Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Noise from 2008 Odyssey Touring

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kaimanson 
#1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 2008 Odyssey Touring and noticed it makes a fairly loud whirring noise when driving -- getting louder and more pronounced as the car increases speed. The dealer says this is because of brand new tires and should go away after a couple hundred miles but I've never heard of such a thing with any other car I've owned... although I've never owned a car with these fancy Pax run-flat tires. I'm worried it could be a transmission noise or maybe a wheel bearing or some other front end component.

Do these vehicles typically sound "louder" with brand new tires?? I've test driven a few other Odysseys with well used tires and they were far quieter than this one, but this one is in overall nicer looking condition and is a Touring while the others were EX-L.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Do you have your own mechanic who can drive it for you? We took the 06 we just bought to our guy and got his approval before we started negotiating.

#3 ·
Tires can me a different, but it depend where the noise is coming from. It could even be a wheel bearing, usually wheel bearings make noise within an specific speed. (ex.40 to 50). How many miles does it have? how much are they selling it for?

#4 ·
It has 73k and they're asking $19,900. They called back today and said they fixed
the noise but didn't say what was the cause. Unfortunately I don't really have a trusted mechanic here, but
I could try a AAA approved prepurchase inspection. Going to check out a different one tomorrow and might circle back to this one if it doesn't pan out.

Ive owned a lot of cars over the years and this certainly didn't sound like tire noise... Unless they are some seriously messed up tires. It did remind me of some front end noise in my current car that was eliminated after dumping $2K into front end work including wheel bearings, control arms, struts and CV axels.

#6 ·
Hey mikemsd, what happened with the van?..sorry for the slow replay..got twins two months ago...not joke ZzZzzzzz they keep u up the whole day. Man 73k for almost 20k is a bit high. We got a 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L Res/Nav with 63k miles on it. Inside and Out was clean as a brand new car. Amazing! we pay 18k out of the door. I would understand that it is a "Touring" but almost $ 2k more plus 10k more miles. Off course sometime prices depend on where u live.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.