Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Codes and lights

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  cozmohoot 
#1 ·
So, I hit a deer two weeks ago and just got my van repaired and back from the shop yesterday.

Sitting idle and the VSA light came on as well as the check engine light. Put in reverse to back up and sounded like it was running slightly rough. Parked cut off and got back in the road about 5 min later. VSA light was off but the check engine light remained on. Ran by advance auto and got 3 codes. Two I can't find online so he may have given me then wrong. They are 831, P16c4, P2647.
I'm so frustrated and feel like I have put more money into this car than it's worth. I do have heavy vibration at 60 and under acceleration and was told its my axles. 2 days later hit a deer so needless to say I will have the same axles and haven't gotten a chance to replace those.

#2 · (Edited)
First, what year and model is your vehicle and how many miles on it? Hard to do much without that.

The P16c4 and P2647 are actual codes.

Here's some info on the P2647 code. P2647 = "A rocker arm actuator stuck on Bank 1" Googling the problem says that may need to be addressed by the dealer with a reflash of the computer but that changing the oil and filter is a good place to start if you haven't done that recently. Since the car has been recently repaired, I'd start by checking all the electrical connections at the rocker arm actuators which I think (I could be wrong on this as I don't have my FSM with me,) on VCM engines, are on the left side of the valve covers, next to the camshaft gear/upper timing covers. If everything looks good there then change the oil and filter. If those don't solve it then head to the dealer on that one.

The P16c4 code is an engine mount code which means "Engine mount actuator control power circuit stuck off." Sounds like a bad active engine mount. That would likely explain the vibration you're feelling at 60. Those are really expensive, too.

Edit: Since the car just came out of the shop, make sure the engine mounts' wiring harnesses are plugged in. Did you have this vibration at 60 before the deer incident? If not, then it's possible the mounts got damaged in the accident and they should have been replaced by insurance.

I'm not sure what the "831" code is they're referring to. You might go back and have that one double-checked.

#3 ·
Sorry I was doing that via cell phone. Its a 2006 EX-L with 180k on it.

I just pulled it all at work and heres what it says:

P2647
Chheck for faulty VVT pressure switch or loose or damaged wiring
1. ROcker arm oil pressure swith circuit high voltage 2. VTEC system stuck on rocker arm oil pressure switch circuit high voltage 3. variable cylinder management system stuck on 4. vtec oil pressure switch high voltage

EDIT: vibration was there prior to deer accident. Its been doing it for a while now and no shop as narrowed down the problem.

#7 ·
So any code reader will almost certainly clear a code. One is not better than another for this purpose.

However, be aware than if you clear a code and drive to the inspection place, they will not do the emission test, because clearing codes forces the OBDII system into transmitting a "not ready" until the system does another self-check after a few hours of driving.

#6 ·
I don't have any experience with the cheap ones. I use an Innova that I've had for four or five years and shows live data.

The problem with just clearing the code before inspection is that the inspection can't be done until the readiness monitors indicate complete. Each system must complete it's diagnostic routine in order for its readiness monitor to indicate good. If you have a problem then the code will likely come back as soon as that diagnostic system completes its routine.

Bottom line, you can't just clear the code a block from the inspection site and expect to pass. In order to set each readiness monitor you have to go through the entire drive cycle for that vehicle which consists of various speeds and driving conditions over a period of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.