Honda Odyssey Forum banner

VCMuzzler and Non-ACM Mounts

33K views 81 replies 25 participants last post by  Peter T. 
#1 · (Edited)
I am in the unfortunate position of yet again having to replace my front and rear mounts on my 2005 EX-L. Granted, last time I put aftermarket mounts on, but I didn't want to pay $450/mount.

I now have 142k on the van and just put $900 in the front suspension, so I don't really want to put another $900 + labor in the van. My plan is to buy the cheaper aftermarket mounts and deal with them, hoping they last longer now that I have a VCMuzzler.

But that brings a question: has anyone tried putting the Honda OEM Non-ACM mounts (front/rear) on their EX-L/Touring models since adding their VCMuzzler? The VCM hardly ever engages and when it does, it's not very long--even in the 110+ temps of Phoenix (thanks the the 120 ohm resistor).

In the rare times it does go off, would it cause much problems if the Non-ACM mounts were holding down the engine?

#2 ·
I am interested in this too. I have the muzzler too and have put some westar aftermarket mounts all around. 4 weeks later the rear mount was horrible so replaced with Beck Arnley and it was a huge difference. My front is all crapped out i can tell with the vibration so i am curious too if i can put a honda non Touring on since they want SO much $$$ for it. Maybe the holes dont line up? anyone compared? outside the vcm tecehnology is there any difference in the engine or setup?

#4 ·
My suspicion, and it's just a guess, is that when the VCM did kick in you'd definitely not like the results. Additionally, the active motor mounts are monitored by the computer and you will get a CEL if you disconnect the wiring harnesses from the mounts.

#5 ·
yeah but we are talking about those of us wtih muzzlers and dont have the VCM kicking in and no CEL. Is the regular LX grade front mount of good quality to prevent excessive vibration? Will it fit ? I would think so because i doubt they would have that many parts different - the efficiencies of cost / manufacturing would be out the window.

#6 ·
John Clark .. i am in Matthews. Most likely i will be experimenting by trying to do this come the next couple of months. If successful i will definitely report back here but was hoping to find someone else who has done it already and had successful results. Not sure if you have changed yours or not.. happy to lend anything i have learned while doing these.

#7 ·
Mine still kicks in briefly once in a while during the summer (I'm using the 82ohm) so it's possible to still have it kick in now and then.

I'm pretty sure you will get a CEL as soon as you unplug the harness from the old active mount. If the mount fits you'll be driving around with a CEL for an engine mount problem.

#9 ·
I planned on putting my Ody up on jacks today and unplug both the front and rear mounts, but life...

I hope to do it this week and I'll report back if the CEL comes on. If not, the next step is for one of is to try the OEM LX/EX mounts and try them out.

FWIW, I ordered the front/rear Anchor ACM mounts from Rock Auto. They were cheap enough I figured I'd give them a shot. Anyone have experience with Anchor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I don't have ACM, I've got an '09 LX (regular mounts), so I'm talking out my arse...but...is there any way to leave the electronics of an active mount connected with a regular mount installed? eg. remove the electronics from the mount and just leave those bolted up somewhere? The ECM gets the satisfaction of having something to 'control', you get the satisfaction of knowing you probably won't have to replace another mount for X years.

#11 ·
That's not a bad idea. I'm just wondering if they're still essentially the same mounts, with the exception of the electronic controls. And I'm concerned about what will happen in the rare case VCM does briefly activate.

#14 ·
I really have trouble thinking this is a good idea. As long as VCM doesn't engage it's probably fine. However, if the engine does get warm enough for VCM to engage you're probably going to feel a pretty good vibration. I suppose nobody will know until someone tries it, though.

#16 ·
(Again, I don't have VCM, so I'm talking out my arse)
I would think that any vibration that might be felt by having non-ACM mounts wouldn't be any worse than having rotten ACM mounts in there. Maybe possibly wear out non-ACM mounts faster than the ACM mounts???
Are the non-ACM mounts that much cheaper than ACM mounts?

#18 ·
I'd go with the non-ACM mounts, knowing full well vibration might increase. Run 'em 'till they rot away. Keep an eye on the ACM mounts. If the prices start to fly up, pick up a set for the future. Keep them in the box and you could more than likely eBay them if the van dies before the non-ACM mounts do.

#21 ·
Before doing the non ACM mount mod, realize a different engine bracket is needed to hold on the LX motor mount. You are talking roughly $180 to start and time to remove the old engine engine bracket in a poor access space and install the new bracket. I installed a Westar rear ACM mount for $85 . Minute vibrations at idle on the steering wheel really upset me. Bit the bullet and bought OEM rear mount from Honda village( lowest price). It was night and day.That's with Muzzled installed. Idle is smooth as silk.

#22 ·
There are engine mount OBDII codes for Honda. P0A14, P0A15, P0A16, P0AB8 (Engine Mount 'B' Control Circuit/Open,) P0AB9, P0ABA, to name just a few. My guess is you'll get a code (might not be one of these exact codes) if you remove the ACM mount.

#23 ·
I had westar too at first and the vibrations were minimal yet annoying at first and within 3 weeks it must have weakened because it got horrible. replaced the rear with a Beck Arnley and it was much better. It has gotten worse again so I think the front westar failed. Do we know if the rear or front takes on more of the vibrations at idle? it dramatically improved with the beck in rear I just want to know if the oem front would be that much better than what seems to be a very good aftermarket in the beck. If I knew the front took on more than the rear at idle I would get the OEM one just to ensure it being more smooth

#27 ·
Do we know if the rear or front takes on more of the vibrations at idle?
I guess the front. In the pre-VCM vans, only the front mount was liquid-filled to absorb engine vibration at idle. This mount was engaged at idle speed to provide maximum cushioning.

(The side mount was liquid-filled too, but it had no speed-sensitive control. Also, its position meant it supported the weight of the engine, but it was not exposed to nearly as much engine vibration as the front and rear mounts.)

Dave

#25 ·
They just arrived today, but I printed off the return labels on Rockauto.com and bought the OEM mounts from Honda Village. Total with shipping was $876.34 including shipping. This was about $200 less than Majestic Honda.

I finally decided to just bite the bullet and get the OEM ones. The left and right side mounts were replaced last September and are OEM. Now I will finally have OEM all the way around.

I previously had Beck/Arnley mounts, which did a great job early on, but they failed in 8 months and I've been driving around with broken front/rear mounts ever since.

I'm confident that the OEM will last much longer, especially with the VCMuzzler installed.

After this Odyssey dies several years down the road, I'm switching to the Sienna.

#28 ·
Great...Now you guys got me thinking about how good or bad my engine mounts are...even though I don't have ACM. I do have the slightest bit of a shake at idle when in gear...had it for a couple years. 139K miles. I supposed it's not out of the realm of possibilities that the mounts are worn out all the way around.

#30 ·
I canceled the order for the OEM mounts. At 142k miles, I shouldn't put nearly $900 into two mounts. I'm going to install the Anchor mounts with a friend. He works at the Nissan proving ground here south of Phoenix. He said not to plug ACM mounts in and they should last longer. He said they also shouldn't thrown a code.

I'll report back here after we've done them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.