Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Passenger Airbag OFF light

22K views 2 replies 1 participant last post by  alexmish 
#1 ·
Hi, new member here. Thanks to everyone for all of the great advice and ideas I've been enjoying for several weeks now.

I have an '05 EX-L RES with about 900 miles on it. I'm wondering about the operation of the passenger airbag light (the one just above the hazard button). When a passenger weighing about 130 pounds is sitting in this seat and I start the engine, the light comes on for a few seconds, supposedly indicating that the airbag is OFF, then it goes out again. It does the exact same thing with no one sitting in the seat.

The owner's manual states that the airbag will be disabled when the sensors detect either no passenger or one who weighs less than approximately 65 pounds. Because I can see no difference in the behavior of this indicator light regardless of whether the seat is occupied, I'm wondering if I need to have my van looked at or if this is normal.

Thanks in advance for your help.

--Rick F, San Antonio, Texas

G
#2 ·
I think the light coming on when you start up the engine is just an initialization check, like the rest of the warning lights in the dashboard.

When there is nobody in the seat, the airbag is supposed to deactivate, but the light does not come on.

When there is weight in the seat, but the airbag is deactivated due to low weight or something, the light comes on. I've seen this when I've leaned on the passenger seat to reach into the glovebox.

So if you had someone in the seat, I don't know if I'd necessarily worry unless the lamp came on and stayed on while you were driving.

*shrug* Just my guess tho'.

--> Andy

G
#3 ·
The light must come on and then go off to indicate it is operational. Also, if there is "something" in the passenger's seat, which is up to 65 lbs, the light will remain on indicating that the airbag has been disabled.

Standard safety procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.