Honda Odyssey Forum banner

sliding door rubber adhesive melting?

12K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  dvpatel 
#1 ·
First off, my apologies if this has been covered in another thread, I may not know the right words to use to describe what's even happening. On the rear of the passenger side sliding door of our 2009 ody there are two rubber strips, one on top of the other. The more interior strip has come halfway out and there's a copious amount of black sticky goop basically everywhere at this point- there's even a large amount that seems to have transferred to the sliding door where it makes contact with this rubber. I assume the black goop was the adhesive that was holding the interior rubber strip in place and that it has at this point melted due to extreme Texas heat.

I showed one of the service department reps at the local honda dealer this morning and he recommended talking to an auto glass repair shop because the rubber overlaps with some trim attached to the window- he at least acted like it wasn't something the dealer's service department would fix. What are these rubber strips called, and who fixes this kind of thing? I have tried to attach two photos below.

Tire Auto part Vehicle Car Automotive wheel system

Tire Material property Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. That's a new one I've not seen before. Did you buy this van new? If not, I suspect it's been wrecked and that window and/or seal replaced. I actually agree with your dealer's assessment. You probably want to take it to an auto glass shop. You can get a new rubber seal for $10 but (and I could be wrong here) the window may need to be removed, cleaned up, and that seal glued back in with the window.

REAR WINDSHIELD - QUARTER GLASS for 2006 Honda ODYSSEY

#3 ·
#4 ·
My van got rear ended from the rear on the drivers side. After the repair was done, I saw this HORRIBLE glue all over the interior just like yours but on the drivers side. It sticks to your hand and clothes and WILL NOT come off. The glue is called abro window sealant. Why can't people just do a neat job instead of doing a sloppy job and many cases, do it all over again?

The other day I was at the Honda dealer and they were moving the cars inside the showroom. The people treat the cars like trash! He starts up a 16' civic turbo and puts it in drive immediately without letting the thing idle for 2-3 seconds! He had to change gears a few times and he didn't even come to a complete stop when switching from drive to reverse!

I thought that guy lost his mind. I then went to see some new cars I wanted to buy, sales person takes me to the garage and I CANNOT believe my eyes. The cars are touching each others bumpers! But even worst, he takes me for a spin around the garage to find another car. He started up a new 16' civic turbo and SLAMS that shifter lever into drive and drives 60 MPH in the garage, taking sharp turns and nearly hitting other cars.

#6 ·
I don't think you should complain about the sun direct or window cleaning have caused the melted or sticky rubber strips. Many old cars do not have this issue. This is Honda choice that it continues using cheap and low quality rubber materials. Why not use a high quality rubber like wiper blade or tire which are more durable.

#7 ·
I just had this exact issue happen to me on my 2009 Odyssey. I’m the only owner, purchased new back in 09. I usually park it in the garage, but was working on a project in there, so left the car in the driveway for July and August. im guessing the hot Summer sun heated up the tar like adhesive and caused it to get soft and sticky. The flap unlocked itself and got pulled out when the sliding door opened. Still trying to figure out how to get it back in, hopefully without cutting out the back quarter window.

#8 ·
This likely is the melted sliding door stop. I had this mess. Used WD40 to take it out. Wet a cloth rag with WD40.

That rubber melts and falls and then makes a huge mess.

Reactions: WiiMaster
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.