Headlight Restoration (Lens Haze)
NEWS

1. Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums – General discussion forum for Honda Odyssey

Welcome to Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums - a website dedicated to all things Honda Odyssey.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums today!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Headlight Restoration (Lens Haze)

Headlight Restoration (Lens Haze)

I'm interested to know if anyone has restored their hazy headlights with either a DYI kit or through maybe an auto restoration service. Since we plan to keep our '05 Odyssey for the foreseeable future and the lenses are deplorable, I feel it's something I must address for safety reasons if for no other reason...it's the biggest eye sore on our van right now.

The 3M system gets good reviews on Amazon, and I like the fact that it involves sanding at various grits and polishing, as opposed to just squirting something on them and rubbing them. Some have said that 1 kit ($30) is barely enough for one lens, so given the size of an Odyssey headlight, I'm assuming I would want to consider getting 2 kits ($60) just to be safe.

The other option is used OEM or aftermarket for much more $$$, but I'd rather just restore what I have, if it can get them back to an acceptable condition.

I see that some local places offer the service, which also includes the sanding method, etc., for $100 (for 2 headlights), so I'm considering that option as it's not a whole lot more expensive.

Just curious of others' experiences.

2. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

There was another thread on this topic started recently.
    FYI: I'm sure you already know this, but just in case someone else doesn't: if you haven't already done so, it's typically good etiquette to first search for your question then post if your search is unproductive.

I've used the Meguiar's (I think? - "Headlight Restore") version and had decent results. However, you will need to pick up some UV blocker or your issue will return quickly. The prior post mentioned a product that serves this purpose but the name escapes me.

Plastics decompose with sunlight, which is why we've started seeing this issue with "modern" headlight assemblies.

I like the new shapes they can make with injection molding but miss the days of the glass headlight assembly...:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scubacamper View Post
    There was another thread on this topic started recently.
    FYI: I'm sure you already know this, but just in case someone else doesn't: if you haven't already done so, it's typically good etiquette to first search for your question then post if your search is unproductive.
    Yes, I'm aware of the whole etiquette thing, tried multiple word searches with no results, so either the Ody Club search engine is unlike any others I've used, or I'm just incompetent.

As of this morning, I've decided to go the more expensive route ($95+tax) for having a local mom and pop shop do it. I know they have a good reputation in our area. They utilize "The Illuminator" system that requires sanding down the headlights, going from coarse to extremely fine grit, polishing and eventually sealing them again. They claim they have excellent results. I could save some money and do it myself, but I don't think I'd have the patience to do a thorough job.

I'll post pictures of the results...the appointment isn't until late February.

5. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

here is a thread with some info I provided.
    Headlight clearcoat
    Silver/Grey 2005 Odyssey EXL R&N
    White 2009 Maxima SV Premium & Tech

RIP: Dark Green 1995 Nissan Maxima SE - deer collision

The 3M headlight restoration kits do a wonderful job. There are different versions, but most are less than $20. Check out Amazon and you'll see the 3M kit for $14.
    As you have learned, the key is wet sanding with ever increasing fineness of sandpaper before final polishing step. You will have to repeat this every couple of years as the UV coating will be removed and they will haze up again. You can prolong the interval by applying a clear laminate film such as Laminx.

Lamin-x Protective Films : Headlight, Tail Light and Fog Light Protection

I have been using Plastix which is a plastic polisher and a drill / pad. Works well if the hazing is not too bad, takes about 10 minutes to do then add the clearcoat to finish.
    05 EX-L Midnight Blue Pearl
    01 EX (traded in)
    97 CRV (traded in with 183k miles)
    09 CRV EX
    16 HRV EX

I used 3M kit then protect them later with Optimum Glass Coating
    Hidden Content
    2000 Dinan S1 E39 M5, 2006 Dinan E53 X5 4.8iS, 1990 Z32 Straman verTT
    2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L

I used a $10 kit from Harbor Freight and it worked fine. Had enough to do two lenses on my Odyssey. Just be sure not to leave the polishing wheel on one place too long, or run the drill at too high of a speed, or you risk "burning" the plastic lens a bit.

Deluxe Lens Renewal System

Mine wasn't too bad, just yellowing at the top. I polished it with NuFinish to remove the yellow and then waxed it a couple of times with the same NuFinish. Been 4 months now and is good so far.

I used a kit with the 850-1500-3000 grit pads then a polish with a ball. I think all of those work pretty well. You have to hit it with sand paper to have any luck unless the haze is very minor.
    'Mine look new now. I think it was a Meguiars but any kit with sand paper should work

13. Remove Advertisements
    OdyClub.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread