Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Any use Quick Lube transmission service for full flush?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  otto888man 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 EXL I want to switch to full synthetic Tranny fluid. I dont have all the tools at home and for 149 at the Valvoline Quick Lube place they flush torque converter and all.

Has anyone done this and what has been your experience?

#2 ·
No way would I use a quick change joint or one of their power lube machines.

Just do the following three times in a row, driving it around the block a couple times each time:
1. Bring transmission up to operating temperature by driving the vehicle.

2. Park the vehicle on level ground, and turn the engine off

3. Remove ATF filler bolt and the drain plug, and drain the automatic transmission fluid.

4. re-install the drain plug with a new sealing washer.

5. Refill the transmission with the recommended fluid into the filler hole to the upper mark on the dipstick.

6. Install the ATF filler bolt with a new sealing washer and install filler bolt.

Torque for drain plug: 36lb-ft
Torque for filler bolt: 33 lb-ft.

#6 ·
if you are not able/willing to do the work yourself, your choices are somewhat limited. The new Honda ATF DW1 is synthetic (or at least some part of it). Honda's recommended procedure for servicing the fluid is to what Parmm described above, i.e. drain and refill multiple times.
In order to completely replace the fluid, you would have to disconnect return line out of transmission and drain it out that way. You minimize mixing
of old and new this way. This is not the description of the entire procedure, but one aspect of it.
At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with Honda's recommended procedure. There are multiple threads with exact technical details on how
to service the transmission.
Stay away from quick lube places, or anything that indicates that the service will take less than the time it takes to actually drain oil.
That leaves Dealer and independent shops.

#10 ·
What I mean by drain an fill is you get rid of all 9 ? quarts of old fluid , an put your new red line sync into the tranny in one shot , If that's what you want go to you tube . I have done it twice so far over a three year period and it works . But I do not know if that will save your tranny , check out all the threads on this site , theres a lot to learn about these tannsmissions

#13 ·
rdrx7 - The reason a flush is not recommended on a transmission is because many of these machines will forcefully push fluid into the transmission. In the process, chunks of debris can be dislodged and possibly block narrow channels or one-way valves inside the transmission. If this was to happen to your vehicle after doing such a flush, your fix is a new transmission. Additionally, going anywhere other than Honda, you will risk of them putting in the wrong fluid. You should use only Honda fluid DW1 which is synthetic. Drain and fill is what Honda recommends.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.