3rd gen buyer guide
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd gen buyer guide

3rd gen buyer guide

I browsed this thread for common problem on 3rd gen. Mostly I found engine mount problem related to VCM, costly Depax, power steering pump, and few CEL issues. We have 02 EX and looking to upgrade to 07 & up. For me the simpler the Van the easier for me to troubleshoot since I DIY my cars. What 3rd gen don't have VCM? Is it true that all LX model have no VCM? So far VCM issue is the one that I'm nervous about.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Why would you be nervous about the VCM? Thats something ECU controls. PAX system is on all 2007 Touring models, and some 2008 Touring's, and 2009-2010 it was no longer available. I would go with a EX-L or Touring. If you want a less problematic van then I would go with a 2010 Touring, just because its that last year of the 3rd gen, and most of the kinks were solve.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring
    RES - NAV v4.73 - Silver Pearl - 18" Acura MDX Sport Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/55R18 - Pax Free Since 12/2008 - Spare Tire Installed - 5000K Xtreme HID - MrGrille - K&N Drop In Air Filter - Putco Interior LED Lights & License Plate Lights (Xenon Depot) - Honda All Weather Mats and Rear Tray.
    2008 Acura TSX

Quote Originally Posted by tC_demon View Post
    Why would you be nervous about the VCM? Thats something ECU controls. PAX system is on all 2007 Touring models, and some 2008 Touring's, and 2009-2010 it was no longer available. I would go with a EX-L or Touring. If you want a less problematic van then I would go with a 2010 Touring, just because its that last year of the 3rd gen, and most of the kinks were solve.
    Yes, but the numerous rear engine mount failures due to vibration when the VCM kicks in is what makes me nervous. The DIY work is ok but those engine mounts are spendy.

A 2010 might be a stretch for us. Our budget is $20K max.

Thanks

I see your point! I can suggest to stay on top of the spark plugs, I currently have 42K on my ODY and starting to feel the vibration a little bit more than normal, I plan to change them at 50K. I personally like the 07 model because am not to fond of the front grill on the 2008+. Your being smart about staying away from the 2005 and 2006 the transmission problems blows! lol...If you get a 2007 that chances are it might be depax already. Am starting to see more and more depax ODY's!
    RES - NAV v4.73 - Silver Pearl - 18" Acura MDX Sport Wheels - Continental ExtremeContact DWS 235/55R18 - Pax Free Since 12/2008 - Spare Tire Installed - 5000K Xtreme HID - MrGrille - K&N Drop In Air Filter - Putco Interior LED Lights & License Plate Lights (Xenon Depot) - Honda All Weather Mats and Rear Tray.
    2008 Acura TSX

Do you know that the LX models have no VCM?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MSU2000 View Post
    Do you know that the LX models have no VCM?
    Thanks
    Both the LX and EX models in the 3rd Generation Odys have the "VCM-Free" engine. I prefer the EX as it has a few more options on it than the bare-bones LX. Neither had PAX tires. But good luck finding either one in the used car market - most of the ones available from 2007 on you will find will be either Tourings or EX-Ls with, of course, VCM engines.
    08 EX Slate Green Metallic w/ Olive Interior
    09 Civic LX (wish it was an Si)
    07 Accord SE V6 AT MY car, I love it!
    02 Insight CVT (!!!) Wife flew to MS to get it from dealer. Don't ask me why. NO logical explanation.
    01 Insight CVT (RIP) Wife had MVC,totaled it. She is no longer in mourning

Quote Originally Posted by tC_demon View Post
    I see your point! I can suggest to stay on top of the spark plugs, I currently have 42K on my ODY and starting to feel the vibration a little bit more than normal, I plan to change them at 50K. I personally like the 07 model because am not to fond of the front grill on the 2008+. Your being smart about staying away from the 2005 and 2006 the transmission problems blows! lol...If you get a 2007 that chances are it might be depax already. Am starting to see more and more depax ODY's!
    Accordind to carcomplaints.com the 2007 Odyssey has more steering, brake and transmission problems reported than the 2005 model. The 2005 really only having more problems with the A/C. Whether its the reality of the actual truth or not, not sure, but that's the info they have. The trans on the '07 though is probably more related to the fact that they dropped the ridgeline trans in the Osyssey for the first time and then webt along working out the kinks in '08 and '09. At the price of what some '09's and '10's go for, Id rather wait 8-10 months and get a used '11.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoOdyZantac View Post
    Both the LX and EX models in the 3rd Generation Odys have the "VCM-Free" engine. I prefer the EX as it has a few more options on it than the bare-bones LX. Neither had PAX tires. But good luck finding either one in the used car market - most of the ones available from 2007 on you will find will be either Tourings or EX-Ls with, of course, VCM engines.
    I found 2 LXs 3rd gen in my area with low miles. I actually prefer the bare bones ones since I do my DIY on both my car and wife's ( the Van). EX will do just fine as long as the price is right. You are right though I saw tons of EX-L and Touring but non EX. We're not in hurry and we'll keep looking. I was looking for Sienna also, but not familar with Toyota and it seems like a bit more expensive for the same van.

Quote Originally Posted by OdyFresh View Post
    Accordind to carcomplaints.com the 2007 Odyssey has more steering, brake and transmission problems reported than the 2005 model. The 2005 really only having more problems with the A/C. Whether its the reality of the actual truth or not, not sure, but that's the info they have. The trans on the '07 though is probably more related to the fact that they dropped the ridgeline trans in the Osyssey for the first time and then webt along working out the kinks in '08 and '09. At the price of what some '09's and '10's go for, Id rather wait 8-10 months and get a used '11.
    I found it odd that not a single complaint about VCM related issue on 07 at carcomplaints.com. The power steering, brakes and electrical are OK DIY work, but the tranny is another level. Tons of work and money.

Thanks for the lead to the website

I have to admit when you read some of the comments on carcomplaints.com it's quite scary Lol Makes you wanna buy a bicycle and not buy any vehicle. IMHO I believe in reality that its really a lottery sometimes if you're gonna get a lemon or not. I know people who have vehicle like a 2005 armada and never had problems with all the things they say on that site as well as know people that can confirm. I know people with 285k miles on 2005 Odyssey and I know people who lost the transmission at 62k But there is alot more involved IMO because what the complaints dont talk about are people driving habits what they use the vehicle for and the maintmance done. I know there's people that have given the golden treatment and had the bad luck they go bas anyway as well as people who are abusively negligent to the border of extreme blissfullness and the thing is still running. It's all luck I guess, but at the price one pays it should be guaranteed and not a spin of the bottle.

Thanks for the word of wisdom there, very true

Quote Originally Posted by OdyFresh View Post
    I just checked out the website you mention...I think you got your info incorrectly about the transmission on the 2007...The worst year is 2005 (25) then 2006 (19) and finally 2007 (14)...Looks like according to this website 2008 ODY is the sweet spot (taking inconsideration pricing).
    Last edited by tC_demon; 02-26-2013 at 09:14 PM.
    2008 Acura TSX

So I guess is there any different between 07 tranny and 08 tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by MSU2000 View Post
    So I guess is there any different between 07 tranny and 08 tranny?
    Yes-one is in a 2007 Odyssey and the other in in a 2008 Odyssey! No, they are both the same exact transmission. Honda placed the transmission orginally designed for the Ridgeline truck in the Odyssey starting in 07. There may have been some initial problems with this new tranny in the 07s but from 08 on, it appears they worked out any bugs.
    08 EX Slate Green Metallic w/ Olive Interior
    09 Civic LX (wish it was an Si)
    07 Accord SE V6 AT MY car, I love it!
    02 Insight CVT (!!!) Wife flew to MS to get it from dealer. Don't ask me why. NO logical explanation.
    01 Insight CVT (RIP) Wife had MVC,totaled it. She is no longer in mourning

Quote Originally Posted by GeoOdyZantac View Post
    Yes-one is in a 2007 Odyssey and the other in in a 2008 Odyssey! No, they are both the same exact transmission. Honda placed the transmission orginally designed for the Ridgeline truck in the Odyssey starting in 07. There may have been some initial problems with this new tranny in the 07s but from 08 on, it appears they worked out any bugs.
    I was curious about that after reading the carcimplaints.com issues for 07 tranny but almost none on 08 model granted that the sampling number is different between no data

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements