2005 odyssey engine light on, code p0430, help
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2005 odyssey engine light on, code p0430, help

2005 odyssey engine light on, code p0430, help

Engine light came on, my friend scanned the code, the code is p0430, catalytic converter bank 2. The car is out of warranty, do i really need a new converter ? Which side is bank 2 ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Rev Garage. I had the same thing happen with my 05 at only 75k. If you are under 150,000km Honda will cover the catalytic converters. They are covered under a different warranty. If its the backside look forward to a full day to take it out and replace.

Try running a higher grade of fuel if you don't already. Mine has thrown this code several times on and off, I can usually make it go off by running a tank of 93 through it. It will also most likely go off once the weather gets warmer. The o2 sensor on this car are extremely sensitive. If you can get the dealer to cover it under warranty I would do that sooner than later. Wait til you find out how much the convertor is. Could also be the 02 sensor as well.

one of the first notes in the shop manual say that it could be caused by poor fuel quality. You might try using up this tank, clearing the code and see if it comes back. The other item is the replacement of the front WU-TWC. Like a cat converter.
    mwmcginn

2007 Odyssey LX
    2006 Accord VP

Google the code number and you can get a lot of info. If you actually get into replacing a catylytic convertor, if that is actually the problem, it can get expensive although there are aftermarket convertors out thaere that cost a fraction of the Honda part. I was fortunate in that I was still under warranty and you wnat to check that out and rattle a few sabres if they tell you its not covered.

P0141, P0161: Secondary HO2S (Sensor 2) Heater

• Poor quality fuel can cause these DTCs.
    • Information marked with an asterisk (*) applies to the front bank (Bank 2).
    1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    2. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
    3. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
    4. Test-drive under these conditions:
      • Engine coolant temperature above 158 F (70 C)
      • A/T in D position
      • Vehicle speed between 45 mph (72 km/h ) and 75 mph (120 km/h ) for 5 minutes or more with cruise control set
      • Maintain the vehicle speed at 55 mph (88 km/h ) for 5 minutes or more with cruise control set
    1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0420 and/or P0430* in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate EXECUTING? YES - Go to step 6. NO - Go to step 4 and recheck.
    2. Continue test driving until a result comes on.
    3. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0420 and/or P0430* in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate FAILED? YES - Go to step 8. NO - If the screen indicates PASSED, intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION, go to step 4 and recheck.
    4. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    5. Replace the WU-TWC.
    6. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
    7. Reset the PCM with the HDS.
    8. Do the PCM idle learn procedure.
    9. Start the engine. Hold the engine speed at 3,000 rpm without load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
    10. Test-drive for about 10 minutes , continually changing the vehicle speed.
    11. Check the CATA MON TEMP in the DATA LIST with the HDS. Is the temperature OK? YES - Go to step 16. NO - Go to step 13 and recheck.
    12. Test-drive under these conditions:
      • Engine coolant temperature above 158 F (70 C)
      • A/T in D position
      • Maintain the vehicle speed at 55 mph (88 km/h ) for 5 minutes or more with cruise control set
    1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0420 and/or P0430* in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate EXECUTING? YES - Go to step 18. NO - Go to step 16 and recheck.
    2. Continue test driving until a result comes on.
    3. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS. Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated? YES - Go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting. NO - Go to step 20.
    4. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P0420 and/or P0430* in the DTCs MENU with the HDS. Does the screen indicate PASSED? YES - Troubleshooting is complete. NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, check the fuel quality. If the screen indicates EXECUTING, keep driving until a result comes on. If the screen indicates OUT OF CONDITION, go to step 13 and recheck.

Emission warranty is longer than std warranty. (most are 100miles) but not positive

I'd recommend clear code, change to premuim fuel and try. Cat efficency codes are set by a computer caculation of the sensor before and after the converter ASSUMING both sensors are working proper. A lazy sensor can set false efficency codes. The computer is looking for a change in the Exhaust as it checks it before and after going thru converter. so until diagnosed its not 100% converter.

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements