E85, or Ethanol- Okay to use??
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E85, or Ethanol- Okay to use??

E85, or Ethanol- Okay to use??

We have an 05 Ody, need to know if you can use E85?
    If you can't and your stupid like I thought you read you could what should you do if you just filled up and have only ran 18 miles????:

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: E85, or Ethanol- Okay to use??

I know you can use up to 10% Ethanol.. With 85% mix I doubt it. Double check your manual, it usually says there.. and check this site too. I don't see HOnda listed, it's mostly American vehicles but not all American brand either.

http://www.e85fuel.com/e85101/flexfuelvehicles.php

Originally posted by beclar
    We have an 05 Ody, need to know if you can use E85?
    If you can't and your stupid like I thought you read you could what should you do if you just filled up and have only ran 18 miles????:
    2006 EX-L Sage Brush/ Olive w/ Navi+RES

Accessories:
    Fog Lamp
    Splash Guard
    Moon Roof Visor
    Nose Mask
    Door Edge Guard
    Floor Mats - Taupe
    Odyclub.com Sticker
    i-VTEC Emblem
    Delivered: 09/12/06

Ok my next question is you meant you fill up your tank w/ E85 by accident?

I think the best thing to do is stop your vehicle and don't use it. Have it tow to a local mechanic and if possible, purge out the E85 assuming you have full tank and refill it with a regular gasoline. You don't want any engine/pollution control damage on your vehicle and if you did, this wll void your warranty assuming the Ody doesn't use E85 which is likely the case...

edit: I would like to add the reason of bringing it to your local shop: most states or local ordinance stated its illegal to purge gasoline out of your tank except w/ qualified mechanic and has to be done at a particular safe place with proper approved equipment. This is has to do with safety, ie static electricity.. etc etc.. (remember you have to be properly grounded to purge out the gasoline on your tank)
    Last edited by Yurs Truly; 08-21-2005 at 03:33 AM.
    2006 EX-L Sage Brush/ Olive w/ Navi+RES

Accessories:
    Fog Lamp
    Splash Guard
    Moon Roof Visor
    Nose Mask
    Door Edge Guard
    Floor Mats - Taupe
    Odyclub.com Sticker
    i-VTEC Emblem
    Delivered: 09/12/06

Thanks for help

I was sure I had read it was okay, and now I am positive from researching all night, and being terrified it is not. My husband said we should could have it siphoned out.

Thanks for your help.

After reading this thread I was going out to my van to get the owners manual and wondered why I can't access it online. I checked at the Honda Owners Link but could not find anything so I sent Honda a letter requesting this feature. A sample of the letter is shown below in case you want to chime in:

August 20, 2005

Honda Automobile Customer Service
    Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746

It would be a great service to your Honda owners to have vehicle documentation
    available on your Owner Link web site. Items such as the Owners Manuel, service
    manuals, etc. with search capability or have them available as downloadable PDFs.

I hope you will consider this request.

Your Signature

Your Name
    Any Street
    City, State ZIP

BTW, I did go out to the van (95 out there ) and the manual states:

"Some gasoline today is blended with oxygenates such as ethanol or MTBE. Your vehicle is designed to operate on oxygenated gasoline containing up to 10 percent ethanol by volume and up to 15 percent MTBE by volume. Do not use gasoline containing methanol."

Elsewhere it says they strongly recommend that you NOT use fuel with manganese-based additives such as MMT.

I understand the ethanol part and used 5 or 6 tanks of it on a recent trop to the midwest. But I don't have a clue what MMT and MTBE are.

Best thing you can do is either drain it yourself or just drive it on a long trip and get it out of there. It's hardest on the fuel lines, fittings, gaskets and the longer it's in there the more damage it can do. You'll probably have low power, but even better to burn it off. It won't really hurt the engine, not one tank anyway. By the time it gets towed to a shop and drained, you could have gotten it out of there on your own.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

Thanks for the link, I am just educated on a new type of fuel, E85. Never heard this before.
    2004 Odyssey SSM EX
    1993 Toyota Camry

My Tahoe was capable of running E85. I didn't have a good experience with it. Lower power, lower mpg, hard winter starting. I'd have hated to tow with a tank of E85.
    '12 MDX
    '05 EX-L R&N (gone)
    '08 Pathfinder
    '10 Camaro

Thanks for all of your help everyone

We are having the van towed tomorrow morning, as no one wanted to help on a Sunday. Too scared to drive it and ruin that warranty, or anything in the fuel system. Or at least nothing more than I have already done.

Thanks again for your help. I still don't know where I read it, but I have read my manual from cover to cover before now, and just did it again trying to figure out how we got the wrong info.

I guess at least maybe no one else will make this dumb mistake with their ody's.

Thanks again for all the help.

A tankful of E85 should not be a big issue. The problem with ethanol is compatibility with the vehicle's plastics, specifically those of the fuel system. The plastics on the fuel system are not designed to run more than 10% ethanol as a sole fuel but a tankfull should do no damage. After you get to half a tank refill it with gas and you will limit the exposure even further. Ethanol is a crappy fuel from every performance perspective. It offers lower fuel economy (thus increases CO2 production) and lower power. It simply serves as a subsidy for our corn farmers. Essentially all other benefits (except for lower Nox) are pure hogwash.

IMHO ethanol benifits are that it cuts our reliace on oil as that will run out some day....

Alternatives to either engines ran on gasoline or to gasoline itself MUST be found before the oil runs out.

This most likley will not happen in my lifetime.

BTW the bottom line is $ per mile, NOT miles per gallon.......
    Keep it breezy,
    KiteSquid

P.S. The wind is like air, only pushier.

Current rides:
    '05 Ody EX-L Silver Pearl Metallic/Grey with dealer installed Towing Package. Self installed Splash Guards, Cross Bars, Cargo Net, Gutter Guard A/C Evaporator protector, aftermarket cargo box, cargo area mat (stolen from previous ride '99 Tahoe)
    Door Stop Removal (SquidMod #1)
    Off Road use only Headlights (my post is about half way down the page)
    Want to install: Kleen Wheels, Window Visors, Sunroof Visor & Bug Deflector.

'07 Yamaha Royal Star Venture, Galaxy Blue/Raven
    '06 Accord LX SE, Silver
    '01 Ariens 1742 ZTR, Orange
    '50 Harley-Davidson FL, Light Blue (For Sale but NOT cheep)

Previous rides:
    '91 Nissan Sentra, Silver
    '99 Chevrolet Tahoe, silver
    '94 Harley-Davidson FLSTC, two tone red
    '91 Chevrolet Caprice, white
    '86 Chevrolet Corvette (150 HP of Nitrous Oxide), deep red
    '81 Kawasaki KZ1100D, black
    '79 Chevrolet Camero Berlinetta (over 550 HP when I sold it), Brick Red
    USS McInerney (FFG-8), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) Plankowner, Haze Grey and underway
    USS Mobile Bay (CG-53), Haze Grey
    USS Leyte Gulf (CG-55) , Haze Grey and underway, again....

Ok, maybe I am really stupid for asking this question. When I go to the gas station I usually see regular, mid-grade, and premium. I put the regular unleaded in the tank.

This thread seems to be over my head. How do I know I am not putting the wrong gas in my Ody? I have no idea if I have ever filled up with E85. Does the E85 mean that it is 85 octane with Ethanol?
    05 Midnight Blue Ody EX-L with RES
    00 GMC Jimmy 4WD
    -----------------------------------
    Pre-ODY Days:
    02 Ford Mustang Convertible
    00 Hyundai Sonata (TOTAL Lemon)
    90 Plymouth Acclaim
    86 Chevy S10 Extended Cab
    84 Chevy Cavalier
    84 Plymouth Turismo
    77 Dodge Omni (Paid $200)
    79 Dodge Diplomat

Originally posted by Babby
    Ok, maybe I am really stupid for asking this question. When I go to the gas station I usually see regular, mid-grade, and premium. I put the regular unleaded in the tank.

This thread seems to be over my head. How do I know I am not putting the wrong gas in my Ody? I have no idea if I have ever filled up with E85. Does the E85 mean that it is 85 octane with Ethanol?
    E 85 is sold in some midwestern states. Pumps that contain ethanol are clearly marked as such. In wisconsin and minnesota 10% ethanol is the rule rather than the exception. I have personally never encountered E 85.

Hey Babby,
    NEVER use E85 in your Ody. Like one other person said, the tank is a whole separate unit at least here in Illinois. It is clearly marked, and has warnings. I just was under the understanding I could use it. now we know otherwise.

17. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements