Brake Lights Not Working, Bulb, Fuse OK
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brake Lights Not Working, Bulb, Fuse OK

Post Brake Lights Not Working, Bulb, Fuse OK

Have a 2005 Odyssey Touring and the brake lights on the sides and lift gate are out, but the top one is working. Have checked the bulb and I'm pretty sure the correct fuse (can anyone confirm which fuse it is? The manual is pretty confusing). The bulbs work when the running lights are turned on, turn signals work, just not the two side brakes and lift gate brakes. Any ideas?????

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

A bad brake light failure sensor will cause the lower brake lights to not work but the overhead brake light to continue working. It is located behind the left rear trim panel in Gen 2 models, but I'm not sure about its location on your 2005.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

You need to find a wiring diagram for the gen 3 as many changes were maid. If you plan on servicing it yourself the OEM service manual is a must have .
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

you know what, I had thought the same thing. both lights didnt work. And the bulb filament looked to be good.
    I checked all fuses and sensors. Then I decided, lets try to change the bulb,.. only a few bucks right? So happens it was the bulbs, but the filaments were tricking the eye....

change the bulbs with new ones, its not going to hurt the wallet.

If the system is working, a burned out brake light bulb will illuminate the brake light failure indicator on the instrument panel.
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Amsoil Ea15KO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)
    Original transmission at 121,000 miles/195,000 km, Amsoil ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 km, Honda aux ATF cooler, Magnefine aux ATF filter, 16 ATF drain & fills

probobly the brake light switch, please check the output at the switch, it is very inexpensive, actually if you make a complaint at the dealer they may do a goodwill warranty claim for you.
    07 EX

Quote Originally Posted by gumaku1 View Post
    probobly the brake light switch, please check the output at the switch, it is very inexpensive, actually if you make a complaint at the dealer they may do a goodwill warranty claim for you.
    Would it still be the switch if the center high mounted brake light is working, as the OP mentioned?
    2014 Civic Si - Crystal Black Pearl
    2012 Pilot EXL-RES - Polished Metal
    2009 Odyssey EXL-RES Bali Blue
    2011 Mazda3i Touring Crystal White Pearl
    Other Recent Rides:
    2005 Mazda RX8 GT Velocity Red
    2008 Pilot EXL-RES Formal Black
    2003 Odyssey EXL-RES Redrock Pearl
    2004 Mazda 6S Lapis Blue
    2002 Accord EXL Black

On the gen 2 the high mount light comes firectly off the switchbypassing the brake failure senser and F9. If the brake switch is bad it will not work.
    2004 EX Odyssey.
    All posts made by me are in reference to the gen 2 Odyssey.

brake switch sends power directly (controls) to the bulbs for both taillights and the center high mount stop light (same circuit). if all of these are inoperable and all of the bulbs are ok (no filament broken) then the switch is most likely failed.

If your high mount stop works and both bulb brake lights are out, then I would check the bulbs. If the brake light bulb is a dual filament (I am not sure if it is, I did not confirm it) then the parking light (5W) could be OK and the brake light filament (21W) could burn out
    07 EX

OK, I confirmed the high mount and the right brake light share the same ground, the left brake light has a different ground, so that is not your problem.

The switch sends the power directly to all of the rear brake lights and the high mount, the power goes through the rear MICU junction box.

The 05 Ody has dual filament bulbs, so that means the power coming from the rear junction box feeds the parking lights and the brake lights, although they use different circuits. are your parking lights working (both lid light and outer park light as well as license light)? please confirm.
    07 EX

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements