Do run flats suck that much?
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do run flats suck that much?

Do run flats suck that much?

I've been thinking of geting another odyssey so iv'e been test driven a couple of 2008 EXL's and ive noticed they are very rough riding. They did have run flat tires. I ruled out those two vans because they were just to rough driven.

The one i drove today was a little different i drove it a little longer.
    This one started off real bad, I made it one block before i had to pull over to make sure it didn't have a flat. I was going to just go back to the dealer, but decided to take it on the fwy just to see. After a few minites it smoothed out, the faster i went the better it got. Then realized it was also got better at slow speeds also. The ride back was much nicer, but still not near as smooth as my 2005 with regular tires. I assume it was because the run flats warmed up?

Is this typical of run flats and cold weather? Im' thinking i should have driven the other 08's longer before dismissing them.
    Last edited by Yourfishman; 01-10-2017 at 11:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

I've never driven on them but just make sure you buy one knowing you'll need to spend at least $1000-1500 on new tires and wheels.
    2008 Odyssey Touring-Silver
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black
    2002 GMC Sierra SLT LB Z71-Red
    1998 Nissan 200SX SE-Blue

Also, think about continuing support for that tire-wheel combination (the wheels are specific to run-flat tires, and cannot be used with any conventional tire setup). If the tire endures a puncture during a family vacation, you may have to seek help with a tire shop that can work on a run-flat system, and those may be few and far in between.

All told, you have a to weigh the benefit of the run-flat system against a lot of other variables. Conventional tires have really improved over the past few decades in terms of rubber compounding and construction. I'm an old coot, and the durability of everyday tires (not run-flats) is so much better than what it was in the 1980's.

OF
    2003 Ody EX-L RES 158k miles, OEM fogs & hitch, bbylon5 screen mod, chuck k fog mod#2, cnn 82C t-stat mod
    2002 Ody EX RES 164k, Ditto on above.
    1998 Accord LX215k. DIY: Haynes 676 ATF cooler; T & acc belts & tensioners.
    1982 Ebbtide DynaTrak bass boat, 200hp Merc, DIY re-fit 2006-07: CMC jackplate, Teleflex Canada Steering, Torque-Shift 14-26 vari-pitch SS prop
    SNAPPER mower 5.5hp Honda

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There are tons of threads on PAX (aka run-flats) but the initial issues with the last one you drove could be due to flat spots due to the vehicle sitting on the lot for a few days.
    When I use this smilie ===> Hidden Content I am NOT calling you stupid. Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

The value of a forum such as this one is not in that one can post a question and receive an answer, but in that the question has most likely been asked before, and the answer is available to him that will but only use the Hidden Content .

2007 EX-L R&N, Slate Green with Olive (couldn't muster up the courage to trade my 1999 baby) ... Ours

2001 Emerald Green Pearl Accord V6-LX (Replaced the POS Taurus) ... Hers ...
    ..... Tranny replaced 6/4/08 @ 67,977 miles.
    ..... Tranny strarted slipping only 8,414 miles after the replacemnt.
    ..... 2nd tranny replacement 9/21/2009 @ 76,659 miles.
    1999 Sterling Mist Nissan Maxima SE with Bose and 6 Disc CD Changer in the trunk ... All Mine

1993 Maroon Ford Taurus GL (Was a POS after the clock turned 60K Miles) ... Traded for the Accord

alexmish1's Hidden Content
    alexmish1's Hidden Content

As far as I can tell, the direct answer to your question is "YES" (they do suck that bad)

If they were so awesome, they would have worked their way down to every car by now, even econoboxes. But the reality is they are super expensive, they force you to live EVERY DAY with a rougher ride, they make it harder to easily replace when you need to (because not every tire shop stocks them). So you live every day with downsides yet your upside is protecting against some relatively remote scenario where you have a flat on a remote highway in the dark and rain and either changing to your spare or calling a tow truck is such a downside that the possibility of driving at 50mph for up to 40 miles or whatever is a much more appealing alternative. I'd venture to say that most people go through life NEVER having a flat, or for those who are unlucky enough to have one, they call AAA or change the spare themselves and then drive to the tire store and on their way. I'd prefer to have lower priced tires that ride better and then risk that I need to waste a couple hours in the very unlikely event that I have a flat. With runflats in their savior scenario (out on that remote stretch of highway) you're likely to drive into the small town with that single tire store and find out that they don't carry your replacement runflat anyway, so then what do you do? Check in to the Days Inn for 48 hours while they order it for you?

It's a nice idea in theory and if the driving characteristics were exactly the same and they were equally stocked in stores as normal tires then I think the extra price could still be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
    I've never driven on them but just make sure you buy one knowing you'll need to spend at least $1000-1500 on new tires and wheels.
    Good point.
    Yeah i'm thinking of going back and test driving a nice 2008 over again, this time give it some time for the wheels to warm up. I certainly won't be keeping those wheels. i just want to know that it can run nice and smooth before i buy one.

I picked up some new MDX rims yesterday off craigslist for $400, they weren't my first choice in rims, but the price was right.

Like these. 19" ACURA MDX 2014 2015 2016 FACTORY OEM OE RIM WHEEL 71819 SILVER | eBay
    The down side is the limited tire choices in 245-50-19's, for that size I'm leaning toward BF GoodrichG-FORCE COMP-2 A/S.

As long as you pay attention to the load ratings and overall diameter I think you'll be OK.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan773 View Post
    As far as I can tell, the direct answer to your question is "YES" (they do suck that bad)

If they were so awesome, they would have worked their way down to every car by now, even econoboxes. But the reality is they are super expensive, they force you to live EVERY DAY with a rougher ride, they make it harder to easily replace when you need to (because not every tire shop stocks them). So you live every day with downsides yet your upside is protecting against some relatively remote scenario where you have a flat on a remote highway in the dark and rain and either changing to your spare or calling a tow truck is such a downside that the possibility of driving at 50mph for up to 40 miles or whatever is a much more appealing alternative. I'd venture to say that most people go through life NEVER having a flat, or for those who are unlucky enough to have one, they call AAA or change the spare themselves and then drive to the tire store and on their way. I'd prefer to have lower priced tires that ride better and then risk that I need to waste a couple hours in the very unlikely event that I have a flat. With runflats in their savior scenario (out on that remote stretch of highway) you're likely to drive into the small town with that single tire store and find out that they don't carry your replacement runflat anyway, so then what do you do? Check in to the Days Inn for 48 hours while they order it for you?

It's a nice idea in theory and if the driving characteristics were exactly the same and they were equally stocked in stores as normal tires then I think the extra price could still be worth it.
    Yeah, I'm kind of amazed how bad those were.
    Funny thing is the guy who had the nicest 08 van was braging how smooth his van was. I wanted to let him drive my 05 to what a smooth ride is.

Thanks for the feedback

As long as you pay attention to the load ratings and overall diameter I think you'll be OK.
    Yeah, diameter is 28.6" so plus 0.6" , so plus 2MPH at 85mph. With a 105w.
    TR gave some good overall reviews, just probably not as quiet as the Continentals i like.

Are you sure they had run flats on them? I noticed you said you test drove a couple ex-l's, the only problem is the ex-l came with regular tires. The touring came with the wonderful run flats that everyone loves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kscha41 View Post
    Are you sure they had run flats on them? I noticed you said you test drove a couple ex-l's, the only problem is the ex-l came with regular tires. The touring came with the wonderful run flats that everyone loves.
    Hum,,, Now that i look at the different rims,,, no i'm not sure. One was a Touring, the other two were EXLs,

I see one Honda rim that looks similar to run flats, but it's not. I guess it could have been front end issues with crap tires on the EXL's i'll have to pay closer attention.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Not all Tourings came with run-flats. My 08 didn't come with them.
    2011 VW Jetta SE-Black

Not all Tourings came with run-flats. My 08 didn't come with them.
    True, I believe it became a option in 2008. Now, when are you gonna sell me your non pax touring rims? Lol

One of those days,,, The MDX rims I bought appear to have the wrong bolt pattern. It looks like the 2014, 15, 16, MDX are 114-5

My touring did not come with run-flats also. YES they suck. I am sure you have friends that have a Prius. Make sure to get their opinion. At work to date I know 6 people that lost almost half day due to flat (Prius comes with run-flats and some models do to come with a spare tire). Drive down to the nearest dealer and pay about 1100 bucks for new tire(s). Fun, fun, fun.

There are may other brands and models, not picking on Prius. Just a great example. Everyone seems to have at least one of these now.
    |-2008 Ody T 84K@5/2016 VCMuzzler2; Goodyear Assurance 3Tread, (90040) TruCool LPD 4544 +Magnefine 3/8in filter; All Wheel bearings replaced; Centric rotors+Akebono pads; 4 ATF d/f; oem cargo tray; weathertech floor liners; New thermostat + ect1 sensor (89k); (93537) Airlift 1000 bags, Interior LEDs; 94600mi TB, SP, PS fluid;
    |-2001 Ody EX (sold 149k mi)
    |-2000 Accord EX V6 Coupe (232k, sold, downsizing)

18. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast