Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Anyone here has not completed the exchange/recall for the fuel pump

37K views 79 replies 32 participants last post by  jackrabbit000 
#1 · (Edited)
Just want to see because I am still hesitant considering more problems may occur after.

Had a recall done on my power steering pump which was totally fine but ended up with a significantly noisy pump when the dealer replaced it under warranty. It eventually got replaced again but it was a hassle to include having Honda of America involved. Or in other words, a lot of my time were wasted.

I'm sure that most if not all have not received any notices anyways.

I believe this applies to ALL 2005-2010 models.

#6 ·
Recall done 2 weeks ago. No problems.

#11 ·
The cover that gets replaced is actually the fuel filter, so I'd bring it in! Either they look, see no leaks, and button everything back up unmolested, or they see a leak and replace the fuel filter (the cover you see is the top of the fuel filter housing - the pump lives in sort of a pod that connects onto the filter housing). We haven't brought ours in, but I replaced the filter shortly before the recall came about, so I need to send in the receipt for the part.

#15 ·
Recall is to replace cover and gasket. Nothing else chief.
Here's a thought - why not look at the actual parts being replaced before trying to correct someone. Here's a clue for you - there is no cover. When you look at the "cover" what you are looking at is the top of the fuel filter assembly. It doesn't come apart without destroying it. The filter set comes with a new gasket and retaining ring. You remove the old one, disconnect the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, etc. from it, transfer them over to the new one, then re-install. The FILTER SET is what is replaced. There is no separate "cover" to be replaced. There is the coarse filter (the sock) down by the fuel pump, but that stays with the pump.

So yes, the fuel filter is replaced, not some imaginary cover.

Attachments

#14 ·
Had mine done last week when I brought my Ody to my dealer for its scheduled maintenance. They opened my record and saw that the recall hasn't been done. Authorized the recall fix which like what others have said has nothing to do with the fuel pump itself, just the covers. No impact whatsoever on the performance even until now.

I'd say just get it done and be over with it.

#20 ·
Had an issue after having it replaced by the dealer about a week ago. Car stalled and sputtered to a halt after my wife drove it, just down the street from our house. Long story short, and after having it towed to the dealer, found out that after buttoning it all up, they somehow messed up the float to correctly indicate how much gas was in the car. They found out the hard way too. They drove it about to try and recreate the issue and they had to have it towed back too. They fixed it at no charge, but it cost me two days with shuttling kids and spouse everywhere and $80 in towing expense they did not offer to pay for. Glad it wasn't worse though.

#21 ·
I haven't received the official recall in the mail. I got something earlier that said the recall was coming and they'd let me know when the parts were "ready"

My dealer did the "inspection" part back in May or thereabouts when I had the van in to get new sliding door rollers and PS pump under warranty.

#23 ·
We had this recall and the brake issue done at the end of July. Had issues with both. A strong fuel smell stayed in the car from when we picked it up on a Friday till late Saturday, but only because we left all the windows open on the car and aired it out. Also, we now had very soft brakes where before our brakes were fine... We also found a piece of chewed gum in the car.

I took the car back the following Tuesday. They couldn't find a problem with the fuel filter, and I assume they just spilled fuel with they did the change.

As far as the brakes, they had to keep the car for two days while they changed the master brake cylinder. The second time we had it in, we also had them change the driver's seat belt, as it had started to fray.

They finally got everything fixed and we picked the van up on the next Thursday... I'm glad school wasn't in session yet, as that would have been a huge hassle. We won't be returning to that dealer, and now I am really reluctant to even have anything fixed. I usually do all my own maintenance.

We've just gotten back from a 2200+ mile road trip, so everything is working correctly now.

#24 ·
I usually do all my own maintenance.
The only way to go whenever possible. I don't expect people to be perfect when they work on my stuff but when I do it myself I get both the satisfaction of doing it and the peace of mind knowing that I did it the way that I think is right.

Glad your trip went well and the Ody didn't let you down.

#29 ·
#30 · (Edited)
Okay, two things. Turns out that there is a fuel pump access panel inside the Ody and an involved process of removing the fuel tank is not necessary, so not a big deal after all. Just the hassle of taking it in, waiting, and seeing if there are any complications or if they tear your Ody up and make it smell like gas forever.

DrD is correct, a "cover" or the entire fuel pump, is not replaced and the part that is replaced is the filter only. The filter also happens to be the top of the fuel pump assembly or what some are calling the "cover." To replace the filter assembly, the entire fuel pump must be removed and the filter disconnected from the pump and replaced. Original pump is reused. Details are posted earlier in the TSB.

Service Bulletin 14-032 July 25, 2014

"NOTE: Vehicles that were repaired under Service Bulletin 14-015, Safety Recall: Odyssey Fuel Smell or Leak, must still be repaired under this bulletin to make sure the improved fuel filter set is installed."

"Honda KIT, FUEL STRAINER" Honda SKU: 06177-SHJ-305 Your Price $37.24 06177-SHJ-305: Fuel Filter Set (includes fuel filter set, subharness, retainer, three O-rings, backup ring, clip, locknut, and base gasket)

For the price ($40), some may choose to do the job themselves. Others who have Ody's with high mileage, and the fuel smell from the cracked filter housing, may choose to replace the entire fuel pump assembly (which includes the filter) as a preventative measure.

I replaced the filter shortly before the recall came about, so I need to send in the receipt for the part.
DrD, Do you know for a fact that you will be reimbursed?

#31 ·
that's what the letter says. I just need to actually send it in. For the last recall (replacing the seal in the master cylinder) mine had already failed and I had purchased and installed a new master and booster myself - when I sent in the receipt for those two parts, I was reimbursed 100%.

Note that the recall is just for the filter set, not the whole module (the whole module includes the fuel pressure regulator and the fuel pump)

#33 ·
So I would like thoughts on this......

Assuming I am not having the "fuel smell" should I just wait to do the recall work at the dealer? I mean the recall never "expires" right? I'm balancing the risk that the dealer rushes or screws up something else vs. the risk that I am actually one of the few that really ends up having a problem with the recall part in the first place.

So if I just do "watchful waiting" at this point but I get the smell 2 years from now, I should be able to go to the dealer and say "hey you never did the recall work so please do it now" is that right?

Is there a safety issue here that would come on quickly without me first smelling gas smell for weeks or months?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.