Vibration=cv axle worn=warranty company won't fix
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibration=cv axle worn=warranty company won't fix

Vibration=cv axle worn=warranty company won't fix

Well, my 2005 ody has a terrible vibration at 60-70 mph under acceleration. I've had the tires balanced and that is not the problem. I did some research and concluded that my axles are messed up so I took it to the dealer to check it out. I bought a warranty when I purchased the van (8 months ago) and thought these were covered. Unfortunately, since the axle is not physically broken and there is no noise from the CV joints, they will not pay to have it fixed. The dealer wants $900 and I'm not going to pay that kind of cash. So, that brings me to my questions (I searched but didn't come up with much):

1. Is there a DIY for axle replacements on the 05+?

2. Do I have to go Honda for parts or is there another brand that is good?

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn
    You can use EMPI but it is:
    - hit and miss in terms of qaulity
    - $90 anyway.

Honda re-mfg axle is not that bad:
    (R) side 44305-SHJ-L01RM.....$147
    (L) side 44306-SHJ-L01RM... $147

Make sure you replace the transmission seals while there.

If you have replaced axles before in other cars, it is the same procedure, nothing special.
    The most important thing is:
    - 1/2" breaker bar + 4 foot section of iron pipe to undo the large axle nut
    - Or use air tool

Majestic Honda - The Internet's #1 Honda Automotive Parts Store
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Thanks for the info. I did see some stuff about EMPI....something about one thing being hollow and another not being hollow. Anyways, the price difference isn't so huge that I would gamble on quality. My time is limited and I don't like to do the same thing twice. I've never done axles before so this will be a learning experience. I did find a pretty good writeup for a 2004 Odyssey that gives me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

When you mention seals, do you mean the seal between the axle and the tranny? Do you have a part number for it?

Also, what is the warranty of the remans?

My experience with 3rd part remans is pretty bad at about a 50% failure rate within 12 months. If the dealer is only $60 more, go for it. The only 3rd party axle I trust right now is Raxles and I have no idea if they have an Odyssey axle. Raxles

Problems I have seen with parts store reman axles (BMW and Ford):
    Damaged splines from poor shipping that reassembly difficult to impossible
    Garbage CV joints that wear out in a few months
    "rebuild" CV joints that wear out in a few months
    Garbage boots that split or tear in a few months
    2007 EX-L

cnn
    1+,

Stick to Honda Axles. Ask dealer re warranty of re-mfg parts.

This DIY is from a 1999 Honda Odyssey but the idea is the same as 3rd gen Ody:
    Honda Odyssey Axle Replacement | Happy Wrenching

I wrote a DIY for my FWD 1998 Volvo V70, the idea is the same. See the post from Oct 09, 2011:
    http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?t=29716

The KEY things:
    1. Proper support of the van on jackstands! Safety first.
    2. Proper tools/procedures.
    3. The right parts (Honda only)
    4. Do everything while there.
    Look up Honda websites for seals PN.
    To remove seal, you may need to tap 2 sheet-metal screws into the seal itself (search online for tips).
    Make sure you don't damage the sealing surface.
    The screws allow you to extract the seal easily.
    - To install new seal: use the OLD seal (or appropriate socket) to drive it in (wet it with oil first).
    Last edited by cnn; 06-05-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's the axles?
    05 Touring (Hers)
    04 Cadillac CTS-V (Mine)
    97 Mercury Sable (All around Beater)

who is your warranty provider? As I bought my van last month with only 33k miles, I am still thinking. I did some research, and the only issue I am coming across once you buy the warranty, then it will be a hard game to the warranty co. to approve the job.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's the axles?
    The only reason I think its the axles is because the vibration only happens during acceleration and the tires are most definitely balanced. The dealer did a "diagnostic" and claimed it was the axles. When I asked about how you diagnose this problem he told me that they drove it and got it on the lift. He said he could see the axles hopping. I asked him what was wrong with the axles and he said they were just "worn". As I've been reading, I believe that my axle or axles are bent. Check here for some troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by wamld View Post
    who is your warranty provider? As I bought my van last month with only 33k miles, I am still thinking. I did some research, and the only issue I am coming across once you buy the warranty, then it will be a hard game to the warranty co. to approve the job.
    I can't remember....American something or other......the paper work is in the glovebox. My van has 136k on it and I bought it with 126k on it. I thought that a warranty would give me a little piece of mind for 24k because I've replaced a/c compressors on other vehicles around this mileage and the cost of the warranty wasn't much more than a compressor replacement. I don't really blame the warranty company.....well I kinda do . I feel like the dealer was a pansy and didn't back me up like they should have. What does a "worn" cv-axle even mean? What part is worn? If its bent, does that mean that it has failed?

I ended up buying the axles from Majestic and I bought a few bulbs to fix my climate control lights. All in all, I spent about $341. Had I bought re-manufactured axles from the local Honda dealer I would have spent $485 just on axles.

Very interesting, I'll be curious to see if this fixes the problem. I hope it does, please reply here after you change them.
    05 Touring (Hers)
    04 Cadillac CTS-V (Mine)
    97 Mercury Sable (All around Beater)

My parts are in and I will be changing axles today. One question: Do I need to apply any grease to the ends of the axles (on the splines)?

Thumbs up New developments

I have axle grease all over the transmission. The upseting part about this is that the dealer told me that he saw no problems other than the fact that the axles are worn. It looks to me like the boot is leaking and has let some contaminates in and this has caused some premature wear on my inner cv joint.

I just called the dealer and let them know my frustrations especially over the fact that they didn't tell the warranty company that I had a boot leaking. It appears (this is not conclusive) that the dealer didn't want to do warranty work but thought they could make some extra bank off of me. I hope thats not true but it sure does feel possible. Right now I'm not sure what I'm going to do because the service guy is going to talk to his manager and see what kind of options I have....at the very least, I want my $75 diagnotic fee back and I'll possible push for some kind of parts reimbursement (not sure if I can because I bought the parts from Majestic).

One possiblitlity is that the boot was not leaking when I took it to them. Maybe the vibration is from a worn cv axle and the boot just went bad in the last week. There is no telling.

We shall see.

Last update of the day:

The dealer is going to take the van back in on Monday and try to get the warranty company to pay for the fix. If for some reason that doesn't work then they are prepared to repair it with the parts I have and charge me $75 per side. I have already paid a diagnostic fee that is supposed to go towards any future repairs to the initial problem ($75) so the end cost will be another $75.

I have chosen this option because of two reasons:
    1. There is a chance I can get reimbursed for all parts and have labor covered if the warranty company picks it up.
    2. If not, $75 isn't bad to have a certified tech replace the parts. If something breaks or goes wrong then I am not liable.

Now, eventhough I'm not replacing the parts, I will say that the DIY for the last gen odyssey looks to be exactly the same as our gen.....at least it is on the driver side. I never pulled the axle from the transmission but I would assume it to be pretty easy. It looks like the passenger side would be equally easy because you are only separating it from the half shaft.

Overall, I'm happy to not do it but also disappointed in not doing it. There is a principle that has to be enforced on the dealer for missing it so that I another reason I am taking it to them.

I'm curious if the axles fixed your vibration? I recently purchased an 06 Odyssey knowing about it's problem for an extremely good price one owner car owned by a Honda Dealership and purchased at an auction for re-sell. It's problem is that it shakes or wobbles (not the wheels tires) between 35 and 55 mph under acceleration but goes away while decelerating. I was a mechanic for 7 years, and this is the first time i have ever experienced this type of issue. And frankly am kinda stumped.

Hard to tell from that picture but I don't see a metal strap around the large end of the CV boot.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements