Check Engine Light - How do I retrieve the code?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Check Engine Light - How do I retrieve the code?

Check Engine Light - How do I retrieve the code?

I've searched all over the place for this, and I see tons of evidence that people are getting the CEL codes on their Hondas, but can't find any info on how to do it. On the wife's 2005 Grand Caravan it's simple: just on-off-on-off-on with the ignition key and it displays the code(s) on the odometer. Tried that on the 2007 Odyssey, and it didn't do anything.
    2007 EX-L Slate Green w/o RES w/o NAV
    Weathertech Bug Deflector
    Weathertech Cargo Liner (behind 3rd seat)
    Honda Fog Lights Add-on
    Mr. Grille
    Polk Audio db651s speakers (all 4 locations)

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

DrD
    You need a code reader or code scanner which has an OBD2 interface (not sure if the 07 is CAN bus or not, but most newer readers can deal with the CAN bus) - if you go to autozone or someplace similar, they will usually pull the codes for you.

Thanks for the info. I sure wish Honda had done what Dodge had done, so I wouldn't need a scanner. :^/

I need an inspection sticker anyway, so I'll just let my mechanic tell me what it is.

Thanks again.
    Honda Fog Lights Add-on
    Mr. Grille

Well, it wasn't on when I got in it to go to work yesterday. I think I know what the issue is/was - I had changed the oil and filter earlier in the day it came on (Saturday) and because of a less-than-full jug of Mobil 1 (factory sealed, not leaking, go figure) I only had about 3 quarts in it when I fired it up (there was never any loss of oil pressure, fortunately). I suspected the jug was not all there when I put it in the engine, and confirmed my suspicions after I shut it off and let it drain down - the oil level was completely off the stick. Ended up adding 1.5 quarts, and the level according to the stick is now good. I guess it took a day or two for the computer to calm down about it.
    Honda Fog Lights Add-on
    Mr. Grille

FWIW, it's not likely that the check engine light was for a low oil situation, particularly if the oil pressure was above warning light psi. It could have been a loose gas cap, etc. that reset itself.
    2005 Honda Odyssey Touring
    2002 Infiniti I35
    1995 Nissan

OK. I thought perhaps the Odyssey has a oil level sensor as well as pressure sensor. Obviously such a thing would have to work off of the average level.

In any case, I'll have my mechanic pull the codes when I take it in for the sticker.
    Honda Fog Lights Add-on
    Mr. Grille

Blog Entries
    I do believe that using a jump wire between the #4 and #9 pins on your OBDII port will reveal the code by flashing the CEL in most Hondas (and many other cars). Be careful! You don't want to short anything out. Small alligator clips work great here. Since we live amongst many ham-handed people, I feel compelled to insert the following caveat here: Do this at your own risk!

http://www.digimoto.com/shop/images/...dii_female.jpg

Put your ignition key in the lock, and leave it there. Don't turn it just yet.

Attach your jumper, then turn the key to the II, "On," position, but be sure not to start the engine. The CEL should begin to flash, showing your Diagnostic Trouble Code(s). Sometimes the flashes are long, sometimes short, but they will all be obviously differentiated. Long flashes are 10s, shorts are 1s (two long flashes plus three short flashes = 23, for instance). Write down the numbers of all the flashes, which will make it infinitely easier to decode your findings... The CEL will eventually start repeating the pattern, so you'll know you're done. Go online and Google your findings, using your specific model in the search; Find out what you have, and there you go...

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements