Brake upgrade is a success~
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brake upgrade is a success~

Brake upgrade is a success~

Recently upgraded my '09 Ody EXL's brakes to '10 Pilot calipers/rotor/pads... and the stopping power was there!

Today I brought the Ody to work, and let my co-worker test drive it... he's been curious to my results, since he's had brake issues on his '07 Ody.
    Anyway, after test driving and a quick fwy sprint... he said he's going to order a set for himself...

Best way to describe is... before, the brakes felt like they were trying to stop something that doesnt want to stop... like a big dog on a leash that's dragging you.
    After the brake swap, it feels like driving a normal car. It stops when YOU want it to... The dog is obedient.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

i am very interested in this upgrade. can you post pics and perhaps a parts/price list? Did you do the upgrade yourself?

Yeap.. I did the upgrade myself... I took a bit further with stainless steel braided brake lines (all 6), and DOT4 synthetic brake fluid /flush... but in reality, all you need are the following...

45018-SZA-A01 caliper R ('10 Honda Pilot caliper assembly with carrier)
    45019-SZA-A00 caliper L
    45022-SZA-A00 pads (oem pad set is nice because it comes with backing plates, anti squeal compound, and wire springs to spread the pads)
    46472-568-000 x4 (crush washers for banjo bolts... brake line at the caliper)
    -Your choice of front brake rotors from: '09+ Honda Pilot / '07+ Acura MDX / '11+ Acura ZDX (they're all the same)
    -Brake fluid. 1 liter should be more than enough.

If you know how to change brake pads, rotors, and bleed brakes (fronts only)...this job will be a piece of cake.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Hi to all you guys that are chasing the parts for this conversion. I have been looking at this website for a while, not only for the brakes, but for the power-steering pump and res. Lots of information here. Now to my challenge, how can we upgrade the rear brakes? I have a 06. If we can get the rear brakes to work a little harder, they will take some load off the front brakes. After this "Pilot" upgrade, one would need to readjust the brake bias to the rear, to make everybody in brakecity happy. This would give better tire wear. And for all of you roadracers out there. The rear bias would get rid of the braking/turn in push and get the back end to come around better. Has anybody been looking at this? Thanks for all of your hard work. Mark

Hi Mark... Thanks for your input... and welcome to Odyclub~ Just curious... but do you brake into the turns... hard enough to get push on the Ody? I'd say you're more hardcore than I. I usually have toddlers or a lot of gear (for activities) and save that kinda driving for the track cars.. on the track (430+ hp Audi A4 awd... and SC'd Z3).

As for brake bias... yes that's taking it to the next level. Most BBK upgrades are fine with just front upgrades, afterall,75% of the braking is handled by the front. I am aware that our traction control uses all 4 brakes too. Anyway, I don't have enough resources to test or spec out setups for the rear. If the rears are biased too much in the case of a rear upgrade, then the rear can rotate out (twitchyness) in the event of a hard braking procedure... which is dangerous, unless you're looking for rotation, but still, this probably isn't the vehicle to do that either.

I did contemplate rear upgrades, and I have a feeling that the Honda Parts bin may once again provide interchangeable parts, but I honestly don't think it's worth it. I tried hard to even keep this upgrade on a budget (most of my other cars that get BBK's are all Brembo 4 pistons, and 2 piece floating rotors). I just don't think the Ody needs to go that far. After more long term testing, if I feel I need more rear bias (which at the moment I don't), then I'll probably try more aggressive rear pads.

At the moment, I feel that this setup has hit the nail... It's relatively cheap (especially if you are already going to be replacing some worn/warped rotors)... it's Honda oem (quality)... it looks stock (dealer might not even notice).... it makes driving safer... and gives you a solid reason to get new rims!

My friend who test drove my van today is rather conservative... but it was funny to see him keep repeating quietly, "it's got power.... it's got power..." (braking)

-Joe

Hey joe...

Glad to see it all finally worked out. Can you elaborate a little more on the bending of the splash shield to make things not rub? I think I read somewhere (another thread) that you had to bend something and that it wouldn't quite clear the rotors if you didn't. Basically, I'm looking for details on anything that is not a direct bolt-on swap (i.e. gotchas). Thanks!

Hi Joe, Great Job and thanks for taking the time to document this. I have an '05 and have a few questions:

-Where did you find the S/S brake lines?
    -About those wheels and tires??? What size?
    -Do you use the stock shocks/springs/struts?

Thanks
    2005 Odyssey EX-L

megatron: the bending of the splash shield is really simple. After mounting the rotor (and using the 2 philips screws), the lower part of the shield touches. I just took a rag (so I don't hurt/cut my fingers), and just pushed the lowest part of the shield in (toward centerline of the car). It's very easy. I pushed it in to get about 5mm clearance.
    In reality, it's not even an issue... just push it for a little clearance, and done. Everything is 100% bolt on. Nothing custom.

bdigenna: thanks. I got my SS lines from Techna-Fit. I didn't see the listing for the Ody on their site, but they do have them. Call in and ask to speak to Stuart.
    He's a very cool guy and can take care of you.

Techna-Fit | Contact Us

Other sources include Goodridge... and TireRack.

-My wheel/tires are 19x8.5 (offset 35). Clears perfect. Tires 245/45-R19
    -Shocks are oem Honda, but I mixed/matched from different trim (whichever had the higher damping rates)... but i think the difference is so small, it was probably pointless, but still, they were new, so that probably helped. I used H&R springs, and all oem hardware to assemble the new front strut. This way if I ever need to go back to stock, the original strut is fully assembled, and will be an easy swap. Rears are very easy.

Thanks for the clarification Joe... Did you ever investigate installing the Pilot splash shield instead of doing the bending?

No.. I didnt even consider the Pilot splash guard.

Let's rephrase the tips (no more "B" word). From now on: PUSH the splash guard a little (at the bottom) so the brake disk doesn't touch.

Hi Joe, With the aspect of balance in mind, I am looking for more balanced braking force, not too much to the front(to wear tires and pads before their time) not too much to the rear to "rotate" one into the guardrail, but just to distribute an equal share of the heat and energy around to all players. I am just now coming up to speed with van. We bought it new, "Its a Honda, I won`t have to mess with it". Now i`m finding out that is not the case. The van is my wife`s, I normally drive a Dodge 3/4 p-up with the Cummins. I have worked and worked to get rid of the push that is "normal" with this truck. In the braking department, I increased the wheel cylinder bore(yes it has drum brakes in the rear) by an eighth of an inch, that was magic. No other changes, but it took a little pressure(heat and energy) off of the front. The dust is less and the front pads will last longer. On the Sporty note, I had my truck on a fast dirt road several weeks ago, I was able to set the truck, like a rally car, rotating into the turns for the smooth throttle on slide through the corner. Yes, by myself, nobody else in the desert. Really fun. Joe thanks for your input. Mark. PS Your van looks great.

Do you think the Pilot splash shield would be a direct bolt-on as well so that I don't have to Push the splash shield out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by joe422 View Post
    No.. I didnt even consider the Pilot splash guard.

Let's rephrase the tips (no more "B" word). From now on: PUSH the splash guard a little (at the bottom) so the brake disk doesn't touch.

Great mod.

I tried to read through all the responses and I might of missed the answers to some of my concerns. But could you please clarify further the following for me?

1) Is this a direct replacement, no custom brackets or offsetting of the caliper is required?
    2) Is the Pilot caliper noticibly bigger? Are the pistons larger?
    3) Is the rotor larger?
    4) I use in the spring, summer & fall 18" rims. But in the winter I use the stock 16" rims outfited with winter tires. Will the stock 16" rims clear the caliper?

Thanks.
    - 2010 Mercedes Bens ML550
    - 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L NAV/RES

Hidden Content

Megatron... for your persistance... I looked into it, and NO. the Pilot splash shield will NOT fit the Ody.
    Pilot has a 4 bolt mount, and a spindle with bolt on hubs. The Ody has a 3 bolt shield mount, and a press in hub.

It's not really a big deal. Just push the Ody shield away so it doesn't rub. It's like 5-10 mm (less than the width of your pinky fingernail)

Kayakit... I hear you. I take it your cummins has hydroboost brakes? Very powerful stuff compared to vac boosters.
    As for your bias concerns, and in the spirit of keeping things simple, an low cost, I guess you can try aggressive rear pads to theortically get more rear bias again. The Pilot brakes do help, and you will notice an improvement... but it's not like we're swapping on 8 Piston race calipers, right?

Overall, I'm happy, and I'm done with the Ody's brakes for now. They are improved to what i believe should have been standard.
    If you can take it a step further and get better braking, by all means... go for it. My Ody is still just a minivan... mainly for my wife an kids.
    No late braking, decreasing radius, double apex hitting corners to worry about.

(in the past i've overhauled brakes, done brake swaps, spindle swaps, drum/disk conversions, hydroboost conversions, brake bias controls, and used many Brembos calipers (Lotus, F40, Porsche, etc), SSBS, Stillen, Stoptech, etc... but short of special cars, (race, show, etc), the best upgrades were to keep things simple)

1) Is this a direct replacement, no custom brackets or offsetting of the caliper is required?
    --100% Bolt On. No Mods. Nothing custom. Just push the splash shield a little so it doesnt touch the rotor :o)

2) Is the Pilot caliper noticibly bigger? Are the pistons larger?
    --Yes. It Calipers, Pistons, Pads, Rotors are all larger

3) Is the rotor larger?
    --Yes.

4) I use in the spring, summer & fall 18" rims. But in the winter I use the stock 16" rims outfited with winter tires. Will the stock 16" rims clear the caliper?
    -- You will need a minimum 17" wheel for clearance.

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast