P1717 Transmission code?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: P1717 Transmission code?

Question P1717 Transmission code?

Hi All,

A couple days ago my wife reported that while shifting in to reverse on our 07 Ody, that she got some sort of error message on the info display about the transmission. Once I got home, all I could see was that the check engine light was on, so I drove it over to AutoZone to have the codes read.

The code that was reported was a P1717 code... I can't seem to find any info on this, and since the code got read, the CEL has turned itself off...

Anyone see this before? I'm kinda spooked that this is a harbinger of transmission death...

Hoping that someone else out knows something!

Cheers,

-ben
    07 Ody Touring (preparing to dePAX)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

The AutoZone flunkie probably erased the code, but on their system is the capability of giving you a printout of what system the code is reporting.

Unless, that is someone already has that info linked herer.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Infiniti I35
    1995 Nissan

Ya, they gave me the print out, and it did say that it was a Honda code. I can't remember the description it gave off the top of my head though.

But CEL came back on yesterday, so I'm thinking it's not just a fluke thing. Might have to just bite the bullet and take it to the dealer.

The Odyclub forums here were my last hope.

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Report back what the P1717 means. It is a transmission-related code though.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    Some searching with Google:

Acura RL:

P1717 Manufacturer Control Transmission

Long story short, there was a short in a sensor in the gear shift.

Same thing happened to me recently. A sensor under the gearshift went bad. The tech guy said spilling liquids from the cup holder will do it.

It registered a code "p1717. I noticed that the car was shifting and driving a slightly differently.I came to realize it was my gas cap not being screwed on tightly.Once I squared that away and restarted the car it all went away.This may be what you are experiencing. You can start with this and see if it works.

2007 Honda Odyssey:

Hello, the p1717 code sets when the circuit in the transmission range switch is sensed to be open while the transmission is mechanically shifted into reverse, this can happen a couple ways, either a faulty range switch, improper adjustment of the range switch, a broken wire in the circuit, or a faulty pcm. From your description I would suspect the switch is out of adjustment since you can get it started by moving the shifter, so what's happening it the switch is between positions when you're in gear, so you may be able to turn the switch to better line up with the shifter positions and solve the issue. The range switch is located on the side of the transmission, you should be able to access it through the drivers side wheel well, it'll have 2 bolts holding it to the transmission, if you loosen them you can reorient the switch, what you'll want to do is try reorienting it then checking if the transmission position on the dash switches on the dash when you switch gears, if it seems to be off try again until it's switch position at the same time it's actually switching positions.

Check the battery as well.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Thanks! This is really helpful information. It seems to line up w/ what my wife described as well, in that it first happened when she tried shifting into reverse, but it wouldn't move, she then shifted back into park and tried again, and it was fine.

So perhaps this "range switch" is indeed loose. This is a relief, as I was not looking forward to having mechanical issues w/ the transmission itself!!

I'll post back to let you all know what the resolution of the issue is....

No reference to P1717 in the FSM that I could find. But testing for the Transmission Range Switch is at 14-250. Replacement also looks pretty easy.

From Justanswer.com

Q: 2007 odyssey 24k check engine light on code P1717. Transmission dashboard green indicator light blinking?

A: The code P1717 is relating to a problem in the shift position indicator switch. That is the part that tells the computer which gear ( P, R ,D N ect.) you have selected. It could be a problem with the switch, a wire connection or the adjustment of the switch.
    Last edited by OdyProspect; 08-25-2011 at 03:39 AM.
    2006 EX-L 103K 2007 style ATF cooler and Magnafine filter, PS cooler, Centric front rotors w/ Akebono Pads.

Got this code on my 2004 Accord Hybrid, 6 speed Automatic, 127,000 miles. Check Engine light would come on and the green D light would flash. It occurred for over a year's time and it was noted by Dealership Mechanic. They said don't worry about it, then it could be a major transmission problem. Then when I checked here and other sites, noted that it could be a "shift limiter" issue, possibly. Got it the shift limiter replaced to the tune of $499.99. Accord does shift more smoothly, up and down. No lights so far. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by New Dad New Van View Post
    “Same thing happened to me recently. A sensor under the gearshift went bad. The tech guy said spilling liquids from the cup holder will do it.”
    Which is pretty funny, because the TRS is right on the transmission itself. Had to be a heck of a spill! BTW, I saw your thread here on the range sensor. Good stuff! Gear Range Switch

Joel
    2008 Honda Ody LX babe magnet.
    2012 Subaru Legacy 2.5i CVT.
    Vehicles of the past: 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe, 2007 Chevy Cobalt LS, 2001 Windstar, 2005 Trailblazer 4x4, 2002 Isuzu Rodeo 4x4 and lots more

Quote Originally Posted by OdyProspect View Post
    No reference to P1717 in the FSM that I could find. But testing for the Transmission Range Switch is at 14-250. Replacement also looks pretty easy.

From Justanswer.com
    Thanks this was very helpful. I had the same P1717 code come up but then the engine light went back off but I was still able to scan it and pull the code

Just had this very repair done $492.
    07 EX-L Odyssey
    02 EX Odyssey
    95 Accord
    90 Civic

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements