bolts broken on license plate
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bolts broken on license plate

bolts broken on license plate

Sorry if this question is already answered somewhere on here. I did a quick search and didn't find anything and need to get this fixed by Wed as my son takes his driving test then.

I was removing my license plate on my 07 odyssey (old plated was trashed and new just arrived) yesterday and wouldn't you know it the bolt heads broke off. They were rather rusty so I thought that was the issue but then after lubricating the remaining stud and drilling and trying to get the stud out with my easy out I broke the easy out!!!!! I am thinking the Dealership put the bolts on with Locktite, they swapped trim during one of my maintenance calls removing the original "other dealer" trim.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't have much time to get this done as it is, let alone before wed. I may have to duct tape the plate on for the time being.

Thanks for any advice

I did see a post regarding the license plate garnish but it looks like that may not be what I need. This looks like someone scratched their chrome surround, but I haven't looked at it too much.

other post below

Anyone here removed the rear License Plate Garnish?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I took off the interior to the tailgate and can see the threads sticking through, not that that helps any. There is a ring around the threads- about the same size as the nut on the exterior- that looks similar to a knock out on an electrical box. Would this be designed to do exactly that for those unfortunate souls like myself??? It was suggested to me that the bolts may not have been put on with locktite, but instead with an air wrench and an overzealous mechanic. Maybe that caused this look.

I took a video to show some people I work with (I work at an automotive parts supplier, kinda helpful in cases like this) but no pics and it is too late (dark) now.

It was suggested that I drill a small hole outside of the lugs and then poprivet the plate on. It woud be fine for me, not the best when I sell the car. I don't want to do anything that will result in rust though

4. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements