2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace

2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace

Just made a video for my future reference and to help anyone else out that may be considering a starter replace. My way of giving back to these forums that has been very helpful to me in the past.

05 Honda Ody EX-L Sage/Ivory
    93 Mazda Rx-7 Touring

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

A super great video. I think you are ready for a TB soon if not done already!

cnn
    Excellent video, thanks!
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

damn you, for stealing my thunder, lol

I had a starter go out on me on the 15th of December and just got around to the write up. Was about to post it when I decided to do one last search to make sure I wasn't double posting. lo-and-behold, you posted this just 2 days ago. One comment about the starting issue, sometimes if its not clicking, it could be the neutral switch, I shift the car into neutral and give it a try, just for good measure. I'll post my writeup anyways, if you don't mind (if you do mind, shoot me a PM and I'll delete it).

Tools:
    10mm deep socket
    10mm wrench or short socket (for front battery shelf bolt under air duct)
    12mm socket
    17mm socket
    3 or 6" socket extension (I also used the harbor freight extensions)
    breaker bar
    flathead screw driver
    PB blaster (optional)
    Impact wrench and impact rated extensions (optional)

Time: 30-45 minutes (more if you have trouble with that wretched battery shelf)

1. Disconnect battery (negative terminal first), unbolt tiedowns, remove battery and plastic box
    2. Remove airbox and intake tubing (10mm bolts for airbox). Also unplug abs (?) by pushing in the black tab and flipping the orange lever.
    3. Remove battery shelf (2 easily visible 12mm bolts on top, plus 10mm for airbox connection, front air deflector, and positive battery cable), and 2 12mm hard to reach bolts, located under the shelf (see image - pictured rear bolts of battery shelf, front are in same general location, all 12mm)2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace-20121216_104454-1.jpg
    4. Remove 2 starter bolts (17mm), I used the new starter as a reference, if you haven't bought a replacement yet, 1 bolt is directly under the large black cylinder (see image 4a),2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace-20121216_103455-1.jpg
    other is above electrical connections (see image 4b). 2005 Honda Odyssey DIY starter replace-20121216_103413-1.jpg
    I soaked the bolts in PB blaster, as well as needed a breaker bar, those suckers are on there tight. If you're having difficulty with the angle, I found myself removing the socket from the breaker bar, rotating it 90* every turn (1 pull on the breaker bar)
    5. Remove protective boot on positive terminal, and unbolt (10 mm deep socket). unplug negative spade by just wiggling it loose.
    6. Reverse to put everything back together (don't forget to tighten up the lower battery tray bolts before reinstalling the airbox (ask me how I know)). for the lower rear bolt, the shelf is slotted, so you can start the bolt, then slide the shelf in, and then tighten all the way, if that makes it easier.

I definately do not mind. That's what makes these forums great. Now that I've done it, I wouldn't hesitate to help a buddy out that has the same van. That back bottom shelf bolt took me forever to loosen up. I didn't want to strip it and all I could fit in that tight spot was an open-end/box-end wrench. Once I broke it loose I used a ratcheting box-end wrench.

And the 17mm bolts were on there ridiculously tight. I had to bump up the air pressure on the impact wrench to 120psi. I actually sheared a non-impact rated extension trying to loosen that bottom bolt.

I welcome any criticisms and other pointers. Between everyone that has replaced the starter in the past, the goal should be to eventually have a perfect process as people contribute to the thread.
    93 Mazda Rx-7 Touring

Quote Originally Posted by Northwoodshyun View Post
    A super great video. I think you are ready for a TB soon if not done already!
    I haven't done the timing belt yet, but I've read a lot about it on these forums. I've been weighing the options. I'm going to call around and get some quotes from the non-dealership mechanic shops.
    93 Mazda Rx-7 Touring

cnn
    Hey Tripod,

Where you get the starter motor from (I saw brand-name "Tough One" on the box).
    Also pricing and warranty for how long?

The Honda starter is expensive, around $260/each for refurbished.

cnn
    Tripod,

If you decide to rebuild the old starter that you removed from the Ody, please do a write-up specifically for the Rebuild process.

I see quite a few ebay sellers selling the rebuild kit for $30-$50 range.
    Just search ebay for "STARTER REPAIR KIT Honda ODYSSEY".

Example:
    Starter Brush Repair Kit Honda Acura | eBay

Very helpful post guys thank you.

What aftermarket starters would you consider for a replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagic14n View Post
    damn you, for stealing my thunder, lol

Tools:
    10mm deep socket
    10mm wrench or short socket (for front battery shelf bolt under air duct)
    12mm socket
    17mm socket
    3” or 6" socket extension (I also used the harbor freight extensions)
    breaker bar
    flathead screw driver
    PB blaster (optional)
    Impact wrench and impact rated extensions (optional)

Time: 30-45 minutes (more if you have trouble with that wretched battery shelf)

2. Remove airbox and intake tubing (10mm bolts for airbox). Also unplug abs (?) by pushing in the black tab and flipping the orange lever.

6. Reverse to put everything back together (don't forget to tighten up the lower battery tray bolts before reinstalling the airbox (ask me how I know)). for the lower rear bolt, the shelf is slotted, so you can start the bolt, then slide the shelf in, and then tighten all the way, if that makes it easier.
    Are there plastic fasteners which may snap/break?
    Any use of thread locker when putting it back together?

TIA!

...one more... torque value?

VQT
    Great job, please let us know where you buy the starter at.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2005Odyssa View Post
    ...one more... torque value?
    Upper bolt: 33 ft-lb
    Lower bolt: 47 ft-lb
    2002 Odyssey EX FG
    Honda hood deflector, mud guards, AC condenser screen mod, Zyml wax, Honda ATF cooler, Amsoil EaO20 oil filter, Amsoil synthetic 5W20, Amsoil ATF 6/2011, Krown rustproofing, block heater (gets cc...cold in Canada in winter!)

Quote Originally Posted by VQT View Post
    Great job, please let us know where you buy the starter at.

Thanks
    You can get that starter at Advance. I just replaced mine yesterday. Use code HUGE30 and get $30.00 off a $90.00 order. Got mine with tax for $75.00.
    Last edited by tullaroan; 02-04-2013 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagic14n View Post
    3. Remove battery shelf (2 easily visible 12mm bolts on top, plus 10mm for airbox connection, front air deflector, and positive battery cable), and 2 12mm hard to reach bolts, located “under” the shelf

Thanks you two for this. Replaced the starter of my 05 last weekend. Took this rookie about 1.5 hours total. I found one thing that might help with the removal of the battery tray. The two rear 12MM bolts just need to be loosened. The bolt holes on the tray have openings and are in the shape of a "C", the front two are the regular "O" type of bolt holes. At 3:54 in the video you can see the bottom rear bolt hole. Remove the front two (the ones closest to the grill) and just loosen the back too. the tray can be slid forward and removed upward.

Hope this helps the next starter replacement project.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements