Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Should I Switch to High Mileage?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  MrRangerZr1 
#1 ·
Hey folks,

My 2010 EX-L is approaching 130k miles. Its been muzzled since 100k miles. I've been using 5w-30 full synthetic (5k miles interval) from the beginning and it has no leaks. I been noticing that it burns 1 quart every 3k miles. (I changed the PCV valve not too long ago) Should I switch to high mileage full synthetic oil (hoping it will burn less) or just stick to regular full synthetic?

Thanks

#4 ·
From what I've read the High Mileage just contains additives to prevent the oil seals from leaking. The additive supposedly swells the seals so they have less tendency to leak as they age. It's great oil and if you switch I'm sure it will work well. However, if you're not having any oil leaks you probably don't need to switch. If you do switch you shouldn't switch back since you may well have a leak after switching back. Before I knew this I switched to HM somewhere around 100K because the label said for 75K and up and I kind of wish I hadn't.

All that said, I'm using it and have 150K on the van with no leaks. I use about 1/2-3/4 quart between maintenance minder oil change intervals. I did replace the front seal at my timing belt change.

There are some others here that know a lot more about these oils than I do, though.

#7 ·
From what I've read the High Mileage just contains additives to prevent the oil seals from leaking. The additive supposedly swells the seals so they have less tendency to leak as they age.
I've read (looking for link) to use Mobil1 high mileage in power equipment with no oil filters (snow blowers, pressure washers, etc.) because of their improved anti-wear properties. I have no idea if it's true.

#6 ·
I just go by the maintenance minder which usually comes out to around 6-7k mile intervals. It might burn maybe a quart at most in between but I don't think it's quite that much.

Every engine is different. I've no clue why yours burns more than mine.

#11 ·
Nothing I've read suggests that the HM reduces consumption other than it's supposed to help control leaks a little. I have no first hand experience with it. I've been running it since about 100K and have no leaks so...no reason to switch back. There's nothing wrong with it. From what I've read it's good oil. I just probably didn't need to switch to it.

#15 ·
I think you'd do more damage trying to get out the carbon with seafoam than just leaving it be. If you have a ring issue, you can usually tell with a leakdown test. It's not like the Odyssey has a stressed motor; 244 HP/240 lb/ft of torque out of a 3.5l V6 is not something that is stressing any internal parts.

If you put any grade or type of Mobil 1 in your engine (provided it meets the SAE specs and manufacturers' weight spec) it won't make much difference either way.

#13 ·
No. If you're using a reputable synthetic with a 5,000-mile OCI, you're probably nowhere close to using up the detergent package.

With that oil change regimen, your engine will most likely outlast the rest of the vehicle.

OF

#16 ·
First, what brand of HM did you use? I know that the Penzoil HM is a dino-based oil, not synthetic. And John is right, mainly HM works because it has extra additives to help the seals. Of course, there are internal seals as well, which it's supposed to help - not sure how much it helps those.

John, to my knowledge, there should be no problem going back and forth between a HM and full synthetic. In fact, I run conventional in my Expedition now, and burn very little between oil changes. When running HM, I would burn at LEAST a quart per thousand miles. It boggles my mind even. My '05 Odyssey with ~240k miles maybe burns half a quart every oil change, at the MM like you do, running either full synthetic or synthetic blend. Then again, if you're losing nothing, no need to change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.