Removing Sliding door panel help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Removing Sliding door panel help

Removing Sliding door panel help

Anyone have success in removing the sliding door panel on a 07 exl? I don't want to tear it up trying to get to the release actuator.

Thanks.
    07 e-xl dvd/nav Mr.Grille
    -Sliding door actuator @60
    -timing belt/WP @99K
    -Alternator @102K
    -Lower control arms TBD

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Here are some videos on Youtube.
    I have not undergone the repair yet. I have to replace both the roller assembly and the release actuator.

Thanks, but that was for a 2000 and not a 2007. I'm looking for directions on a 2007 EXL with power sliding door.
    -timing belt/WP @99K
    -Alternator @102K
    -Lower control arms TBD

Well I have an 08. Most of these videos give you good guidance. If you search on Youtube there are some which show it. Im looking right now.

Here is another video I found. I am guessing the actuator is located in the door? If not where is it? Also where did you buy the parts, online?

cnn
    This is a related post (2005 Ody Right Side sliding door latch), but it does not tell you exactly how to remove the Sliding Door Panel:

2005 Ody LS sliding door latch

I just checked my Technical Manual, here it is:

1. Open the sliding door a bit.

2. Lower the Glass fully.

3. Remove power window switch by:
    - prying on the REAR edge of the switch with a trim tool (of flat screw driver wrapped in cloth).
    - the switch is held by hooks & a fastener (clip) at the REAR, it will pop out with the pry tool.
    - d/c electrical connection.

4. The Inner Door Handle is held by a C-clip. So use a wire hook to remove it (or a tool to spread the tips apart so it can be removed).
    Then remove the Inner Door Handle.

5. The Door Panel is held by approx. 11 clips.
    Pry it out using a Trim Tool (or flat screwdriver wrapped in cloth).

6. If you have sunshade, then remove the screws on the sunshade.

PS: You may need some clips from dealer before re-installing the Panel.
    It is about $1.50 each.
    Napa also carries some generic clips that may fit.
    So get a few of these clips beforehand.

* Please take some pics and post them for future reference as others will likely need them!
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

I have the panel off but am wondering how to disconnect the power to the power window from the back of the door panel so I may completely get the panel out of my way to actually replace the actuator.

@Hondamom - Were you able to disconnect the power window?

I will perform this surgery soon as my parts are due to arrive today. I will take pics.

@cnn - what is the part number for the clips? I may stop and get some prior to.

All: I did the repair last night, but since it was raining and dark I did not take any pics. Im sorry.

Some notes which might help to remove the sliding door panel.

1. Start with Window Trim (Left Side). I used a screwdriver with towel in lieu of a trim tool.

2. There are clips (Orange and arrow tip like) every 6-8 inches. If you go slow you can remove them easily without breaking.

3. Since my 08 has the window shade removing the two clips that hold it up was tough. They both broke as they were pulled straight out. Oh well.

4. Remove the U clip from the door handle. Careful as it will launch out. Pull door handle off.

5. We started on the bottom right of the door frame and popped the clips out slowly until we had the bottom half unclipped.

6. My buddy reached up and pushed the window switch out and fed it back through.

7. We proceeded to unclip all the way around. The top portion by the window was easy as it was 1 large piece that just rested in. Your door panel should be off.

8. If you peel the water barrier slowly you should be able to salvage it without much damage.

---We replaced the motor actuator and were done in less than 1 hour.

Thats about it

Gen3 panel removal is a bit different than Gen1, 2, or 4. Pics:
    (Door half open, window down)

Pop the middle part of this piece toward van.

Pop the rearmost piece forward

Pop the front part toward the opposite rear corner of the van (45)

Pry up the rear of the window switch panel with a thin screwdriver.

Lift the rear of the panel up, and pull toward rear. Disconnect wiring.

Push in on the tab to release the connector. Might need to pry between the white part
    and the receptacle.

There's the hidden fastener. Pull out on the panel to pop it out.

Get this *%&$%^$ clip off.

Lift the front of the panel straight up, then lift the rear corner.
    I did not completely remove the window trim or the sunshade.

@tokizy - any recommendations in avoiding breaking clips for window shade?

@PapaJ - thank you for the pics

Prior to attempting this fix I took CNN's advice and ordered some extra clips from Ebay. I didn't need them but was glad I had them.

This fix took me 40 minutes, 10 minutes trying to remove the seat before I gave up.

1. Open door manually, lower window and window shade.

2. Popped the 2 clips from the trim on each side window. I did not remove the entire trim.

3. Pulled back the the door handle and removed the U clip, removed the door handle.

4. Popped 4 clips from the front of the door, two in each corner and two spaced evenly in the middle.

5. Popped 2 clips from the bottom of the door spaced evenly then the far bottom corner clip.

6. Pulled back the panel and unplugged the window connector. Pulled a clip near the connector too.

7. Pulled 3 clips from the back of the door ending at the top corner of the panel.

8. Panel can now be lifted out.

9. I only removed the bottom corner of the plastic barrier, pulling away carefully at the sticky stuff.

10. Disconnect the actuator connector, disconnect the spring, remove 3 screws. Install new actuator and reverse actions to reinstall.

Tip on reactivating the sticky stuff on the barrier. I tested a small area with GooGone and it made it very tacky again. So as I was installing the barrier back I was applying some GooGone on a paper towel.

After my ordeal with a caliper rebuild I needed this to go easy. Good luck with yours.
    -timing belt/WP @99K
    -Alternator @102K
    -Lower control arms TBD

14. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements