Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Humming on the engine area

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DerbyDad03 
#1 ·
At 60 70- mph and on a cruise control mode , i notice and feel some humming or vibration coming from the engine or transmission area, but after a few second it goes off then comes again later. Anybody experienced this thing please help me diagnosed this one. BTW mine is an 05 honda odyssey exl and got a total mileage of 20800 already. Thanks and more power to the group.

#4 ·
Maybe the engine hums because it doesn't know the words.

Thank you! I'll be here all week.

But seriously folks...

Have you noticed whether or not the ECO light is coming on at the same time, or near the same time, as the hum/vibration? That would indicate that it is associated with the VCM engaging and may further indicate problems related to the rear motor mounts.

There are some members of this fine forum that have said that the ECO light and VCM engagement are not perfectly in sync, so you may not see a perfectly timed ECO light and hum/vibration incident. Rear motors mounts are listed as a casualty of the VCM system as they are asked to absorb the vibration caused by the unbalanced engine when in VCM mode. The mounts might be a good place to start looking in any case.

#5 ·
DerbyDad03 i think you're right in here, just brought my ody to a dealer and have them check my motor mounts and yes the rear is the worst one and needs replacement, but might as well replace the side mount and front one, also the 2 tranny mounts. This will cost me about$1500 but i think its worth it. Hope once this is done i can update my threads. Thanks to you guys for you replies. More power to the group.

#7 ·
By "deleting the vcm" I assume you mean "disabling the VCM".

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/234113-vcm-better-way-disable.html

A resistor is required. You can DIY your "disabler" or purchase one ready made.

Note: The thread itself wasn't related to "vibration" per se. It was really about a device designed to disable the VCM system, thus eliminating all of the annoying symptoms of said system, one of them being vibration. Thus the reason I asked whether or not the ECO light and the humming/vibration were coincident.

Note 2: To more accurate, the resistor doesn't really "disable" the VCM system. It merely fools the ECU (computer) into thinking that the engine coolant is below the threshold temperature for VCM to engage. As many have noted - including myself - even with the resistor installed, there are conditions under which the VCM will still engage since it isn't actually "disabled". I guess you could say it is "delayed" as opposed to "disabled" since the system won't engage until the coolant temperature is higher than the Honda engineers intended.

#8 ·
Rear engine mount but the vehicle requires a comprehensive inspection because i'd rather have someone who is comprehensive rather than someone who "just fixes what you talk about" At that mileage you are due for inspection anyway, what part of CA are you in?

DerbyDad03 i think you're right in here, just brought my ody to a dealer and have them check my motor mounts and yes the rear is the worst one and needs replacement, but might as well replace the side mount and front one, also the 2 tranny mounts. This will cost me about$1500 but i think its worth it. Hope once this is done i can update my threads. Thanks to you guys for you replies. More power to the group.
At dealer that's about right but still, a bit high in quotation, we've done them about 900 here

#9 ·
At dealer that's about right but still, a bit high in quotation, we've done them about 900 here
I wonder if my AAA Plus membership would cover a tow from Western NY to Huntington Beach. I like your prices. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.