Replace A/C Compressor vs. coil and clutch
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Replace A/C Compressor vs. coil and clutch

Replace A/C Compressor vs. coil and clutch

I determine I need to new AC compressor coil, reading open circuit on my wife's 2005 Ody. I've read a couple of posts and learned that you should replace the clutch while you're replacing the coil, which makes sense AND that it's a major PIA to do this while the compressor is still in the vehicle. After spending a fair amount of time under the car, I would have to agree with this assessment.

My question is, why not replace the entire compressor? The cost of coil and clutch is about $200 and the compressor is a wear item also, so why not just bite the bullet and pay $450 for an entire assembly. You won't have to worry about special tools for the clutch/pulley or shimming the clutch gap. I understand the down side you have to bleed your system and get it recharged, I haven't checked on pricing but it shouldn't be much. Heck, all I would need is someone to empty my system out to keep the EPA folks from knocking at my door and I could recharge it myself, I even have those fancy gages the pro's use.

Am I missing something? Do I need to be concerned with introducing humidity into my system, which is current about 99% in NC this year.

Please let me know if I'm smoking crack and what are the downside, besides the extra 200 smackers for a new compressor (vs. just coil and clutch).

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

cnn
    1- Coil is $40.

2- Clutch + Pulley = $140 at Honda.
    38900-RGM-505 is the PN for 2005-2007 models.
    If you have more than 100K, then replace this part as the bearing goes out.
    A cheaper alternative is an ebay seller who sells the same part for $95:
    2005 07 Honda Odyssey 3 5L V6 AC Compressor Clutch Pulley Hub New | eBay

The Denso compressor should last some 180K-200K.

So, if the only thing wrong is the stator, then replace the stator for $40 and move on, why waste money/time/effort with new compressor?

------
    All detail is in the DIY below:

05 Compressor clutch troubleshooting

PS: I have done the AC Clutch a few times now, and since I have the procedure down pretty well, I can do this whole thing in 1 hour!
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

Thanks cnn for the information.

I read that troubleshooting post earlier this week, that post along with that little screw on top of the compressor dissuaded me from trying to remove the clutch/coil with the compressor still in the vehicle. You know the screw I’m referring to? The ground screw for the coil, located directly on top of the compressor with about 1mm of clearance.

How the heck can that screw be removed without removing the entire compressor? I wouldn’t expect there to me that much flex in the compressor tube since they’re not rubber.

cnn
    That Phillips screw is for the ground wire.
    You don't have to change the wiring (when you buy the Stator from dealer it comes with the wiring, the Stator from Airparts does not come with wiring). Many mechanics just keep the wiring, no need to replace it.

My wiring is still factory.
    cnn: 2007 Odyssey LX

6. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements