sunroof leak
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: sunroof leak

sunroof leak

We went through a car wash last evening and a minimal amount of water came in around the sunroof. Is there an adjustment I can do or do I need to have the dealer correct the problem?

Touring Odyssey
    VJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

alexmish
    This is normal, especially if they use jet streams to rinse the car. The seal around the sunroof is design to hold only up to some amount of water pressure. That is why there are water channels around the inside of the sunroof, with 2 drainage pipes.

EDIT: You might want to check if the sunroof's glass is flush and aligned to the roof.

jbs
    Yeah, we've seen the same under the high pressure jet rinse in our car wash. I usually just try to remember to close the inner lid of the sun roof before the rinse cycle.

To alexmish's point, no rain storm is ever going to hit your roof with the force of a high-pressure water jet at 2-foot range. (at least let's HOPE not!!)

--Jason
    Thrilled owner of an '05 Touring, DVD/NAV - Silver and Gray<BR>
    <font size="2"><font color="Red"><A HREF="http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21134">Our purchase story</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF="http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21816">Light for your console</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21588">Mod for MP3 player connection</A>&nbsp;&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22358">How to Post a Picture in these Forums!</A>&nbsp;&nbsp;</font/></font>

Help... I just went through a car wash in my brand new Odyssey (100 miles), and boy did we have a leak... Went home, and cuased the same issue with my garden hose (but nearly not as much)... I checked and the glass, seal are flush with the roof...

I had water dripping from the front of the headliner onto my wife sitting in the passenger seat... This can't be normal is it? If there were drains, why drain on the front seat passenger???

What should i do? Any suggestions, before I call the dealer on Monday...

Frustrated with my $35K on something that leaks like this...

T
    Last edited by interfx; 07-23-2005 at 08:05 PM.

If you have a sunroof leak when going through a car wash I would definitely demand it be fixed. It might be as simple as a clogged drainage tube.

I've had four cars over the past 18 years, all with sunroofs, and none have EVER leaked, even in a car wash. I wouldn't accept it in my Ody for sure (haven't brought it through a car wash yet so I can't comment on how well mine holds up).

Best of luck!
    '11 Smoky Topaz Touring Elite
    '08 BMW E90 335i

'05 Midnight Blue Pearl EX-L w/RES & NAV (traded in for '11)

Have had mine through a touchless carwash and no problems. Sounds like something is wrong.

Originally posted by kph3
    Have had mine through a touchless carwash and no problems. Sounds like something is wrong.
    It is not normal for the moon roof to leak in to the cabin area even in a car wash.
    What does get past the seal should stay in the rain channels and then drain to the outside.
    Either there is a problem with the seal, the sunroof is not closed or not closing tight or one of the drains are clugged up.
    If you have water getting in to the cabin and you are sure that the moon roof is closed tight then you should see your dealer right away.
    2005 Ody EX-L OCEAN MIST BLUE 02/11/05 GoodSonOdy.com
    2002 CR-V Ex 4WD BLUE 03/12/02
    1965 Wife 03/31/00

I have had this same problem on a Chrysler T&C...I had hoped Honda would've solved this sort of thing...alas...

Anyway, on mine, it's the drains in the front corners. Apparently they clog with silt or whatever; and, to complicate things, as they make their way down the A pillar the pipes bend pretty tightly causing even more of a clog. My dealer has tried to correct the problem twice, pulling the headliner to survey the pipe runs...yadda yadda...and they still clog.

So, what I've taken to doing is periodically blowing my two front drains clear with a steam nozzle. With the glass open, you can poke your head up there and see the drain holes (I'd think the Honda would be similiar). Usually there's a bit of standing water, and when you get 'em clear, you can see the dripping water come out beneath the van...in the area of the front wheel wells.

Now my van sits outside almost all the time; and, I've been known to leave my roof open alot, letting leaves and misc. tree foliage gather, obviously adding to the problem...BUT, c'mon, this sort of thing shouldn't be a common occurance on a luxury level vehicle.
    No matter where you go, there you are.

10. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements