Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Time for a new ODY? 105k and needs work

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Hogan773 
#1 ·
I have a 09 with 105k and am trying to figure out if its time to trade in. Here is what it needs:

Timing chain, water pump, valve inspection: 900
Tranny? Shudder at 40mp: 4k
Tires: 600
Right Front Axel: 400
Total: almost 6k

My wife is fine with driving it and paying for the fixes, but I have a hard time shelling out 6k for a van that is only worth 10k. What do you all think?

#2 ·
If the shudder is not because of tranny, then it is ok. All the others are within range to keep an old car.

Also axel and TB work, get a quote from an Indy. It should be cheaper. I think like 1.5k (excluding tires), you can make it in good shape (including spark plugs and filters etc)

#3 · (Edited)
+1. 105k is nothing but it depends on your preferences. Some people do not keep cars over 100k esp even requires normal wear work.

TB - normal at that mileage, tires - normal and depends on your use + drive habits, axle - wear + road conditions.

Typical case:
Had a friend that wore out his brakes to the metal, did not want to do the TB work (same as above), tires were needing replacement, shocks were almost shot. He did maintain his interior/exterior (wash every 2 wks, armor-all interior), and engine. Everything else procrastinated. Complains about almost everything and debates. At the end, he traded it in for a new one and justified at as it only cost me 5000 more on the long run getting this car ... ie, depreciation/repairs/etc. He does have new payments on his car now (justified as all cars have payments). This was his daily driver so it does put miles but at least he gets current features. Now to continue, his wife wanted to keep her honda suv (which was older than his car to start with). It needed some work (like mounts indy mech quoted $700 and trans flush). It was a Pilot, same as our Ody and better cond than our Ody. He wanted to trade that in as well. Finally they did trade it in for another recent used suv. Thats two cars that were paid off, now have two new payments. One new car and one new pre-owned suv in the driveway.

His further justification was that since I knew some things about cars and I diy, I would want to keep it but in his case he had to buy tools (even to do oil change etc). This was part of the debate process.

So, it would be the same here. We might suggest keeping it with little work, but it depends on your budget and preferences. By the way, I have a 01. I would love to get rid of it and get a newer one, but this runs great. It might need more work then this gen. I did do TB, got tires, did brakes, front end suspension over spread over time. Great daily use.

Good luck.

#5 ·
I also got my trans replaced at about 117k I think. It was $1100. That was 2 yrs ago. I would have kept it without replace longer but there are some hills we need to climb when we go to relatives etc so did not want to have to tow at the least expected time.

#7 ·
Need another opinion and a less expensive option on the trans, but I'll bet a 4X drain and fill fixes it.

Keep in mind that unless you keep the trans issue to yourself and the dealer misses it you are out the $$$ regardless. The vans trade in value is greatly reduced with its current issues, so trading it is not really less expensive than fixing it. But if what you really want is to get something new then use it as an excuse. My 166K '07 is totally up to date and probably costing me about $1K a year in depreciation, while a new one would cost me $5K or more per year the first few. The '07+ models are good for 300K+ miles if you take care of them.

#8 ·
They are good for at least 500,000 miles if well maintained. I had a 91 Mazda 626LX that went 345,000 miles with only 1 major hit to the wallet before I donated it to Goodwill, it was the transmission at 95,000K the heavy footed wife who gunned it. After I got it , never a major problem. The way you drive a car has a major impact on transmission problems as well as routine maintenance.

#9 ·
Re the trans, if you have had all of the maintenance done at the dealer, then Honda might help you out a lot with a replacement for goodwill purposes. Might be worth a small fight to see what they will do, if you would keep it with the replaced trans.

The decision to trade really depends on your finances. We traded our 2004 at seven years old and 105k miles. Just wanted an upgrade and had skipped a generation. They are offering some pretty sweet deals now.

#12 ·
I don't know for sure, but IMO, that'd be a great place to start. And you can do that for less than $30 for each drain and fill, if you do it yourself.

#11 ·
Are you sure the transmission is dead? There are lots of things that can lead to a shudder external to the transmission. Other stuff sounds like pretty normal wear and tear. If you can DIY, you can save a ton of $ on the timing belt and axle. (also, installed cost for a good remanufactured transmission is usually in the $3200-3500 range, so shop around if you decide to go that route)

We have an 05 with 210k on it - engine is still strong, but normal wear and tear things have had to be replaced.

#14 ·
I concur with the others here who recommend the tranny fluid change out and use a synthetic ATF. My '09 Ody EX now has 127,850 on the odometer. Since out of warranty I have been regularly changing the ATF with Mobil 1; and since I started doing that it has shifted better and smoother and continues to perform great. Do it!

If you really like the Ody then make the needed maintenance item repairs and keep it. It should serve you for another 100,000 miles easily. Go all synthetic fluids where possible for best results. You will reap the benefits!

What ever vehicle you drive it pays to perform regular maintenance. Happy Driving!

#15 ·
Your whole case to trade this in is based on the "Tranny? Shudder...$4K" line.......

That seems pretty suspect to me

If the fluid hasn't been changed, you should change it

Most Ody trannys should last for more than 117K miles....especially on the 07+ which has the beefier Ridgeline trans

People get so afraid of spending money on a car....but what are you gonna do? You gonna buy a new $35K Odyssey and trade in your $10K? You'll be forking over $25K to avoid a couple thousand of required maintenance. Yes it feels bad to spend a few thousand on a car "that is only worth $10K" but that isn't the point. If a few thousand can make your car last another 4 or 5 years, you will have spent FAR MORE than that as your brand new $35K depreciates.....that is real money too.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.