Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Steering wheel cruise and audio controls do not work

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  hchavezepj 
#1 ·
My 2005 Ody steering wheel controls just stop working. Both cruise and audio controls are inoperable. Has anybody out there had this problem before and share how you resolved it?. Also, does this model have an Airbag clockspring, unit like old honda models, that replacing it would solve this problem?
Thank you all.

#2 ·
Yes, there's a clockspring. Since two separate systems (cruise and audio controls) are affected I'd say the likelihood of clockspring failure is high but there's no way to know for sure without testing it. The clockspring is about $100 so you might want to test it before just buying a new one.

#4 · (Edited)
That depends. It depends on your skill level and the tools you have. A little bit of electrical knowledge will be needed but I think if you have a multimeter and can read a wiring diagram you should be able to test it. You can get wiring diagrams here:

Search Wiring Diagrams

The specific diagram I'd start with is this one:

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=115534

Most likely there is a broken wire or wires in the clock spring. You need to be extremely careful, though, as you don't want to deploy an airbag while doing a continuity test. A continuity or ohm test actually sends a small voltage across the wire to check it's resistance. Though it's most likely too small to set off the airbag you definitely don't want to send that small voltage to the airbag just in case.

If it were me I'd probably start with voltage checks on the white wire and green/red wire on the cable reel. I'm guessing there's voltage on that white wire going into the cable reel from the audio unit and there should be the same voltage on it on the other side on the green/red wire coming out of the cable reel. You will probably need to remove the airbag to check it.

The other method would be to pull the plug on the audio unit and check wires A3 and A11 with an ohm meter for varying resistance depending on the steering wheel buttons you push. If it varies in resistance when you push buttons then the clockspring is good. If it's just open circuit then the clockspring is bad. If you can get to those same two wires right at the plug for the clockspring you might not have to pull the audio unit. Pulling the column shell and lower dash panel will likely be necessary to get to them. If you can get access to it, just unplug it and check for continuity on those two wires #11 and #12 that go to the steering wheel buttons. That's probably the easiest way.

#7 ·
I purchased the clockspring at a Honda dealer from Texas at relatively lower cost than my local dealer. I followed a youtube video of a Accord 00-07 removal of clockspring and it was almost the same with a few variations.
First, did not have to disconnect horn.
Second, had to loan a steering wheel puller from Autozone to remove wheel.
Third, had to purchase two metric bolts #8 - 1.25 (same lenght as the ones in the loaner tool) in order to fit in the steering wheel and use the puller. It will make a popping sound as you pull it out.
Fourth, to detach clockspring from top you need to push down on a dual retainer to free it. Use two screw drivers or if possible one. Its located under the two cables on top. If not you will break it.
Hope this will help another DIY mechanic.

#8 ·
I purchased the clockspring at a Honda dealer from Texas at relatively lower cost than my local dealer. I followed a youtube video of an Accord 00-07 removal of clockspring and it was almost the same with a few variations.
First, did not have to disconnect horn.
Second, had to loan a steering wheel puller from Autozone to remove wheel.
Third, had to purchase two metric bolts #8 - 1.25 (same lenght as the ones in the loaner tool) in order to fit in the steering wheel and use the puller. It will make a popping sound as you pull it out.
Fourth, to detach clockspring from top you need to push down on a dual retainer to free it. Use two screw drivers or if possible one. Its located under the two cables on top. If not you will break it.
Hope this will help another DIY mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.