Battery down, readiness codes and state inspection
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Battery down, readiness codes and state inspection

Battery down, readiness codes and state inspection

I have a 2005 Odyssey (EXL/RES/NAV) with over 7500 miles on it. I recently moved from PA to NJ and therefore required a new state inspection in NJ. Unfortunately, just before I was planning to go for inspection, my battery went dead (my rear hatch light was ON for a week). After jump start and driving for about 100 miles, I took it for inspection and inspection failed because the readiness codes in the computer were not set.

I took it to dealer #1 and dealer asked me to drive a few more miles. I drove another 100 miles (200 miles since jump start) and again inspection failed.

Again back to dealer #1 but the dealer wasn't really forthcoming to fix the issue.

I went to dealer #2 and he is now working with American Honda to fix the problem. They followed all instructions in the manual (page 373 of owner's manual talks about steps to get the readiness codes set again). They thought the computer is bad and replaced the computer. Still no luck.

Now the dealer is saying that a technical engineer from American Honda has to come down to the dealer to investigate the issue further. The van has been in the shop for 1 week now and not sure how much more they would take. They did give me a loaner car as I have Hondacare warranty.

The van is perfectly drivable but the only problem is I don't have a valid inspection sticker.

I haven't directly called American Honda yet. I will probably wait till end of the week to see if they can fix it. The dealer #2 is definitely helpful and giving me once-a-day updates with what's going on.

Jagan

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

Re: Battery down, readiness codes and state inspection

Originally posted by gvjagan
    I haven't directly called American Honda yet. I will probably wait till end of the week to see if they can fix it. The dealer #2 is definitely helpful and giving me once-a-day updates with what's going on.

Jagan
    Don't wait!!! Call Honda now.
    05 EX-L/ Nav/Res Sagebrush Pearl/Ivory

hi i own a 05 ody. i also own a automobile repair shop in ny and i also performed nys inspection which is similar to nj insp. your problem is not a vehicle problem . all you have to do is performed the so call obdII drive cycle . it consist of some specific driving condition. is not only how long you drive it . the eng. computer must see certain driving condition in order to set the obdII monitors to "ready" or "complete". go online to nj dmv and look up obdII drive cycle and drive it following the procedure in it. i see this situation very often and is not a vehicle or manufacture problem. ps out here vehicle that failed for monitors not been ready get a one time ten days insp. extension therefore vehicle could be driven to set monitors to ready.

flaco,

Thank you for the response. I forgot to mention that the dealer actually followed obdII drive cycle and checked the monitors as well (as per Honda's instructions and not NJ DMV's).

I will get the vehicle and will try out NJ DMV instructions this weekend.

Thanks again
    Jagan

i forgot to mention that some monitors will not run unless the ambient temperture (outside) and engine temperture (coolant) are within 10 degee fareingheit of each other before vehicle is started. good luck.

7. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements