Front brake shudder, 2006 EX-L
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Front brake shudder, 2006 EX-L

Front brake shudder, 2006 EX-L

Front brakes shudder when applied at high speed. Brakes are new with approximately 5,000 miles using premium parts. Low speed, brakes work fine with no shuddering. problem just started this past week. Haven't had a chance to take a look but will do so next week. Any tips on what to look for. I did the brakes myself using all new parts except for calipers. Thx in advance for any good advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Could be any number of things. Check to make sure there is no grease or oil on them, it will leave BURN marks on rotors if there is, Some pads use thier own backing plates that can come out of place and place the pad at an amgle compared to rotor, also the leading edge of the pads can chatter on the rotor, most pads are chamfered in this area.

Not judging your work but also loose hardware can cause

Al

You didn't say how many miles were on the car. Mine has 120K and had the original rotors all around. It developed the same high speed braking shudder. I replaced pads and turned the rotors and it was still there. The tires needed to be replaced so I bought a new set of Assurance Fuel Max. Still had the shudder. Bought the ultra premium rotors from NAPA and the shudder is gone. The high speed part of the equation developed really quickly which is why I didn't suspect warped rotors earlier. For under $100 and 30 minutes of your time, change out the rotors and eliminate them from the equation.

Thx. That's the part which mystifies me. New tires and new rotors which are the NAPA ultra premium rotors, new premium pads, torqued all connections according to Honda specs w a torque wrench, Hopefully if for some freakish reason those new rotors warped NAPA will help me out. Not holding my breathe on that. Will attack the problem tomorrow. Thx for the ideas. 149,000 miles on the van. Love the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingtaurus View Post
    Thx. That's the part which mystifies me. New tires and new rotors which are the NAPA ultra premium rotors, new premium pads, torqued all connections according to Honda specs w a torque wrench, Hopefully if for some freakish reason those new rotors warped NAPA will help me out. Not holding my breathe on that. Will attack the problem tomorrow. Thx for the ideas. 149,000 miles on the van. Love the vehicle.
    By shudder do you mean steering wheel vibration, while braking at high speed?
    If so, you almost certainly have issue with one or both of your front rotors.
    You can buy a tool to measure rotor runout, harbor freight has a cheap one that worked for me. When I replaced rotors on my ody, I also
    lucked out and bought a brand new rotor that had bad runout. The car vibrated like crazy.
    Rotors don't warp per se, they are just not perfectly flat and parallel. If the van did not shudder right after brakes and rotors were replaced, one of two things happened. The pad material could have built up a high spot on the rotor, causing vibration, or the rotor had a weak spot, were it wore down more than every other place. We are talking about tolerance of thousands of an inch. I believe Honda specifies anything under 0.004" as normal.
    If you still got your old rotors, you can try replacing your new one with old one, one at a time to figure out which one is bad, or if your store will be kind to you, ask for 2 new ones.
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

Most likely you have cheap chinese made rotors. That's pretty much what all the big auto stores sell now. I would take them back to where you bought them and try to get a refund. I would try to find some made in the USA, but good luck with that. They are getting harder and harder to find. Expect to spend about double what you paid for these if you can find some. Good Luck
    05 Touring (Hers)
    04 Cadillac CTS-V (Mine)
    97 Mercury Sable (All around Beater)

The NAPA ultra premiums are roughly $8- a pop. Not cheap and on par price wise with the fancier rotors with the slots.

Try taking them back to NAPA. They replaced the pads three times for me before we went to the rotors.

Well did some research and evidently the NAPA premium rotors have their share of complaints. Actually found the complaints about these rotors on the internet. I'm also wondering about the possible uneven temperature exchange from my pads which have ceramic on the outside pads and non-ceramic on the inner. in theory that would be a nice combo because it cuts down on brake dust w ceramic on the outer but it also could create different temperatures from the pads on each side of the rotor because of differing pad material which could have an effect on the rotor, especially one of cheap manufacture. Not saying this is the case nor any dig/slam on NAPA parts. I still give them my business on other vehicle parts. My front rotors are definitely warped and replacing them next week w probably centric rotors and pads. Ceramic pads on both sides of the rotors this time around. Very expensive lesson for my household. I did call NAPA and unfortunately w/out a receipt, which I of course cannot find, not much they can do for me ref. return, which I understand.
    Last edited by flyingtaurus; 06-10-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Does Napa not keep track of your purchases by phone number like every other major parts store?
    05 Touring (Hers)
    04 Cadillac CTS-V (Mine)
    97 Mercury Sable (All around Beater)

No, at least not this NAPA store close to my home.

12. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements