Changing Power steering pressure hose. - Page 2
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing Power steering pressure hose.

Quote Originally Posted by pappy View Post
    2005 Odyssey, 155k miles . Power steering high pressure hose leaked.Bought honda replacement hose why? plug and play bushings in the right places. Tough part was loosening the flare nut by the rack. Used a crow foot flare nut wrench 14mm with a 3/8 rachet from left top of engine. used PB blaster and alot of elbow grease. Make sure to release electrical connector from the pressure sensor on the hose remove two bottom brackets and top rubber portion bracket, remove the two bolts attached to the powersteering pump. 10mm bolts. Took out old hose from top of engine, it was a liitle difficult. Transferred old pressure sensor to new hose,remember to buy new o -ring for the sensor. Tried to put in the new hose from top of ngine the way it came out! Oh what an ordeal,could not do it and hose almost got entangled in the rear engine tubes and pipes! Frustrated ,I tried from the bottom right of engine first in went the pipe to the rack and then wiggled
    the rubber portion to the top to the pump in ten minutes no tangles! Reconnected hose ends and brackets . Whole job was about 7 hours!
    Use oem hose , tough to loosen flare nut to rack and replace new hose from bottom right of engine.
    I remove the 14 mm flare nut from the underneath. It was the thoughest part too but it was doable maybe sinceI have thin arm... 7 hours, did you count the time for tool shopping

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I have a 2006 Odyssey EX-L (170,000 miles) with a slow drip on my pressure hose leaving the pump where the rubber hose is crimped onto the tubing. Bought a replacement hose for just under $100 from Advance Auto and tackled this the day after Christmas. The aftermarket hose doesn't have the mounting bushings to attach it to the cross member, but the factory ones are split and easily transferred to the new one. Absolutely worst part was getting the flare nut off the rack and pinion housing. I tried various 14 mm wrenches including a crow's foot flare nut wrench (cheap Harbor Freight one simply spread open), so I had to cut the tubing off at the nut. Then using a 14mm 6-point socket on a 1/2" ratchet, it spun right off. I pushed the new hose down from the top and it magically lined up with no issues. Took about 15 minutes of wiggling the tubing and turning the nut to get it engaged, but went pretty smooth from there. Was able to tighten it up enough from above using a 14mm flare nut wrench, All in about 3 hours with half of that trying to get the flare nut off.

I will tackle this same problem, initially I thought that the car was leaking engine oil. Will order the hose from Rockauto (either Gates or Edelmann) and replace the hose when the new one gets here. I found this youtube video of the exact process, seemed pretty helpful so I'll share it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

ok, tackling this today. the flare nut at the bottom is a beast to take off, so far no luck. as an alternate, has anyone tried to cut the old hose at the top, and splice the new end to it with a metal tube and hose clamps? would that do the trick (even tho somewhat jimmy-rigged), or is there too much pressure in that line?

I'm pretty sure hose clamps would not contain the fluid pressure.

IIRC, someone removed the pesky flare nut by cutting off the tube and then using a socket to remove it.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

I know this is a very old thread. Hopefully someone can help. I will be replacing the power steering pump and high and low pressure hoses as well as the reservoir over the next week. As part of this I want to install an inline filter. On the material that comes with the filter it mentions it needs to be installed on the return hose coming from the steering gear to the pump... (the only hose I see coming from the gear to the pump is the high pressure hose?) I put a pic of the hose I think it would be. And the direction I would think that the flow would be. Is this where I need to splice the line? Mine is an 07' Odyssey. 3.5L V6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Changing Power steering pressure hose.-20161028_140751.jpg Changing Power steering pressure hose.-screenshot_20161028-140735.jpg

Thre ps reservoir has a filtering screen, adding another filter may cause slower flow and less power in steering.
    2005 EXL

That's interesting. Even the aftermarket reservoirs? Seems like I saw a recommendation for an inline filter in several other posts and I think I might have seen that on RockAuto also... Either way. Do you know which is the return line? Lol.

The return line is the upper hose going into the power steering reservoir. Follow that back to wherever you're looking to install the filter.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

So, that's the smaller hose then. So if the directions say to install it "towards" the power steering pump. I would imagine that would mean heading AWAY from the reservoir. It's weird the directions on this are so odd. I mean you can not splice into the hose going from the gear into the pump because that is the high pressure hose. <rolling my eyes right now>. Thanks for clarifying which hose it is.
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 200K
    Services I've done; timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, various tensioners, drive belt, oil changes, transmission fluid change, still going....

Quote Originally Posted by Jcnbama View Post
    So if the directions say to install it "towards" the power steering pump. I would imagine that would mean heading AWAY from the reservoir.
    I think you have it figured out, but anyway that's right - PS fluid flows from the reservoir to the pump. The filter goes in the same direction as the flow.

That short tube is the flex point between the moving engine and the fixed reservoir. I'm not sure that adding the filter in that tube will continue to provide the needed flexibility. Maybe a better location would be in the return line between the rack and the reservoir. There's no movement there.

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Do you think I'll really need a pulley tool for an 07'? It seems like most people just loosen the pulley bolt on the power steering pump with the belt still on or they put a screwdriver in there to hold it in place. Can you tighten the bolt without the tool?
    2007 Honda Odyssey Touring 200K
    Services I've done; timing belt, spark plugs, water pump, thermostat, various tensioners, drive belt, oil changes, transmission fluid change, still going....

If you have an impact gun you can zip it right off. Personally, I'd just torque it back down after the belt is on and it's easier to hold.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

I replaced the pressure hose in our 2005 EXL-T just last weekend. Took a bit longer than I was expecting but it's done. After about 15 minutes of fighting I cut off the old line right next to the 14mm flare nut and used a 14mm socket to remove the nut. There is decent access from the top of the engine once the intake box is removed. Installed new PS reservoir and the upgraded PS pump while I was at it. I used a cordless impact gun to remove the PS pulley nut - came off without any issue and the pulley itself came right off.
    The only problem - broke the "nut" attached to the tensioner used to loosen the serpentine belt while putting on a new belt. Ended up reusing the old one as it was much easier to put on by then. Will have to get new serpentine belt tensioner one of days when replacing the timing belt and water pump.

Where's the leak?

I'm about to tackle my 05 EXL. I had a massive leak in the left front and I'm wondering if it's even this hose.(yes it's PS fluid for sure) It seems there may be a few others hoses in the flow other than the PS coolant hose that runs along the front and the long one from the pump?) Regardless I do see some leakage on the PS hose at the top near the pump itself. Thanks for any info on where else it may leaking. All I've done so far is remove the splash guard under the front and saw it was very wet)

Thank you, Andy

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast