Rear license plate ligt bulbs?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rear license plate ligt bulbs?

Rear license plate ligt bulbs?

Does anyone know how to get access to the 2 bulbs? Does it require removing the rear tailgate panels? The manual does not have anything on this and one of my bulbs is blown. I was hoping to be able to change it myself. Thanks:>

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

bptan:

From pg 22-231, Factory Service Manual

1) Remove the license plate light and disconnect the connector from the light.

2) Remove the lens from the light, then replace the bulb (5W).

3) Install in reverse order.

There is no reference to any other page so it appears that it can be accessed from the exterior. No screws are shown so it must just pull out with light force. I applied light force to the black/gray plastic bulb housing on mine and it looks like it flexs. I would use my panel popper tools but, in the absence of having such tools, I would try a flat blade screwdriver (with tape over the end to prevent damaging the paint) and gently pry from one side. Good luck and provide an update please.
    HOOSIER DADDY! Go Big Red!

08 S2000 New Formula Red (cure for the minivan blues)
    05 EXL Sage Brush/Olive NAVI+RES - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads and Centric Premium Rotors - No Noise!!!
    98 Raisin Pearl Accord LX Sedan - Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads
    Excell 2600PSI Pressure Washer, powered by Honda

Previous rides:

94 DC T&C - another mercy buy (used)
    91 Camry V6 wagon - mercy buy (used)
    88 Accord LXI Sedan
    82 Accord LX 5-speed Hatchback
    77 Civic CVCC 5-speed Hatchback
    82 Honda HR21 Lawnmower

OK Lakersfan. Thanks.

Here is what I found out after tinkering with it for and hour. It was actually quite easy. You just need to know where to pry. At first, I was trying to pry the whole black/grey sorround, thinking they it was all one piece, but it's not.

The piece that you need to remove is the half CLEAR and half BLACK lens cover. To pop and slide each of the lens cover, use a screw driver (with tape) and insert it on the lower right side (right side of the bottom black half) of the lens cover. That is where the tab sits. Pry the screw driver to the right lightly and it will pop the lens cover down and which will allow you to slide it out. Then, you can replace the bulbs and put the cover back on.

I'm amazed that the ensclosure is actually not sealed. No wonder I blew a bulb. There was water inside the lens cover. Must have happened when I was washing the car and overspray got in there.

Well, hope this helps everyone else who comes across this problem.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help. I just swapped my stock bulbs with some white LED one i got from superbrightleds.com. Now it looks like the new Lexus IS license lights.

Originally posted by 05TouringAnt
    Thanks for the help. I just swapped my stock bulbs with some white LED one i got from superbrightleds.com. Now it looks like the new Lexus IS license lights.
    I was thinking of doing this to mine too! but I have a 2002, anyone know if the lens pops off in a similar fashion?
    02 odyEX, starlight silver, 69k
    1995 acura integra 102k

Registered User New Dad New Van's Avatar
    The plastic lens for the licence plate bulb replacement is removed by using a flat-tipped screwdriver covered by a shop towel on the right side of the lens. It should pop off where you can access the bulb. This is for the 1999-2004 model.
    2001 Odyssey LX
    2003 ACURA EL Touring

UNOFFICIAL 2001 ODYSSEY THREAD: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...664#post384664

Originally posted by New Dad New Van
    The plastic lens for the licence plate bulb replacement is removed by using a flat-tipped screwdriver covered by a shop towel on the right side of the lens. It should pop off where you can access the bulb. This is for the 1999-2004 model.
    cool thanks "new dad"
    02 odyEX, starlight silver, 69k
    1995 acura integra 102k

9. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements