the oil to a recycle center, check with Kragen O'reilly or Autozone near you. Then tighten nut toward front of the van. T

hen take out dipstick for automatic transmission fluid check on the right near the battery and fill 3.5 quarts through that 1/4" pipe opening. You can either make a cardboard funnel or buy one from an auto shop and make a small cardboard funnel on end so it does not drip. You are now good for another 30,000 miles!

The new ATF fluid is pinkish red and you can see when you change oil it has lost that pinkish hue.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOinCANCUN View Post
    ....lucas transmission fix ....
    Stay away from that stuff. It doesn't "fix" anything.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 103.5k OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 96.0k OEM fogs & hitch, chuck k fog mod#1
    1998 Accord LX174k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Yes and it is so easy to perform. I did my first one of my series of three last night. Had to improvise and use a siphon tube as a filler. It is the only thing I could find that will fit inside dipstick tube. Cut top off part of siphon you squeeze and used that to fill it. Took about 25 minutes to add 3.5qts. Sure could use any suggestions for a faster method. Thanks
    Once more for the newbies. Sorry, but you cannot reclaim the lifetime minutes you wasted waiting for the ATF to pass through that teeny-tiny hole, but there is hope!

The Hopkins Mfg "Measu-funnel" is the way to go. The fill tube fits over the *OUTSIDE* of the dipstick tube and one quart of ATF drains out in about 20 seconds. Amazon, Walmart, local auto parts store.

An added bonus is the SS filter screen at the bottom of the funnel. I have used the funnel to add engine oil and found that the screen trapped hardened particles of the glue that is used to cement the foil seal underneath the cap.

With Thanksgiving coming up, go ahead and get an extra one to use as a fat separator for your turkey gravy! It has a shut-off valve at the neck.

Amazon.com: Hopkins FloTool 10704 Spill Saver Measu-Funnel: Automotive

2002 EX-TW ; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels, California Flames, K&N Air Filter; FilterMag magnetic oil filter; Galaxy DX-959 mobile CB w/ Wilson 1,000 mag mount antenna;Valentine One; Schrader Nickle Plated Brass Valve Stem Caps; Odyssey 1200MJT mil-spec battery.

Stop freaking OUT

These Honda transmissions have everyone going nuts. EVERY single vehicle is going to be different to INCLUDE the wear and tear that everyone is experiencing. Honda (just as every other manufacturer) has "guidelines" for doing any type of maintenance. However, if Joe drives his Odyssey only in the San Francisco area where downtown there is NEVER a flat area and Dave is in the country where EVERYTHING is flat, there is going to be a great difference in transmission wear.
    Those that are worried when at 30K miles, STOP worrying. Of course if you have purchased your vehicle used and have NO IDEA where that first 30K was done, I'd personally go ahead and do a tranny fluid swap. Set yourself some kind of baseline so YOU know where your fluids stand.
    I did the 3X flush on our '04 at 60K and traded it in at 80K. NO issues
    We got an '06 which I did the flush at 60K as well. It currently has 99K and NO issues.
    My parents purchased an '04 and I did their fluid swap at 65K after seeing the dealer wanted $90 to do the "transmission service" which was only the one time drain and refill. I did the 3X and it was almost HALF what the dealer wanted.

As someone else mentioned, I thought it best as well that instead of driving it or warming the fluid for 10 minutes, to get some actual miles on it between flushes. So, 3 Saturdays in a row was my schedule for swaps. Ended up doing my 06 at the same time as my parents 04. After your first drain and refill it goes VERY fast for the next 2.
    Again, every vehicle is treated differently and the mileage is simply a guideline. there is no magical perfect mileage that you ABSOLUTELY NEED to change your fluid by. HOWEVER, my personal experience with rebuilding and installing numerous overdrive transmissions, dictates that to do a full fluid swap between 50-60K miles is cheap insurance. The 30K change Honda recommends is simply their drain and refill once.

At this point, with all the different opinions, factoring in Hondas recommendation, a one time drain and fill every 15-20K miles would keep enough fresh fluid in your transmission that it should outlast YOU.

bhk
    We had our 05 Touring at Dealer last week due to PAX tires worn out again.

50k miles on it. Had 30k miles service done in Jan 2009.

Dealer says we should change transmission and brake fluid NOW as it has been over 3 years.

True or False?

txn
    Quote Originally Posted by bhk View Post
    We had our 05 Touring at Dealer last week due to PAX tires worn out again.

50k miles on it. Had 30k miles service done in Jan 2009.

Dealer says we should change transmission and brake fluid NOW as it has been over 3 years.

True or False?
    I assumed the 30K miles service included one ATF drain-and-refill.
    At 50K mile mark, you can help your transmission by having another ATF drain-and-refill.
    Actually, I would have done an ATF drain-refill at 45K mile mark (ie. every 15K miles).
    Last edited by txn; 01-17-2012 at 01:02 PM.
    2008 Odyssey EXL w/ RES (CPO)
    - Dec 2010: TSB 10-076 Steering Hard to Turn Quickly at Low Speed
    TSB 10-017 (Air In VSA Modulator-Control Unit Causes Low/Soft Brake Pedal)

Three years is considered the maximum life of brake fluid. It absorbs moisture that can corrode internal brake parts. I would take your dealer's advice on this service.

+1 for txn's comments above on transmission fluid.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission 117,000 miles/189,000 km, Amsoil ATF 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, 16 ATF drain & fills

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast