Power steering fluid fell in engine bay
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power steering fluid fell in engine bay

Power steering fluid fell in engine bay

Hey guys,

I just did a power steering fluid and reservoir change on my odyssey. When i was unhooking the lines, Power steering fluid all over my chassis and body in the engine bay (yes there was a catch pan, but got messy some how) Thank God it didnt pour on the belts, lol

Can i use brake cleaner to clean it off? If not what can i use to clean it off.

I have the CRC Brakleen chlorine-free cleaner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

This brake cleaner (and most others) is not compatible with rubber, so I would skip that.

How about an engine cleaner, such as Gunk? http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-eng...er/254732_0_0/

Dave
    2002 Odyssey EX Fern (Granite) Green
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    This brake cleaner (and most others) is not compatible with rubber, so I would skip that.

How about an engine cleaner, such as Gunk? http://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-eng...er/254732_0_0/

Dave
    If i use that, do i have to rinse it off with water? i really dont want to use water in the engine bay

Thanks

Yes, you would rinse it off with water.

Are you concerned about water messing up an electrical connection? If so, it's a valid concern. Definitely don't use a pressure washer. Also, don't use a nozzle. Just a gentle stream.

I assume the spilled PS fluid is mostly around the frame and lower engine bay area? There's less risk down there than higher up.

Dave
    Honda hood protector, stainless steel flex brake lines, Honda block heater, AC condenser screen, Zymol wax
    141,000 miles/227,000 kilometres; original transmission; Amsoil MV ATF since 79,000 miles/127,000 kilometres; Magnefine aux ATF filter; Honda aux ATF cooler; 18 drain and fills

Quote Originally Posted by davedrivesody View Post
    Yes, you would rinse it off with water.

Are you concerned about water messing up an electrical connection? If so, it's a valid concern. Definitely don't use a pressure washer. Also, don't use a nozzle. Just a gentle stream.

I assume the spilled PS fluid is mostly around the frame and lower engine bay area? There's less risk down there than higher up.

Dave

Ill try to wipe up as much of oil i can reach, then next time when get the van serviced tell them to clean the rest. Will the spilled fluid eat the paint or cause problems?

Thanks

PS fluid is an oil and so it's not immediately corrosive to paint, unlike brake fluid or antifreeze. Over time it may soften the paint though.

Maybe spray it with Simple Green? That will dissolve the PS fluid then what's left will eventually dry up.

Dave

power steering fluid is flammable so definitely watch out for that. I've also noticed that it eats up pulleys so get it clean asap. I had a small leak and it ruined my pulleys.
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L Sage Brush Pearl/Olive|176,000 miles as of Dec '15
    rebuilt transmission @ 125k
    2011 Honda CR-V EX-L+Navi
    2003 BMW 325i
    2015 BMW i3 REx

If someone is looking for a cap to put on the power steering reservoir when doing the flush, (and not spill fluid all over your engine bay lol) i made a video with stuff you should have laying around the garage

Good idea. Luckily I saved the caps from the external AT cooler install. It came with caps on the 3/8 bibs. I saved those and just happen to come handy for the PS fluid reservoir. Unintentional benefit, now another useful tool.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe

11. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread