Timing belt and replacing water pump?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt and replacing water pump?

Timing belt and replacing water pump?

I've owned several Honda automobiles and have always replaced water pumps with timing belts. I have a 2008 Odyssey Touring with 105k miles on it that I need to get timing belt replaced. Called my local dealer in Fort Wayne, IN and got a price.

For $867.95, they do the following for a 105k service.
    -oil change, tire rotation
    -check brakes
    -fuel injection cleaned
    -timing belt and all accessory belts
    -spark plugs

I didn't think this was a bad price at all. But, the one thing they don't do as part of the service is change the water pump, which I ALWAYS thought you did when changing timing belt. The service advisor said they don't have any problems and don't do it anymore and he can't think of a water pump that has failed. I asked how much if I wanted the water pump changed out too and it was another $283.00 which I thought sounded high too when you are already in there.

My first question is-Do you need to replace the water pump when replacing timing belt?

2nd question is-Does that sound like a high price?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

andedan, I will offer an answer to your first question: Do you need to replace the water pump when replacing the TB? The simple answer is no. However, if it fails before the next TB change, it will cost big bucks to replace it. So I have it changed with the TB just to reduce the chance of getting a big repair bill when it eventually fails.
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

Yes, you always do the water pump with TB. This job and spark plugs is about $720 at our dealer.
    2006 EX-L

What dealer in Cincinnati, OH is that?

Do the valve adjustment too.
    2005 Odyssey EX-L with a lot of those little goldfish crackers under the seats.

DrD
    I would recommend changing the tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, and water pump when you do the timing belt - if the pump or either of the pulleys die, they are taking your new belt with them which, since the Odyssey has an interference engine, is going to be a very costly repair.

When I did my belt, the pulleys still turned smoothly, but had significantly more play than the new ones - the tensioner was also leaking a bit.

You'll be due for plugs, so I'd replace them, too. See what they are going to do for cleaning the injectors/fuel system - if it's just dumping some stuff in the fuel tank, you are better off doing that on your own.

What does 105K service mean? Does this mean service at 105,000 kilometres or 105,000 miles?

I was always under the impression timing belt was to be replaced at 160,000 km, which would be 100,000 miles?

My van is at 120+ kilometres, yet I have not replaced the timing belt yet.

Strohs, please read posts more carefully the OP said miles. You are in KM land. As I said elsewhere, that's about the same distance.

cnn
    LOL,

South of the border, we (in the US) still live in the world of British miles, gallons, etc.
    Sadly, the US and our buddies Liberia and Burma are the last few countries that still use miles, gallons etc.

Back to topic, in most vehicles out there, if you do the TB, I'd recommend doing it at 90K +/- 5K miles.
    Not worth pushing it. A damaged engine is way more expensive.
    Also, it is more than the TB itself. My philosophy is: anything in that area...I usually replace them too.
    This is because I:
    - am a DIYer
    - believe in "doing things once".

Having said that, at 90K-100K miles, this is what I'd do:
    - TB + all pulleys, tensioners
    - strongly consider cam, crank seals.
    - While there you may as well replace the WP. WP may go at 100K, or it may go at 160K miles.
    It is cheap, so do it.
    Also when the WP seizes up, it screws up everything in there: TB + engine.
    - Serpentine belt + pulleys/tensioners.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Quote Originally Posted by strohs View Post
    What does 105K service mean? Does this mean service at 105,000 kilometres or 105,000 miles?

I was always under the impression timing belt was to be replaced at 160,000 km, which would be 100,000 miles?

My van is at 120+ kilometres, yet I have not replaced the timing belt yet.
    TB replacement is also due after 7 years, even if the mileage hasn't reached 160K. What year is your van?
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    It appears you have a 2005. I think 7 years is too early personally (Honda recommends 7 years or 168,000 kms whichever comes first). I would wait until next year and start saving for this major service. To the list of CNN's above I would add a the thermostat as well.

Consider buying all these parts online to save $$$ over the dealer prices. Especially in Canada, I used YourHondaPart.com (yes they ship to Canada via USPS not UPS) and saved hundreds on the belts, tensioner, pump, seals, pulleys.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    TB replacement is also due after 7 years, even if the mileage hasn't reached 160K. What year is your van?
    Yes, I do have a 2005. My mechanic warned me about this expensive repair last year, so I am mentally prepared for it.

I am currently at 126,000 km. At the current rate, I look to be having this work done next summer. I am planning to get it done around 150,000 to 155,000 km.

*gulp*

Man, I am sitting at the dealer now. Just dropped my van off for service. The service advisor made me feel like an idiot for replacing water pump! He said they haven't had any problems with water pumps on the v6s. Every other dealer I called to get prices includes replacing water pump! How about some reassurance that I'm not throwing 285 bucks away!

Wish you all the best spending done extra bucks will save you big in future.

I have to think that the service advisor is correct in that they don't see many water pump failures on the V6. Almost every dealership I have been to try's to milk out as much cash as they can from the customer. It's kind of nice that they seem to want to save you some money. However, $285 to add a water pump change while they are doing a timing belt seems high, unless that also includes adding the coolant change.

If you plan on keeping you Ody for awhile, I would do the water pump AND valve adjustment.
    2005 Odyssey EX-L with a lot of those little goldfish crackers under the seats.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements