Power Steering Fluid change? - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Steering Fluid change?

Quote Originally Posted by kbh View Post
    I have now done three drain fill cycles and have turned the wheel lock to lock at least twenty times between drains and I am still getting some whine. Are you suggesting that there is a persistent air leak somewhere still?
    Yup, they can be tricky, it's always a PITA to disrupt even the remote reservoir supply line on the P/S systems on these vehicles. I would check to make sure your clamp is tight, or if the supply line from the reservoir is hard & dry, see if you have enough slack to cut the hardened part off and reclamp with the fresher area.

Also, make sure there's no cracks or holes in the supply line from bending the hose out of the way, very common thing to have happen.

For a graphic representation of what I'm talking about. Get a coke at McDonalds, poke a tiny pinhole in it anywhere along the length of the straw above the soft drink line, try to suck through the straw.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Infiniti I35
    1995 Nissan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

If the O ring on the power steering pump inlet was black then you need ro replace it with a red one (new honda part no. 91345rda-a01, the old one is letting air be sucked into the system, there is a video on Utube that shows the procedure

Have not done a flush on present Oddy, but have done several the following way when the reservoir is a remote flow thru type like in these Honda's

Its a 2 person job, the 2nd person starts car, turns wheels left to right and back, then shuts the car off when prompted.

Remove the return line from the reservoir and plug the reservoir so fluid dont leak out. extend the return line and let it dump, empty to an old gallon jug of some sort. when the vehicle is started it will pump old excess fluid into gallon jug

Fill the reservoir with clean fluid such that it does not go dry, this will prevent and AIR from evtering the system.

Usually you need 3-4 litres/quarts to do a good flush

This system works better than any flush machine where a remote reservoir is present

Al

Any suggestions on fluid to use? I plan to do this in a couple weeks when I do the timing belt and such.

Quote Originally Posted by shlunky View Post
    Any suggestions on fluid to use? I plan to do this in a couple weeks when I do the timing belt and such.

+1. Need suggestions. I have seen Prestone PS Fluid for Honda/Acura vehicles at the local Wally World. IIRC it was about $3 or so for a bottle of 12 Fl Oz. Did see some verbiage about the same fluid on this forum but not extensive agreement on if that fluid is good or not.

Any recent PS Flush folks want to chime in and post what fluid they used?
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

re: Turkey Baster.. careful not to puncture the 'thin plastic strainer' built into the bottom of the reservoir..
    as for the folks saying .. "Honda doesn't tell me to ever change it, so I won't"... ahhhhh, excuse me? if it's old, smelly and dirty.. they won't tell you to change your 'socks' either.. plz, change it.
    Have: Oddy 2003
    added: Aluminum Diamond Plate rack, ashtray mod, Blue LEDs in side pockets.

8. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements