How much to replace transmission with a new/rebuilt trans
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to replace transmission with a new/rebuilt trans

How much to replace transmission with a new/rebuilt trans

My trans has been slipping only when cold for the past two monthsx I've been saving to replace the trans

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Have you checked the fluid level? A marginal level could drop a little when cold and create symptoms not otherwise present.

Year and mileage ?
    2006 EX-L 103K 2007 style ATF cooler and Magnafine filter, PS cooler, Centric front rotors w/ Akebono Pads.

Quote Originally Posted by byb_cuz View Post
    My trans has been slipping only when cold for the past two monthsx I've been saving to replace the trans
    Just for reference - This past spring my neighbor had his 2005 transmission replaced with a rebuilt unit at a independent Honda shop for $1500 with a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty. The shop is a couple ex-Honda Platinum Level techs that opened their own place together. They said they replace several a year and the ones they use do not have the common weakness that the OEM ones had from the factory, whatever that is.
    2008 EX-L
    Slate green / grey

cnn
    1+,

- Check ATF level first.
    - If you ever need a trans, a good source is ebay or Honda recycler. Get a Trans with low mileage such as 30-40K miles.
    - Install labor is about 9-10h.
    - Replace REAR Main Seal and all the Seals on the "new" Trans before putting it back.
    - Also if you have more than 100K miles, then replace the CV Joints Rubber Boots too.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Note on checking ATF in the Odyssey:

The ATF level is checked with the engine off.

This is different than many other automatic transmissions.The fluid still needs to be at operating temperature and the van parked on a level spot.
    2006 EX-L 103K 2007 style ATF cooler and Magnafine filter, PS cooler, Centric front rotors w/ Akebono Pads.

Our 2001 Ody's transmission died last week. It was already replaced once under the recall and I can only suppose they replaced it with a rebuilt one of the same kind that failed again. I got three prices on rebuilt transmissions with 3 yr to lifetime warranties. Prices ranged from $3000-4000. Since the van had 185k miles and was only worth about $4000, we gave it away and I just bought a 2008 EX-L.

Anyway, a real basic rebuild by an indy with a 1 yr warranty is about $1500-2000. A factory rebuild by an indy or dealership would be more but with a longer warranty.

YMMV

The cel came on tonight while leaving work, I'm going to have it checked in the am. I bought this car new at 18 thinking it would last me 15 years because of hondas reputation but I guess not, I really can't afford to spend 3k dollars right now, I'm really hoping this trans will last two more months and I should have saved close to 2000 by then. 79000 miles and tranny failure is bull**** for $30,000 . I just made my last payment on the car the other day.

Code p0776, does anyone know a good place on eBay to buy my tranny

byb cuz : Assume it's a 2005 ? Sig line would be nice.
    DTC P0776 : A/T Clutch Pressure Control Valve B Stuck Off

1. Warm the fluid to temp.
    2. Check Fluid Level.
    3. Drain AFT through a strainer
    Does the fluid have metal debris or excessive clutch material ?

Yes - Replace trans
    No - Replace the fluid and go to 4.

4. Drive van in D getting to all five gears and over 12 mph for at least 20 seconds. then slow to a stop.

5. Repeat step 5.

Does DTC return ...
    FSM has a lot of diagnostic steps that don't require trans replacement.

The target solenoid is mounted on the exterior of the trans and can be tested and replaced without removing the transmission. FSM 14-186 to 14-190.

Part 4 - 28250-P6H-024 Solenoid assembly 186.75

You would need #7 and # 16 x3.

Honda Automotive Parts

Just a update, tranny is still holding up, but it still slipping a few times before it warms up. I'm at 3,000 saved and I'm hoping 4k will cover the tranny and labor. Unfortunately I'm going to use Honda for a replacement. My local dealership quoted me 2900 for the tranny alone, I hope that's a new price or I'm going with aamco/jasper

Just a update, tranny is still holding up, but it still slipping a few times before it warms up. I'm at 3,000 saved and I'm hoping 4k will cover the tranny and labor. Unfortunately I'm going to use Honda for a replacement. My local dealership quoted me 2900 for the tranny alone, I hope that's a new price or I'm going with aamco/jasper
    Have you tried replacing the fluid yet? It may help a lot.

$2900 sounds about right for a factory rebuilt installed by a stealer (warranty rate) based on the 2nd gen tranny rates. BUT, you should really pay attention to the replies to your own thread and post some much needed details for better help on here.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

Quote Originally Posted by dvpatel View Post
    $2900 sounds about right for a factory rebuilt installed by a stealer (warranty rate) based on the 2nd gen tranny rates. BUT, you should really pay attention to the replies to your own thread and post some much needed details for better help on here.
    I read all the replies and followed through with them, but not installed just for the transmission, its around 4000 installed

I read all the replies and followed through with them, but not installed just for the transmission, its around 4000 installed
    Really? I don't see you mention your model year or miles. Neither did you report back as to if you're low on ATF. Neither did you report back as to if you replaced the ATF or not as that was one of the recommendations. All of these are from people asking you questions since you posted. To get better help, you gotta provide all the information/details is all I am saying.
    When I use this smilie ===> I am NOT calling you stupid.

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the search function.

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Customer Acceptance Checklist
    alexmish1's Rattle Kill

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements