Cost of Timing Belt and/or power steering pump replacement...
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Timing Belt and/or power steering pump replacement...

Question Cost of Timing Belt and/or power steering pump replacement...

I spent the last 1/2 hour searching and found a large range in costs to replace the timing belt and/or the power steering pump on a 2008 Odyssey. Here's what I've found so far...

Timing Belt $550 to $800
    Power Steering Pump $300 to $400
    Both $1,100

Can I please get a more concise estimate for what this should cost?

Normally, I would do the power steering pump myself, but if I have to have the timing belt replaced anyway I think I'll just let the mechanic do it...or should I?

Also, I have 117k on my Odyssey in the AZ heat. Can I afford to wait any longer, or am I living on borrowed time?

Note: My car makes a winding noise that corresponds to the RPMs at all speeds with or without the climate control on which is why I think the power steering pump is going bad, but I'm not completely sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I just went through my service receipts and found that the power steering pump was replaced at 44k according to the following TSB...so maybe its not the power steering pump.

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A10-076.PDF

Any other ideas as to what the winding noise could be?

cnn
    whining noise.....I posted info in forum re PS Reservoir (It is $12 at dealer), easy DIY.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

We went to Bell Honda and have been treated well. Our TB was right at $1K with some additional fixes including the power steering pump. So, all in all, we paid just over $1200 for TB and PS plus brake check and misc stuff.

For the record, Scottsdale is the #1 in the PHX area followed by Avondale. Everyone else is just trying to get seconds at the table. Bell seemed willing to help and was suggestive to other issues. Josh S was our service advisor.

Does a faulty power steering pump cause difficulty with making low speed sharp turns? It's not whining, but when we try to turn around in the driveway, the wheel becomes very difficult to turn. Once we're moving, no issues.
    2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES (Taffeta White/Ivory Leather interior) sunroof, 8 passenger, etc.*stock*
    2009.5 VW GTI 6 Speed (2.0 TSI) 4Door (United Grey Met/Anthracite Leather) Autobahn Pkg. *stock*

Your right in the price range for repairs, differance will be from shop to shop and CHEAPER is not always better, choose a reputable repair shop.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by VeeTec View Post
    Does a faulty power steering pump cause difficulty with making low speed sharp turns? It's not whining, but when we try to turn around in the driveway, the wheel becomes very difficult to turn. Once we're moving, no issues.
    That is on a TSB I posted a link to in post #1

Quote Originally Posted by CumminsPowerGen View Post
    We went to Bell Honda and have been treated well. Our TB was right at $1K with some additional fixes including the power steering pump. So, all in all, we paid just over $1200 for TB and PS plus brake check and misc stuff.

For the record, Scottsdale is the #1 in the PHX area followed by Avondale. Everyone else is just trying to get seconds at the table. Bell seemed willing to help and was suggestive to other issues. Josh S was our service advisor.
    Thanks for your help.

I took cnn's advice and replaced my PS reservoir along with a complete flush and fill of the PS fluid. It was very easy to do according to his DIY instructions (see link below), but unfortunately it didn't fix the whining noise.

Does the diming belt make a whining noise when it's about ready to go?

Power Steering Pump Replacement DIY

San Tan Honda just quoted me $695 for TB, water pump, external drive belt, and all associated seals or $445 for the TB only. I have an appointment with Desert Car Care in Gilbert tomorrow to see what they charge. They are recommended by the Bumper to Bumper radio show on KTAR and have an A+ rating by the BBB with zero complaints in their history.

I recently got a recall notice for my 2008 Odyssey. It was for a power steering related problem. It said if I was having any issues with my power-steering to bring it in to my dealer, if not, the offer would be good for any future problem that might arise. I keep it in my glove box just in case. It appears they have been having issues with the p.s. Before you pay for repairs, you might look into this.

I just got some quotes from Desert Care Care. I had a bad alternator bearing.

Alternator and Serpentine Belt: $758.24

Water Pump, Timing Belt, Tensioners, Pulleys, Coolant Change: $1,228.02
    Spark Plugs and Top Engine Clean (whatever that means): $404.12

They were very nice people and they didn't even charge me for the diagnosis, even though I chose to go back to the dealer for service. I bought them lunch because they refused to let me pay anythinng even though they diagnosed the problem with my car.

I'll post the final dealer cost when I get the bill, but it looks like it's going to be about 1/2 the cost of the above prices. I'm going to do the spark plugs myself and I would normally do the alternator too, but since the dealer isn't going to charge me labor for the alternator if I do the timing belt at the same time, I'm going to let them do it.

Chicago suburb. I was quoted $1100 for TB replacement (incl. new tensioners/pulleys/water pump) - they had a promo at that time, am not sure what the regular price is.
    Andrew
    2008 BMW 335i ZSP
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I think the tensioners and pulleys have a lot to do with the higher cost of the TB replacement. My dealer says only 1/100 need to be replaced, so they don't do it unless it is necessary.

My total repair bill was $1,370. It included water pump, tensioner, timing belt, alternator, serpentine belt, coolant flush/fill. I was not charged labor on the alternator.

If you replaced the PS pump, and reservoir out of pocket, you are entitled to receive reimbursements from Honda. Please call Honda and get the form mailed to you. This happened to me early last year where I had issues with the PS. I paid out of pocket for the reservoir replacement and labour for the PS pump replacement. Honda Canada sent me the form late last year and they reimbursed me fully.
    2007 EX-L Desert Silver 80,900 KMs (as of March 2011)
    Original Michelin tires wore out at 68000 Kms
    Replaced with Toyo Extensas (awesome!)
    2000 ZX-7R - my Toy

+1 for Santan Honda. I had my transmission and ps pump replaced there recently. The 2012 Ody loaner was a nice freebie, and the 3/36 warranty is nice for peace of mind.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements