Question Re: Second Row Windows
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question Re: Second Row Windows

Question Re: Second Row Windows

Hello. I am new here (obviously) because I am considering an Odyssey. We test drove a 2009 EX van last week, and I really liked it. It was the first minivan that I have ever driven, so to be fair, I would like to test a few other makes/models before committing, but have given serious weight to the Honda for its looks, reputation, and longevity. Right now I am a Ford Escape driver, and its too darn small for a mom with two boys and three dogs.

As I was driving home from work, I noticed an Odyssey beside me that had its second row windows partially rolled down. I didn't even realize that this was an option on the Odyssey, and never tried that feature out on my test drive! Can anyone tell me if this is a standard feature on the EX model? Certain years?

And, does anyone have a pic of just how far down the window goes? This might be a serious selling point for me. I googled to find that the Odyssey, Kia, Volkswagen, and some other mini have this feature.

Thanks in advance!
    Jen

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

They roll down about 2/3rds of the way. Not unlike many 4 door cars. simply because of the curvature of the back of the door will
    not allow more window to go down. Many 4 door cars are the same.
    I was surprised to when I bought 06 EX-L RES to find I could roll them down. Rarely use them though.
    2006 Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES Slate Green Metallic
    1997 Toyota Avalon XLS

FWIW, the 08-11 Volkswagen is *essentially* the same van as the Chrysler Town & Country. The in-laws FINALLY traded their 01 T&C, praise the Lord, now I have my weekends back, as something was *always* broken on the T&C.

I have a friend with a Sienna, like an 06, he hates it, his wife could take it or leave it.

Some KIA parts are hard to come by, but they have a strong warranty.

You'll find equal amount of people who had bad experiences with Odysseys, it comes down to how they drive & how a particular car makes you feel. I don't roll the second row windows down much, but it's a cool feature when the weather is nice.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Infiniti I35
    1995 Nissan

Blog Entries
    Just so you know, if you have an Odyssey with the power doors, and the doors open at the same time the windows are down, the doors will not quite open all the way. It's not much of a difference, only a distance of eight or nine inches, but be aware of it when it happens, as it's not a defect. It makes getting out of the third row a chore. Some sort of nanny-type safety feature.

Just make sure the windows are closed to ensure your power doors open all the way!

i wanna say the rear windows rolling down started with the 05 model odyssey. we looked at the sienna and didnt like the center console setup, not a fan od the town and country, and at the time the van we wanted the vw routon was slightly out of budget. nothing against the odyssey but i think the next van will be the vw.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    FWIW, the 08-11 Volkswagen is *essentially* the same van as the Chrysler Town & Country. The in-laws FINALLY traded their 01 T&C, praise the Lord, now I have my weekends back, as something was *always* broken on the T&C.

I have a friend with a Sienna, like an 06, he hates it, his wife could take it or leave it.

Some KIA parts are hard to come by, but they have a strong warranty.

You'll find equal amount of people who had bad experiences with Odysseys, it comes down to how they drive & how a particular car makes you feel. I don't roll the second row windows down much, but it's a cool feature when the weather is nice.
    I do like the price tag for the T&C, and since we are buying (slightly) used, I find that I can get a fully loaded Touring Edition for the same as an EX model Odyssey. But to me, the T&C looks rather cheap, no matter the analog clock and faux wood trim. However, it will be a hard sell for my husband who will see the features for the price.

The Sedona has a good warranty, which I really like, but the vehicles look rather ho-hum to me... very generic. But worth a look nonetheless.

Probably won't consider a Routan since I hear VW are expensive to fix. That might be an old stigma, but I have read this semi recently on other message boards.

The Sienna is our other top contender, but again, I feel it is so generic. The XLE models are nice but pretty pricey.

SOOO thrilled to hear about the windows rolling down. My mom had an 89 minivan when I was growing up and it had the pop out windows. Never saw the point, really. But like I said, I have three dogs, and would like the option to air out the car via windows. The beasts are clean, don't get me wrong, but a romp at the dog park will foul up any vehicle

One thing you should know is that opening one or two of the middle row windows any amount causes a major buffetting noise inside the van. It's like having a helicopter sitting on the roof. You can't even hear the person sitting next to you. We very rarely open ours. Just run the AC on AUTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit000 View Post
    One thing you should know is that opening one or two of the middle row windows any amount causes a major buffetting noise inside the van. It's like having a helicopter sitting on the roof. You can't even hear the person sitting next to you. We very rarely open ours. Just run the AC on AUTO.
    I have the same issue in my current car, which is why I rarely open the windows - plus, my three year old tends to throw things out them But I do like the option there when needed.

If you don't like the buffeting of the 2nd row, crack open a front window. Putting a front window down a small amount will reduce or eliminate the buffeting.

As far as how far the window will go down ... it's not related to glass curvature. If Honda wanted to, they could have designed the glass to roll down until the bottom touches ground (dumb I know, but it could be done). The distance down is due to trying to limit / slow down the progress of a passenger (mainly a child) traversing through the opening. In other words, its an attempt at increased safety.

But that's a matter of perspective, I think. If your kids are like dogs in the back of pickup truck, then limiting the opening of a window could help. But if you're kids are strapped in, they're not going out the window. And in that case, I'd rather the window be all the way down so shattered glass (in case of a wreck or debris) has less chance of cutting them. Just my $0.02.

JyRO

+1

On a car where the front of the rear wheelhouse/rear quarter panel encroaches into the rear door, the glass lowering can be problematic, but this thing is just a big rectangle, could have easily gone all the way.

I agree it's for safety.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Infiniti I35
    1995 Nissan

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements